There are 238 users in the forums

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson - Legit alternative to Jared Goff in 2017?

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
People said the same thing about Jeff Tedford QBs unitl Aaron Rodgers shut that line of reasoning up. You can't necessarily dismiss a QB prospect because of his coach.

Rogers also sat and learned for like three years.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Good lord, now you're talking s**t about Watson and his ability to translate to the NFL while hyping a Mike Leach QB?

Because there's a ton of Clemson QB's in the NFL balling out right now correct.

Better yet how many option-one-read QB's from college won a Super Bowl?? Actually let me say this, lit it up in a Super Bowl and took the game over like Montana vs. Miami??
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
People said the same thing about Jeff Tedford QBs unitl Aaron Rodgers shut that line of reasoning up. You can't necessarily dismiss a QB prospect because of his coach.

Rogers also sat and learned for like three years.

(trick question) So did David Carr you don't see him lighting the league up.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Better yet how many option-one-read QB's from college won a Super Bowl?? Actually let me say this, lit it up in a Super Bowl and took the game over like Montana vs. Miami??

You're the one saying he can't play in the NFL because he's some kind of run-first, one-read college QB (which he's not btw), and then you make a point to highlight a QB who literally plays in the most notoriously one-read, one-note air raid offense in college football under a coach who has been making college QBs shine for over a decade using his simple offense that only has like three plays and one read while eschewing the run game altogether compared to most programs.

What he didn't sit out at all lol? He was the 1st pick in the 2002 draft to the Texans and started immediately...the OL got him sacked 76 times that year and he never came back from it.

You must be thinking of someone else.
You're the one saying he can't play in the NFL because he's some kind of run-first, one-read college QB (which he's not btw), and then you make a point to highlight a QB who literally plays in the most notoriously one-read, one-note air raid offense in college football under a coach who has been making college QBs shine for over a decade using his simple offense that only has like three plays and one read while eschewing the run game altogether compared to most programs.

This^ calling Watson a one read QB (which he's not) then saying Falk isn't...I don't think there's been on successful QB that's come from the leach system

Kolohe did you watch that Alabama game? Those weren't all one read plays at all. Would you consider Mariota a one read QB? Both put up similar numbers in a similar offense.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

What he didn't sit out at all lol? He was the 1st pick in the 2002 draft to the Texans and started immediately...the OL got him sacked 76 times that year and he never came back from it.

You must be thinking of someone else.

So he didn't sit and learn with the Giants and 49ers for a few years???

Lol he already started 5 years in Houston...becoming a backup in SF and NY does not even remotely compare to aaron Rogers sitting behind farve his first 3 yrs in the league...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

No, I said I don't think his game will translate to the next NFL, I didn't say he can't play in the NFL. Sure he may get by with a few wins in the NFL, but if he doesn't sit for a few years with a decent team behind him he'll most likely be set up to fail. I just don't see him as a day one start like a Winston and/or Andrew Luck.

And who cares if Falk is a Mike Leach QB, there's no doubt he's got NFL measurables, arm strength, accuracy, good touch on his passes and poise in the pocket. You're kidding yourself if you don't think he'll be drafted high in what will be a weak QB class. With that said, it's not a given Falk's game translates to the NFL successfully either, but I like his chances over Watson.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Lol he already started 5 years in Houston...becoming a backup in SF and NY does not even remotely compare to aaron Rogers sitting behind farve his first 3 yrs in the league...

Sitting and learning is sitting and learning is it not??

Lol not when you've already been thrusted into starting for 5 years...Rogers didn't get sacked 76xs to start his career leaving him shell shocked.

Had Rogers rolled in day one only knowing a college system could have been a much much different outcome for him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

This^ calling Watson a one read QB (which he's not) then saying Falk isn't...I don't think there's been on successful QB that's come from the leach system

Kolohe did you watch that Alabama game? Those weren't all one read plays at all. Would you consider Mariota a one read QB? Both put up similar numbers in a similar offense.

LOL how you keep bringing up Mariota like it means something to me. I honestly didn't think his game would or will translate to the NFL and it's still a little bit of a question mark if it even will. Did I think Mariota was a one-read QB, yes, many times which was the reason I didn't think his game would translate, I also think Mike Murlarkey is the wrong head coach to help him in his NFL career.

And when did I say Falk wasn't a one-read QB, I think he's actually a one to two read QB, but my point is that he utilizes the field and is patient with his receivers letting them develop their routes.

It's like some of you DIDN'T watch the Alabama game and only look at his 400 yards passing, seriously show me where he just scans the field consistently on drives??

And this is only highlights, NFL head coaches can get ahold of the highs and lows of this game.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Lol not when you've already been thrusted into starting for 5 years...Rogers didn't get sacked 76xs to start his career leaving him shell shocked.

Had Rogers rolled in day one only knowing a college system could have been a much much different outcome for him.

Well I guess by your rules then, David Carr didn't sit and learn, OK moving on.
Faulk is mildly exciting. I'm skeptical, but maybe he proves me wrong. Seems like a Matt-Ryan-caliber prospect at best (and Matt Ryan sucks IMO).

Matt Ryan sucks?

We would've won at least 2 superbowls with Matt Ryan in the last 5 season IMO. Matt Ryan may not be Tom Brady but he's far from sucking.
LOL how you keep bringing up Mariota like it means something to me. I honestly didn't think his game would or will translate to the NFL and it's still a little bit of a question mark if it even will. Did I think Mariota was a one-read QB, yes, many times which was the reason I didn't think his game would translate, I also think Mike Murlarkey is the wrong head coach to help him in his NFL career.

And when did I say Falk wasn't a one-read QB, I think he's actually a one to two read QB, but my point is that he utilizes the field and is patient with his receivers letting them develop their routes.

It's like some of you DIDN'T watch the Alabama game and only look at his 400 yards passing, seriously show me where he just scans the field consistently on drives??

And this is only highlights, NFL head coaches can get ahold of the highs and lows of this game.

Well I most certainly watched that game and he moved around in the pocket like a boss. He made NFL caliber throws all over he place. He used his feet when he had to or the play was designed for it,which I have no problem with.

Marcus has shown poise in the pocket this past season and had made great reads even with a s**t line and no playmakers...also we aren't running some pro style offense it's chips offense which Watson could thrive in. Maybe I wouldn't want Watson or Marcus if Murlarkey was out coach but guess what he's not
Share 49ersWebzone