LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 392 users in the forums

The "drafting a QB late" folly.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Colt Brennan...whatever happened to that guy?

sad truth....... last i saw he was making commercials for an air conditioning company
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I don't think drafting a QB late and thinking he turns into your franchise guy is very smart. But I do think that Blaine Gabbert could very well be a better long term QB than any of the prospects in this upcoming draft.

If we take a QB in round 1, Gabbert is absolutely gone in 2017. I don't think that's acceptable.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The latest I'd go QB in this draft is 3rd round.
  • thl408
As much as it's a mistake to take a QB late and hope for a miracle, it's more of a mistake to overdraft a QB because the team needs a young QB to build around. Don't take a QB in the 1st round because he's the best QB that year, take a QB in the 1st round because he is deserving of a 1st round grade.

He got into a real bad car accident a few years ago while in Hawaii with his girlfriend at the time. He was in the hospital for awhile. I want to say this was around the time he played for the Raiders. He went to Canada for a bit and played for the LA Kiss in 2014.
Why not Hogan from Stanford in the 3rd?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by thl408:
As much as it's a mistake to take a QB late and hope for a miracle, it's more of a mistake to overdraft a QB because the team needs a young QB to build around. Don't take a QB in the 1st round because he's the best QB that year, take a QB in the 1st round because he is deserving of a 1st round grade.

thl408 sighting in the DraftWarRoom!!

But I agree with you about over drafting, which is I think Carson Wentz in the 2nd round would be perfect and may satisfy many fans if drafted IMO. We will see though how Wentz does in the Senior Bowl it may rise or drop his stock.
I, like many, am not enthused by the "top tier" QBs in this draft. I would prefer this strategy:

First round: Take the best OT or OLB available. These are the two most pressing needs.

Second round: Look at which QB prospects that were considered "first rounders" who may have fallen. Hackenberg from Penn State might fall because of how badly his team performed. Someone always falls further. We might even need to trade this pick and another to get back into the first like AaronRodgers.

Third round: OG, OLB, and/or OT, depending.

Fourth or fifth round: Take another QB! Dylan Thompson is hot garbage and we definitely need to double down!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by thl408:

thl408 sighting in the DraftWarRoom!!

But I agree with you about over drafting, which is I think Carson Wentz in the 2nd round would be perfect and may satisfy many fans if drafted IMO. We will see though how Wentz does in the Senior Bowl it may rise or drop his stock.

I think the league has and will compensate for the over drafting of QBs. The same thing used to happen with RBs, but now you only see one or two drafted in the first round because the value is later. I don't think the swing will be quite as drastic since QB is still the most important position, but guys like Ponder,,Tannehill, and others of their ilk will start slipping to the second or later where they belong.
WOW!

What a list. Really puts into perspective just how hard it is drafting a "Star" QB.

Even when drafting one in earlier rounds is a crap shoot.

Hasselback seems to be an exception - so far.

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Brandon Allen will go in the third round. And depending on his bowl performance...

Though he seems projected for the 6-7th!
[ Edited by fropwns on Nov 30, 2015 at 4:27 PM ]
Originally posted by E-49er:

He got into a real bad car accident a few years ago while in Hawaii with his girlfriend at the time. He was in the hospital for awhile. I want to say this was around the time he played for the Raiders. He went to Canada for a bit and played for the LA Kiss in 2014.

Oh wow
Originally posted by fropwns:
Brandon Allen will go in the third round. And depending on his bowl performance...

Though he seems projected for the 6-7th!

Yeah he's going to be a late round pick. I know you're an Arkansas fan but to me he just seems like a dime-a-dozen late round QB pick, a guy who has some great games in college, thrills the fans, does absolutely nothing in the NFL. I see him sticking around as a backup in a best case scenario.

Aaron Murray, a similar QB, came out of the SEC, playing in a pro style offense as well with a better resume than Allen and its doubtful that he'll do anything in the NFL either after being taken in the 5th round by the Chiefs.

Allen is a great college QB but has no real elite traits for the next level, as with the vast majority of QB's picked late in the draft. Lots of guys with some nice stats but limited upside. Even in terms of Arkansas QB's I don't see him as a better prospect than Ryan Mallett or Tyler Wilson.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/nfl-takes-notice-of-arkansas-brandon-allen/npWpQ/

"Over the summer, scouts viewed Allen as a camp arm and long shot to be drafted, but with his productive senior year, he will receive draftable grades from some teams as he's shown the necessary skills to develop into a backup at the next level," he wrote at CBS Sports.com. "He isn't great in any one area, but he's confident and resilient, and he understands his strengths and weaknesses, not trying to be someone he's not on the field."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 30, 2015 at 5:10 PM ]
Tom Brady 6th round.

Boom.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Tom Brady 6th round.

Boom.....

And how many other guys did absolutely nothing over a period of 20 years. For every Brady that you hit on as a late round pick there's like 40 other guys that don't do a thing in the NFL. Its why they call it the exception to the rule.

In 20+ years not a single 5th rounder has become a quality consistent starter......three 6th rounders and no 7th rounders have done it out of 6-7 late round QB's from each draft since 1993.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone