LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Which of Our Aging Veteran Do You Worry Will Be Hardest to Replace?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which of Our Aging Veteran Do You Worry Will Be Hardest to Replace?

I bring this up because we do have some vets getting long in the tooth with the clock ticking. And although we are pretty young on both sides of the ball there is a window for us to get that 6th SB, especially for those vets. I have my thoughts about who I think will be the toughest to replace but I want to see what fellow Zoners think.

Thoughts?
As much has Gore has meant to us I think Hunter, James, etc can replace him. Sopoaga has been as good as (probably even better than) Franklin and I would expect that RJF or Ian Williams could replace him. Still think if we can get him resigned he could go 3-4+ more years though. Goodwin to me is average and if we don't feel comfortable with Kilgore, Slowey, Beeler we can use a high draft pick and easily replace him. The main thing is mental for young centers and learning the calls and adjustments. Those guys can match him physically. Rogers will be tough to replace but again that's 3 or so years away. I think Culliver and Brown can do that but we might pick up another CB in the draft early. Anyways, any answer besides Justin Smith is wrong. We might be able to plug a good DE in there but none will be able to match what Justin brings. He's brings as much if not more to this defense than Patrick Willis and any other player on this team.

I would rank them...
1. Justin
2. Rogers
3. Sopoaga
4. Gore
5. Goodwin

Still not too worried because I think Justin has at least 3 years left... Sopoaga 3-4+ if we re-sign him, Rogers 3 years, Gore has like 1-2 but James/Hunter are ready to replace, Goodwin will be replaced after this year.

Edit: Another guy is David Akers. He has to years left and will be 39 by then. If he is still doing well and we want him back I am sure he would sign for a 1-2 more years to end his career. Between him and Nedney I can't go back to crappy kickers.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM ]
None. Justin Smith will play till 40 and all others are replaceable.
Justin Smith is simply dominant and is such a huge part of the defense. It would take a miracle to replace him.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
As much has Gore has meant to us I think Hunter, James, etc can replace him. Sopoaga has been as good as (probably even better than) Franklin and I would expect that RJF or Ian Williams could replace him. Still think if we can get him resigned he could go 3-4+ more years though. Goodwin to me is average and if we don't feel comfortable with Kilgore, Slowey, Beeler we can use a high draft pick and easily replace him. The main thing is mental for young centers and learning the calls and adjustments. Those guys can match him physically. Rogers will be tough to replace but again that's 3 or so years away. I think Culliver and Brown can do that but we might pick up another CB in the draft early. Anyways, any answer besides Justin Smith is wrong. We might be able to plug a good DE in there but none will be able to match what Justin brings. He's brings as much if not more to this defense than Patrick Willis and any other player on this team.

I would rank them...
1. Justin
2. Rogers
3. Sopoaga
4. Gore
5. Goodwin

Still not too worried because I think Justin has at least 3 years left... Sopoaga 3-4+ if we re-sign him, Rogers 3 years, Gore has like 1-2 but James/Hunter are ready to replace, Goodwin will be replaced after this year.

Edit: Another guy is David Akers. He has to years left and will be 39 by then. If he is still doing well and we want him back I am sure he would sign for a 1-2 more years to end his career. Between him and Nedney I can't go back to crappy kickers.
Good points. But we really could replace Goodwin now with not much drop-off if we wanted or needed to.
Justin smith by a looooong mile. The Terminator is just too dominant.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Brian Jennnings
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Brian Jennnings
i would have said justin smith but jennings is a great choice
Justin Smith

/end f**king thread
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Justin Smith

/end f**king thread

^ this

Originally posted by I-U-Porta-Poties:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Justin Smith

/end f**king thread

^ this

He brings so much unique effort and play. Yeah, tough to replace Justin Smith. Kinda like BY with not only the talent but the type of character and hustle.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
smith
The Not Dallas Cowboy Justin Smith
i'm more worried about being able to keep all these young studs were are developing. I know its a big IF, but if Crabtree steps up, we'd have to sign him long term right? Bowman is only gonna get better, we need to lock him up. Culliver is also showing some potential...
Originally posted by Sinsation:
i'm more worried about being able to keep all these young studs were are developing. I know its a big IF, but if Crabtree steps up, we'd have to sign him long term right? Bowman is only gonna get better, we need to lock him up. Culliver is also showing some potential...

Can't keep everybody. That's why you have to draft guys replacements and sometimes fill in with free agents for a year. With the cap it just isn't possible. We can use Culliver by the time he's due up a new contract it would be time for Rogers to step aside as a full time starter. Then you still are drafting guys behind Culliver It's just constant turnover.
[ Edited by lamontb on May 24, 2012 at 1:40 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone