LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

Hunter Henry, TE, THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fropwns:
I do like Bell, but neither McDonald or Bell are better than Henry.

Considering the team's many other needs, what they have at TE is sufficient for the time being.

It may even been more than that now that there is a QB that doesnt have a phobia about throwing to the middle of the field.

We really have no clue how good any of the TE's can be if they have a QB that throws it to them regularly.
I agree with some of this, but McDonald's play was not solely the problem of Kap throwing in the middle of the field. The dude straight up dropped tons of passes for us. Maybe, it was too much heat? I don't know. But McDonald has flat out under performed. He has shown life. Certainly, we need O-line and some D-line help. We need help all over.
[ Edited by fropwns on Nov 28, 2015 at 4:15 PM ]
I agree with some of this, but McDonald's play was not solely the problem of Kap throwing in the middle of the field. The dude straight up tons of passes for us. Maybe, it was too much heat? I don't know. But McDonald has flat out under performed. He has shown life. Certainly, we need O-line and some D-line help. We need help all over.

The criticism about McDonald ignores that the guy has never gotten regular targets. He would get one like every other game, whether he caught it or dropped it he would not get another. Hard to develop any consistency like that.

Do I think its a coincidence that suddenly guys like McDonald, Celek and Patton are making plays with Gabbert at QB? Not at all.

Everyone thought that this team had a WR and TE problem. To me it looks like maybe they had a QB problem with a guy that was very dynamic but didnt have very good vision or awareness.

Going back through the tape of past games, these guys have been getting open, they have been doing their job. Its only recently that theyve getting rewarded for it. I invite anyone who doubts this to take the time and look for themselves.

I think now that guys know they will get targets, its incentive to work even harder to get open and make plays, knowing that the QB is looking to deliver a well thrown ball your way.

I think its worthwhile to wait and see how the rest of the season unfolds before deciding that this team has a need at TE. If Celek and McDonald continue to perform, with Bell and Anderson in the wings, it will be hard to argue that TE merits an early round pick.

Only time will tell. I think Hunter is a fine prospect, but doesnt fill a pressing need IMO.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
We should also remember this is the 49ers that we are talking about here. Logic has not been their forte. I do think Bell could be gem. I guess all of this comes down to whether Gabbert is the guy, who the next coach will be, and what our scheme will be.
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
No no no.. couldn't disagree more. McDonald is primarily a blocking TE.. I think Bell is better than him... McDonald was one of the worst 2nd rd picks we have ever taken

McDonald became a blocking TE because that is how the coaches chose to use him...in college he was basically a slot receiver that was a terror in the middle of the field. They lined him up everywhere like an oversized Percy Harvin.

Given regular targets, considering his athleticism I do think he can be a consistent weapon as a receiver. His athleticism alone makes him a difficult matchup, now that he has a QB that actually sees the field and will throw to him, im interested to see what he can do.

He has terrible hands though bro
No no no.. couldn't disagree more. McDonald is primarily a blocking TE.. I think Bell is better than him... McDonald was one of the worst 2nd rd picks we have ever taken

McDonald became a blocking TE because that is how the coaches chose to use him...in college he was basically a slot receiver that was a terror in the middle of the field. They lined him up everywhere like an oversized Percy Harvin.

Given regular targets, considering his athleticism I do think he can be a consistent weapon as a receiver. His athleticism alone makes him a difficult matchup, now that he has a QB that actually sees the field and will throw to him, im interested to see what he can do.

Catches most everything Gabbert throws. I'm with Phoenix. The QB previously throwing him the ball wasn't great at finding the open guy and would rather throw the impossible ball. McDonald and Celek are doing a good job as classical TE's. Alex would have killed it with these guys too.

The needs in other positions heavily outweighs taking a TE in the 2nd. If Hunter is the BPA then no problem but even so I think we would trade out and compile picks.
Originally posted by AUniner:

Catches most everything Gabbert throws. I'm with Phoenix. The QB previously throwing him the ball wasn't great at finding the open guy and would rather throw the impossible ball. McDonald and Celek are doing a good job as classical TE's. Alex would have killed it with these guys too.

The needs in other positions heavily outweighs taking a TE in the 2nd. If Hunter is the BPA then no problem but even so I think we would trade out and compile picks.

Must say ive been impressed with mcdonald the past 2 weeks
Only te I would be OK with in the 2nd is oj Howard
Originally posted by NIMV4683:
I prefer Jake Butt but since front office still has vendetta on Harbaugh I doubt they would consider any of his players for future drafts...

Agreed. I love him.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

He'll look great in a Chicago Bears uniform I'm sure.

Originally posted by English:
I like our existing TEs. Sorry Fro.

yep, we have 3 capable TEs. We have much bigger holes to fill
Henry seems to be underrated draft wise, this year for sure. I doubt he would end up a 49er because the TE class as a whole is quite deep this year and it isn't a pressing need for San Fran. So they're not likely to expend a premium pick at the position. I would look for something further down the draft, guy I like a lot is Bucky Hodges from Va Tech. Has the look of a sleeper who could be had on the third day of the draft. O.J. Howard is intriguing for his sheer athleticism, more of an H back type. That said, if they have an extra second round pick at the draft, or if Henry happened to drop to the top of the third, he'd be a great addition.

Caught a TD Pass from an offensive guard this season.

Edit: Oh wait, that was one of his teammates.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Dec 10, 2015 at 9:12 PM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

"Henry was Arkansas' most reliable receiver throughout his three seasons catching passes from Brandon Allen, finishing second on the team in receiving yards each year, and didn't drop a single pass in 2015 as he racked up a career high 647 yards receiving."
Originally posted by NIMV4683:
I prefer Jake Butt but since front office still has vendetta on Harbaugh I doubt they would consider any of his players for future drafts...

You have to all Butt a Brady Hoke player. JH just got there.
Share 49ersWebzone