There are 226 users in the forums

Whats your choice of approaching the draft

Whats your choice of approaching the draft

Rebuild the front 7 or oline
We have $, and rookies are cheap. Buy two OL starters in FA, and secure one pass rusher (inside or out, don't matter). Go into the draft able to go BPA in the first, and secure the potential QB of the future if he's there, get a monster pass rusher if there's no value available at QB.

A lot will depend upon what (if anything) Tank, Brown, Kilgore, Hodges, and Gabbert are able to display through the rest of the season.
BPA
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
We have $, and rookies are cheap. Buy two OL starters in FA, and secure one pass rusher (inside or out, don't matter). Go into the draft able to go BPA in the first, and secure the potential QB of the future if he's there, get a monster pass rusher if there's no value available at QB.

A lot will depend upon what (if anything) Tank, Brown, Kilgore, Hodges, and Gabbert are able to display through the rest of the season.

This wouldn't distress me at all.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd draft two of the top OT's...no guarantee AD's coming back in 2016 and Staley's showing wear. If they re-sign Boone (I think they should), pick at least one top OG. Baalke needs to draft a stud DL (maybe two) who can become a star. Draft a pass rusher (in essence to replace Aldon). Take a QB to develop. Draft at least one stud RB to provide some quality depth behind Hyde. Draft an ILB. Draft a WR (or two) with some real speed. Draft a CB and a S. That should do it.

Yeah that is not all happening in one draft or potentially even 2 drafts. They wont be able to fill every single need in one year. This is a 2-3 year rebuild at minimum.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is a 2-3 year rebuild at minimum.

Yep. And if they go all Redskins on us by trying to win right now & signing a bunch of expensive FAs, then we can expect many years of mediocrity. They need to take the time to do this thing right.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Only two options?

Yeah! Where's the option to draft a kicker to replace Dawson?
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Round 1: OL
Round 2: OL
Round 3: DL
Rounds 4-7: Anything else

1. OL
2. OL
3. P

Thats much better.
Earlier in the season, it would have been to draft Goff. But, with Gabbert balling out, it has taken the pressure off of the QB position and it allows the 49ers to address other issues. There really aren't any premiere pass rushers in this draft, or top end WRs, so I think the team should go with whatever best player is available.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
My approach is to stay still if we're one of the Top 7 picks and will be more than happy if one of these playes fall to us.

My Personal Top 7: Tunsil; Nkemdiche; Bosa; Stanley; Jaylon, Ramsey and Clark

Then the fun begins:

R2) Su'a Cravens; LB - USC

R3) Roberto Aguayo; PK - FSU

R3 COMP) Shawn Oakman; DE - Baylor

R4) Send to Washington for RG3 (could become a 3rd round based on performance)

R5) Jalen Mils; FS - LSU

R5 - San Diego) Braxton Miller; WR - Ohio State

R6) Devonte Fields; DE - Louisville

R6 - Dallas) Keith Marshall; RB - Georgia

R7) Derek Farniok; OT - Oklahoma

Olb olb olb. Then ol.

Roll with gabb for now and reassess him next year.
Jaylon Smith if we stay out of the top 5.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Depends when we pick and who's on the board. If we somehow have a shot at Tunsil, Bosa, or Nkemdiche, I'd take them. After that, it's Jared Goff. If you can get a franchise QB for $4 million a year on a 5 year deal, that's hard to pass up when you have to pay average QB's $15 million a year.

Jaylon Smith is on the short list for me after Goff and is the safer pick, but if you hit on Goff, you get multiple elite players for the cost of one average QB because you save more than $10 million a year.

Who knows how the front office views Goff, Lynch and the other prospects though...

Goff is no Garentee for a franchise qb. He's probably half as praised coming into the draft as Gabbert was
[ Edited by fan49 on Dec 11, 2015 at 1:00 PM ]
There's a few glaring holes on this team, so I'd like to see the team grab an instant impact player. My worry is if we fall out of the top 10 we'll miss out on those guys. My approach then, would be to trade up so we don't miss out on a Smith or Nkemdiche if he falls. Make this defense so talented that it can overcome mediocre coaching.
Originally posted by fan49:
Goff is no Garentee for a franchise qb. He's probably half as praised coming into the draft as Gabbert was

At this point, the odds of Goff becoming a franchise QB are higher than the odds of Gabbert becoming a franchise QB (still not great). If Goff ends up being nothing more than average, I'd still take him on a rookie deal over a number of franchise QB's who are being paid $15+ million a year. I don't think people realize how much Gabbert will get paid if he plays well next season. You're not just getting Goff if you pick him in the first - you're also saving a ton of money versus keeping Kaepernick or Gabbert as the starter.
Share 49ersWebzone