There are 164 users in the forums

Whats your choice of approaching the draft

Whats your choice of approaching the draft

I know alot of people are wanting to go head first on Jaroed Goff, but im more wanting to go Defense. Bring the pain and pressure back to our Def. go after Bosa, Jaylon Smith. A player who can either stuff the run and cover or keep the pressure on a QB.
[ Edited by DeHubb on Dec 10, 2015 at 5:55 PM ]
The one with the best value.
They've been going defense at the top end of the last three drafts, though. Must be time for some love for the offensive side of the ball. Not QB though. Maybe Laquon Treadwell or trade back and take Taylor Decker or Jack Conklin. I would go after Derrick Henry as well if he's there in round two. The guy is criminally underrated on draft boards.
Depends when we pick and who's on the board. If we somehow have a shot at Tunsil, Bosa, or Nkemdiche, I'd take them. After that, it's Jared Goff. If you can get a franchise QB for $4 million a year on a 5 year deal, that's hard to pass up when you have to pay average QB's $15 million a year.

Jaylon Smith is on the short list for me after Goff and is the safer pick, but if you hit on Goff, you get multiple elite players for the cost of one average QB because you save more than $10 million a year.

Who knows how the front office views Goff, Lynch and the other prospects though...
Only two options?
BPA.....DL, OL, ILB, OLB or QB.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:15 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
They've been going defense at the top end of the last three drafts, though. Must be time for some love for the offensive side of the ball. Not QB though. Maybe Laquon Treadwell or trade back and take Taylor Decker or Jack Conklin. I would go after Derrick Henry as well if he's there in round two. The guy is criminally underrated on draft boards.

So, is OK to draft a WR and not QB?! Are you serious? Get a decent QB first before you think about getting a WR. As for Derrick Henry, he is probably too slow for the NFL.
Not enough choices. Draft Conner Cook.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
There's no point in drafting a QB if Tomsula stays, cause after we fire Jim after next year the QB will be learning another system in his second year and we'll wreck him like we did Alex.

Originally posted by Rascal:
So, is OK to draft a WR and not QB?! Are you serious? Get a decent QB first before you think about getting a WR. As for Derrick Henry, he is probably too slow for the NFL.

Well, I guess we have different definitions of "decent" quarterback. I happen to think that Kaepernick and Gabbert both fit that, and don't see anything to suggest that the prospects in this draft would be any better in five years. Derrick Henry ran 4.45 40 coming out of HS. At 243 pounds I think he had the highest SPARQ score ever recorded at the Nike Combine.
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
Well, I guess we have different definitions of "decent" quarterback. I happen to think that Kaepernick and Gabbert both fit that, and don't see anything to suggest that the prospects in this draft would be any better in five years. Derrick Henry ran 4.45 40 coming out of HS. At 243 pounds I think he had the highest SPARQ score ever recorded at the Nike Combine.

He had the 3rd highest Nike Combine score in 2012. The top guy doesn't even start for Texas Tech and the 2nd guy was a RB at Alabama before passing away. He does have plenty of athleticism though and maybe he'll gain quickness if he cuts weight like Bell.

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mike_mitchell_913804.html
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/551308/altee-tenpenny

http://espn.go.com/high-school/football/events/nike-sparq-combines/2012/results
I'd draft two of the top OT's...no guarantee AD's coming back in 2016 and Staley's showing wear. If they re-sign Boone (I think they should), pick at least one top OG. Baalke needs to draft a stud DL (maybe two) who can become a star. Draft a pass rusher (in essence to replace Aldon). Take a QB to develop. Draft at least one stud RB to provide some quality depth behind Hyde. Draft an ILB. Draft a WR (or two) with some real speed. Draft a CB and a S. That should do it.
Round 1: OL
Round 2: OL
Round 3: DL
Rounds 4-7: Anything else
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd draft two of the top OT's...no guarantee AD's coming back in 2016 and Staley's showing wear. If they re-sign Boone (I think they should), pick at least one top OG. Baalke needs to draft a stud DL (maybe two) who can become a star. Draft a pass rusher (in essence to replace Aldon). Take a QB to develop. Draft at least one stud RB to provide some quality depth behind Hyde. Draft an ILB. Draft a WR (or two) with some real speed. Draft a CB and a S. That should do it.

If we had two picks in every round we could get that done.
Share 49ersWebzone