I just worry how much tread o. The tires he has left

Been doing a lot of Oregon's running the last 4 years
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Would be perfect in our scheme
Dude just broke Lamichael James all time Oregon rushing record
And is the 19th FBS player to eclipse 5000 total yards

Originally posted by Quest4six:
Are you saying that since James didn't have a successful career... Freeman will also be a bust?

Do I have your reasoning right?

When u bring up tha comparison of tha two then yes

How is someone breaking another players record comparing the two?
If anything we should also bring up the list of the 19 other RBs to break 5000 and compare them also
Feels like he has been in college for decades.
Feels like this guy is just kind of flying in under the radar. I think he'd be great in this offense, has very good vision and balance, decisive, not the fastest guy but if the 49ers were to move on from Hyde he is someone that could take over the main workload at RB.
Royce Freeman, Senior, Oregon

What he has: One of the smartest backs in the draft, Freeman consistently makes the right read as a zone runner, absorbing all aspects of the defensive front and making split second decisions based on defenders' movements. He's excellent at manipulating linebackers and taking advantage over gaps that aren't leveraged properly. Freeman isn't explosive, but he is agile and his advanced mental processing allows him to take advantage of any sliver of space he sees up front.

Stylistically, there are a lot of similarities to Jordan Howard, including their zone-dependent skill sets, but Howard breaks more tacklers and runs a little more physically. Freeman isn't a bruiser, but he is slippery, and shows good balance to absorb contact and keep churning forward for additional yardage. He's also a better receiver than Howard, who has been held back a bit by his inabilities in the passing game.

What he has to prove: Freeman just isn't that explosive or athletic, which is probably going to ding him in the pre-draft process. His limitations may hurt him in a gap-heavy scheme as he isn't a traditional downhill runner, and he won't be a tackle-breaking wrecking ball at the next level. Pass protection is huge for all the backs in Mobile, but Freeman has a ton of experience, and teams will want to see that translate to positive reps in protection.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-senior-bowl-preview-running-backs/

Ideal fit as a zone runner. He's drawn a whole lot of comparisons to Alfred Morris in terms of running style, I'm sure he's a guy that will be on Kyle's radar. I like how he often does that little jab step before cutting back and finding the opening to pick up a huge chunk of yards.

I agree with the Alfred Morris comp, and think he can see similar success in our zone scheme. Not overly athletic, but solid size and elite vision. The tread on his tires makes me hesitant to use as high of a pick (late day 2?) That his talent warrants.

I love Royce Freeman's tape. Dude is athletic but also powerful and built to last in the nfl. Solid mid round back and I see plenty value in him there.

How's this thread only two pages?!
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Mar 3, 2018 at 10:35 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
I love Royce Freeman's tape. Dude is athletic but also powerful and built to last in the nfl. Solid mid round back and I see plenty value in him there.

This draft is loaded at the position...pushes him down to 5th or 6th best prospect.
Originally posted by jcs:

This draft is loaded at the position...pushes him down to 5th or 6th best prospect.

Yup and that's great news for us. Is he really rated that high? I hardly ever hear people talk about him. Seems like there are like ten RBs around here talked about more than Freeman.

By the way, According to Heroism, he's one of the five or so RBs that have met with our staff so far.
5"11 . 234 pounds. 4.54 40. 3rd best 3 cone drill among RBs. 3rd best 20 yard shuffle.

Draft profile has his comp as D'Onta foreman(who was one of my favorite RBs last year) but I think he's a quicker version of Foreman.

Let's get this train rolling
5"11 . 234 pounds. 4.54 40. 3rd best 3 cone drill among RBs. 3rd best 20 yard shuffle.

Draft profile has his comp as D'Onta foreman(who was one of my favorite RBs last year) but I think he's a quicker version of Foreman.

Let's get this train rolling

Impressive. When is he projected to go?
Share 49ersWebzone