LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson - Legit alternative to Jared Goff in 2017?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Mike Shanahan, Randall Cunningham and Josh McCown broke down Watson for SI.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/11/nfl-draft-deshaun-watson-stock-round-scouting-report-mike-shanahan-josh-mccown-randall-cunningham

Some comments from the article.

Based on the comments, Watson seems like a highly talented project. Maybe not the best idea to draft at #2 though.
FWIW

Daniel Jeremiah‏ @MoveTheSticks

@FieldGulls his call. I'm cool either way. I'm just telling you, I haven't talked to one team that has a first rd grade on him. (Deshaun Watson)
Lol gtfo

On mobile but ESPN just released an article with three personnel guys saying he will go top 10 at worst and possibly #1 overall.

He just became first QB to win Manning Award b2b.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Lol gtfo

On mobile but ESPN just released an article with three personnel guys saying he will go top 10 at worst and possibly #1 overall.

He just became first QB to win Manning Award b2b.

ESPN's Adam Schefter spoke to two NFL personnel directors and one GM who said Clemson QB Deshaun Watson will be drafted in the top half of the first round.

One source was "supremely" confident in a top 10 selection, another said top-five and one even said No. 1 overall is possible after citing Hue Jackson as head coach. "Would I take him there? No, I would not," one of Schefter's sources said, adding that the process for prospects is like stocks, and Watson's will rise in the coming months. We would not be surprised if Watson is a top 10 pick or outside of the first-round.
Someone's gonna fall in love with him because of his leadership traits and three level of athlete he is. He is a big project though. This guy has good videos on all the QBs but this one kinda surprised me because I thought Watson was further along.

If we were picking 20 I'd love the pick cause if you get him to read the field you got a hell of a weapon. But just watch the video and see how long he has to go in that category.
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on Jan 14, 2017 at 9:26 AM ]
He will be the first pick of round 2 for some team.
If we hired Kyle Shanahan as our head coach, I could totally see him liking Deshaun Watson.

Kyle's offenses uses a ton of boots and waggles off of the stretch runs, so Watson's mobility and athleticism would be a perfect fit. Kyle also likes to move his quarterbacks throwing platform.

Another thing that stood out to me watching the Falcons is that Kyle dials up A LOT of combo routes with hi-lo reads. Deshaun Watson already does that at Clemson. Both offenses also features a ton of short horizontal throws. I could see him making the transition to Kyle's offense.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM ]
trade backa couple spots and get Mike Williams and trade up into the end of the first to get Watson. already have chemistry together and are both playmakers that we desperately need.
Originally posted by Heroism:
If we hired Kyle Shanahan as our head coach, I could totally see him liking Deshaun Watson.

Kyle's offenses uses a ton of boots and waggles off of the stretch runs, so Watson's mobility and athleticism would be a perfect fit. Kyle also likes to move his quarterbacks throwing platform.

Another thing that stood out to me watching the Falcons is that Kyle dials up A LOT of combo routes with hi-lo reads. Deshaun Watson already does that at Clemson. Both offenses also features a ton of short horizontal throws. I could see him making the transition to Kyle's offense.

They would be a great pairing. I think Watson would fit in and adjust nicely to Shanahans system.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
trade backa couple spots and get Mike Williams and trade up into the end of the first to get Watson. already have chemistry together and are both playmakers that we desperately need.

Mike Williams will probably be a top 5 himself

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
He will be the first pick of round 2 for some team.

If thats the case I'd expect a team to trade to the end of the 1st round for him, get that extra year on the rookie contract
Someone will trade up to #1 overall to grab him, happens all the time.

If not he will be our pick at #2.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Not sure about that but if Mark Sanchez can go #5 then I guess Watson can be # 1 overall
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

Not sure about that but if Mark Sanchez can go #5 then I guess Watson can be # 1 overall

Goff went #1 overall last year!

Watson is a much better prospect than Goff and would have went #1 overall last year had he left early.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

Goff went #1 overall last year!

Watson is a much better prospect than Goff and would have went #1 overall last year had he left early.

He is not a much better prospect lol he's a much better college football player.
Share 49ersWebzone