There are 270 users in the forums

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson - Legit alternative to Jared Goff in 2017?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
For those of you who have seen my posts know I have been riding on Jared Goff's bandwagon for a while now. That is true, but I am also trying to think out of the box to explore whether there is really another legit option as opposed to drafting Jared Goff in this coming draft.

So, let me to throw a name out there - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson.

I can't say I have watched a lot of Clemson football, but from what I have seen so far and heard, this kid seems pretty impressive. A little on the short side at 6'2", but he has a tonne of talent and potential.

For those of you who would rather go O-line or D-line in this coming draft in the 1st, the beauty of Watson is he will not be eligible for the draft until 2017.

The only issue and this is a HUGE one is there is no way to know whether we will be drafting this high again come 2017. Common sense says we will probably be drafting lower which means Deshaun Watson could be out of the question.

But, in the meantime, any thoughts on this kid?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/08/16/deshaun-watson-could-be-nations-most-talented-qb/
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I posted this. Again for some reason as my login was expiring my name went missing in the post.
Good QB but if we are not going to draft a QB this year I would prefer to wait for Josh Rosen.
Kid is better than Rosen (and I know Rosen is a freshman). Keep in mind that Watson is less than a year off of ACL surgery. Vegas just put him with second best odds for the Heisman today, but he will be an absolute monster next year as he continues to get more explosive. Not a running QB per se, as he is a polished thrower, but he is very mobile and can make plays with his legs. It's his arm and his brain that separate him though. Kid is just a perfect QB prospect. Great touch on short, intermediate, and deep balls. Can't wait to see him next year once his favorite target, Mike Williams, comes back. Stats will be ridiculous.

Great kid off the field as well and very intelligent. A natural born leader.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Thanks for the input, just like I thought, extremely impressive.

But, again there is no way to know we will be drafting high enough to land him and I just don't know how we can get around that.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
Good QB but if we are not going to draft a QB this year I would prefer to wait for Josh Rosen.

I agree with TheBlueHell, I think Watson is easily better than Rosen.
Wow
That kid has some touch
What a passer
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:

I agree with TheBlueHell, I think Watson is easily better than Rosen.

Josh Rosen is a freshman. What he has done so far is absolutely unbelievable. He has a chance to be great in the coming years. There is never a guarantee of anything but this guy is way ahead of the curve by any standard.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Josh Rosen is a freshman. What he has done so far is absolutely unbelievable. He has a chance to be great in the coming years. There is never a guarantee of anything but this guy is way ahead of the curve by any standard.

Not saying Rosen isn't special, but here is Watson as a true freshman last year. He was ahead of the curve from the get-go (he threw 6 TDs in his first start).

[ Edited by TheBlueHell on Nov 25, 2015 at 5:16 PM ]
Looks good. I am going to have to check out a Clemson game in its entirety to get a better look at him.

He reminds me of a more accurate Michael Vick and because of that I'd be nervous about him. Then again it's likely he'd be the #1 guy in next year's draft and I'm hoping we won't be THAT bad.
Originally posted by genus49:
He reminds me of a more accurate Michael Vick and because of that I'd be nervous about him. Then again it's likely he'd be the #1 guy in next year's draft and I'm hoping we won't be THAT bad.

Accuracy is one of the most important attributes a QB can have. Why would that make you nervous? Unless he has Michael Vick's work ethic, I see no issue. Mobile QB's in and of themselves are not bad. It all boils down to their openness to playing from the pocket.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Looks good. I am going to have to check out a Clemson game in its entirety to get a better look at him.

See what I mean about this kid? I wasn't joking when I said I was really trying to find an alternative option to drafting Jared Goff in 2016. But, right now the analysts are already saying DeShaun Watson will be the No. 1 QB prospect in the 2017 draft. It will most likely take a top 5 if not top 3 pick to land him.
He will be on ESPN this Saturday at 12pm EST trying to go 12-0 against rival South Carolina. He beat them 35-17 last year while playing on a torn ACL (he tore it the week before in practice but told the coaches he wanted to play and thought he could be effective). Clemson also had the #1 defense last season and the #5 defense this year, so not saying their success has all been Watson or anything. He just has elevated the play of everyone around him.

He'll be playing next Saturday night in the ACC Championship game on ESPN/ABC.

In watching every game of his career, I would not compare him to Vick at all. He has never had that quick-twitch explosion, but he just kind of glides and bounces like a cat. His coach says he is "Tom Brady with legs" lol. Hyperbole obviously, but he definitely is a pass-first guy who just happens to be able to run when needed.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

See what I mean about this kid? I wasn't joking when I said I was really trying to find an alternative option to drafting Jared Goff in 2016. But, right now the analysts are already saying DeShaun Watson will be the No. 1 QB prospect in the 2017 draft. It will most likely take a top 5 if not top 3 pick to land him.

That's something else I was thinking about. One of my friend's is a Redskins fan and we were talking about the Rams-Redskins trade. Even though it clearly didn't work out, from the Redskins perspective, I still say it was the right move. When you have an opportunity to get a franchise QB, you make the move. So I began asking myself, if we put together a nice team around Blaine Gabbert through the draft and free agency and he demonstrates that he is not the guy, would it be worth it to make the kind of trade? Sounds crazy, but I say yes, provided that the entire roster is stacked and we just need the right man at QB.
Share 49ersWebzone