There are 211 users in the forums

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson - Legit alternative to Jared Goff in 2017?

• jcs
  • Veteran
Watson looking pretty good right now.
Originally posted by jcs:

Against backups no?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jcs:

Not really, pocket presence looks shaky as hell but that's expected since he's a rookie. But I remember Kaepernick looking horrible his rookie year first preseason game vs. New Orleans. Things slowed down for Kaepernick after sitting his first season, if Savage can play that 2011 Alex Smith role it would take a lot of pressure off Watson.
He looked pretty good to me. Tribusky looking nice as well
Originally posted by lamontb:
He looked pretty good to me. Tribusky looking nice as well

Peterman looked solid as well according to social media.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 10, 2017 at 8:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Not really, pocket presence looks shaky as hell but that's expected since he's a rookie. But I remember Kaepernick looking horrible his rookie year first preseason game vs. New Orleans. Things slowed down for Kaepernick after sitting his first season, if Savage can play that 2011 Alex Smith role it would take a lot of pressure off Watson.

Do us all a favor and point out the plays below where his pocket presence "looks shaky as hell". It was the exact opposite, which is what every commentator who watched the game on ESPN/NFL Network pointed out when discussing his performance. He looked very smooth and under control. Other than overthrowing the seam pattern on the second play, he played really well.

• He looked comfortable on bootlegs.
  • He stood inside the pocket on his dropbacks unless forced out by the pass rush. Several times he stepped forward and moved around within the pocket to avoid pressure.
  • He correctly identified a corner blitz and hit the hot route.
  • On his TD run, he stepped up in the pocket to avoid the pass rush and immediately diagnosed man coverage which left him space to very smoothly btw tuck and run 15 yards.
  • Other than the one seam pattern, his accuracy was on point.

It was just a preseason game, but for anyone to look at the video below and utter the words "shaky as hell" and then say "I remember Kaepernick looking horrible his rookie year first preseason game" is just ludicrous. Seriously, what game and what player were you watching?

From PFF:
Deshaun Watson was under pressure more than any other rookie passer over the first preseason games, feeling the heat on 16 of his dropbacks (53.3 percent). He attempted twelve passes, completing seven of them for 98 yards and a passer rating of 84.7. Like Trubisky, Watson also added value with his legs, scrambling three times for 24 yards and a touchdown.

*Two of those incompletions were as a result of a drop and a receiver who illegally touched the ball after stepping on the sideline.

From The Houston Chronicle:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Texans rookie quarterback Deshaun Watson calmly surveyed his surroundings while defenders gave chase, keeping his gaze locked downfield to pick out his targets.

When Watson discovered there was too much of a crowd surrounding his receivers, he made a quick, aggressive decision while operating out of the shotgun formation.

Watson scrambled untouched into the end zone for a 15-yard touchdown run during the third quarter of his NFL debut Wednesday night in a 27-17 preseason loss to the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium.

Displaying uncommon poise for a young quarterback along with elusiveness and sound decision-making, the precocious first-round draft pick from Clemson delivered some impressive moments while adjusting to the jump in competition.

"This is professional football, this is the highest level of this sport," Watson said. "It's going to be faster, bigger guys, smarter guys. At the same time, I'm doing the same thing they're doing: watching film and trying to play fast.

Watson was too fast for most defenders using his mobility to create passing lanes. He routinely avoided pressure for the majority of the game, but was sacked a total of three times and was pulled out of the game and replaced by Brandon Weeden after being sacked on consecutive plays in the fourth quarter.

In relief of starting quarterback Tom Savage, Watson completed 15 of 25 passes for 179 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions for an 81.9 passer rating.

The former consensus All-American and Heisman Trophy award finalist was patient when things broke down around him, throwing the football away to avoid interceptions.

"That's one of my goals is to take care of the football," Watson said. "Especially at this level, you can't turn the ball over. That's one of the biggest things we focus on is to protect the ball."

Watson wasn't perfect, but he showed plenty of potential during his first NFL action. He had some misfires and missed reads, but was steady overall.

"A lot of things," Watson said when asked what he needs to improve on. "We'll be able to correct the mistakes and the passes that I missed. It was a good day overall. I did what I needed to do and felt comfortable doing it."

Watson showed off his arm strength on a 65-yard incompletion in the first half. He delivered a perfect throw on a slant to running back Akeem Hunt for a 16-yard completion. His first NFL pass was a six-yard completion to tight end RaShaun Allen.

The touchdown run was his biggest highlight.

"I was just extending the play," Watson said. "That's what coach OB always tell me. If it's there, do what I do. Don't change and try to force anything: extend the play. I saw a hole and tried to get in the end zone and I did."

Watson avoided pressure when there were protection breakdowns. He seemed unfazed when penalties were committed. And he wisely got down and broke into a smooth slide to avoid getting hit during a scramble.

[ Edited by TheBlueHell on Aug 11, 2017 at 9:20 PM ]
Rookie qbs all looking like they all belong so far. I really want this class to prove people wrong.
He didn't look that good this last game. Accuracy looks like it will be a concern.
Originally posted by Chibamarines:
He didn't look that good this last game. Accuracy looks like it will be a concern.

He's the best set up to succeed and has looked the most shaky of the rookie QBs in my opinion.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

He's the best set up to succeed and has looked the most shaky of the rookie QBs in my opinion.

Also has one of the toughest offense to learn in the nfl. Same type of offense that Brady runs.

Originally posted by gold49digger:

Also has one of the toughest offense to learn in the nfl. Same type of offense that Brady runs.

So that's why Brock Osweiler struggled their.
Rookie qbs all looking like they all belong so far. I really want this class to prove people wrong.

Gonna LOL if years from now this "ultra weak" QB class ends up better than the far more hyped 2018 QB class.

So that's why Brock Osweiler struggled their.

na brock is just ass.
Looked awful vs New Orleans. Just awful
This thread title was prescient, Watson looks about as bad as Goff did last year...he is a legit alternative if you're looking for an undefined qb
Share 49ersWebzone