LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

DE Carl Nassib Penn St.

I'm officially driving the Carl Nassib bandwagon. The dude is going to be a pro-bowl-caliber player in the NFL IMO.

He has everything you want in a DL. He' constantly pushing his guy back on running plays, and he disengages & lunges to the RB better than anyone else in college football. Obviously, he doesn't have the raw power of a Nkemdiche, but he has the kind of motor & quickness off the snap that will make him look like Nkemdiche in the 4th quarter IMO.

He does it all. He runs around his guy, he squirms through the OL on both passing & running plays, he bull-rushes, he has a great swim move, his attitude is possibly the best in college football...

Want. Want badly. Must-draft guy if people are ridiculously looking at him as a guy going in the 50s or 60s.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
I'm officially driving the Carl Nassib bandwagon. The dude is going to be a pro-bowl-caliber player in the NFL IMO.

He has everything you want in a DL. He' constantly pushing his guy back on running plays, and he disengages & lunges to the RB better than anyone else in college football. Obviously, he doesn't have the raw power of a Nkemdiche, but he has the kind of motor & quickness off the snap that will make him look like Nkemdiche in the 4th quarter IMO.

He does it all. He runs around his guy, he squirms through the OL on both passing & running plays, he bull-rushes, he has a great swim move, his attitude is possibly the best in college football...

Want. Want badly. Must-draft guy if people are ridiculously looking at him as a guy going in the 50s or 60s.

Awhile back I said the team needed head bangers like Nassib or Scooby Wright on the defense and was accused of being racist.
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
Awhile back I said the team needed head bangers like Nassib or Scooby Wright on the defense and was accused of being racist.

That's because people are either window-licking stupid or trolling. Either way, it's not worth your time.

That said, I'm not as big of a fan of Scooby Wright as most people. He's good, but I don't know that he's Chris Borland good. He's probably better than Wilhoite.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jan 19, 2016 at 11:54 PM ]
That's because people are either window-licking stupid or trolling. Either way, it's not worth your time.

That said, I'm not as big of a fan of Scooby Wright as most people. He's good, but I don't know that he's Chris Borland good. He's probably better than Wilhoite.

Wright and Nassib don't seem to get a lot of draftnik respect considering their accomplishments on the field. Hard to say if that sentiment is shared by the pro scouts though.
M
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
Wright and Nassib don't seem to get a lot of draftnik respect considering their accomplishments on the field. Hard to say if that sentiment is shared by the pro scouts though.

Neither get that much respect, but they are already seen at being close to there peak in terms of potential. Have the first round picks are based off of potential not actual foot ball skill. These guys can ball and will both be solid football players in the nfl. I don't know about pro bowl but it definitely could happen. For sure day 2 guys (early)
Originally posted by Bjones84:
M
Neither get that much respect, but they are already seen at being close to there peak in terms of potential. Have the first round picks are based off of potential not actual foot ball skill. These guys can ball and will both be solid football players in the nfl. I don't know about pro bowl but it definitely could happen. For sure day 2 guys (early)

I wouldn't put Wright in the same category as Nassib. Wright is a poor man's Chris Borland IMO: great against the run, not extremely fast, sub-par in coverage. I think he's rated right around where he should be.

Nassib is an elite prospect IMO. One of the 15 best non-QBs in the entire draft.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jan 20, 2016 at 4:52 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

I wouldn't put Wright in the same category as Nassib. Wright is a poor man's Chris Borland IMO: great against the run, not extremely fast, sub-par in coverage. I think he's rated right around where he should be.

Nassib is an elite prospect IMO. One of the 15 best non-QBs in the entire draft.

hahah what makes him wright a poor mans Chris Borland! They are both short, not fast guys. They both have extremely high motors and a nose for the football. They are both smart and have very good football instinct. I think they are practically the same player.

And Nassib is long and lanky. He's very good but what I mean by the potential thing is, analyst see him as being a tweeter do to his inflexible hips and his tall pad height. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's not a fantastic football player and nfl prospect. He's definitely and elite talent. I'm just saying the reason he's not looked at more like Carl Lawson, ogbah, dodds, or others is that he has some athletic limitations and he already has a high motor and high football skill. While some of these other guys are mostly just better "potential athletes".

Again to reiterate, both will be solid nfl football players. One has a higher ceiling obviously while, but both have pretty high floors as well.

A word that comes to mind when speaking about both of them is relentless!
hahah what makes him wright a poor mans Chris Borland! They are both short, not fast guys. They both have extremely high motors and a nose for the football. They are both smart and have very good football instinct. I think they are practically the same player.

Borland was playing at a pro bowl level in the NFL. It's just not realistic to expect a guy to perform at that high of a level unless he's a top-10 pick or something (hence the "poor man's" moniker).

And Nassib is long and lanky. He's very good but what I mean by the potential thing is, analyst see him as being a tweeter do to his inflexible hips and his tall pad height.

Nassib is long, but he's not lanky. He's listed at 272. That's not exactly small. He's the same size as Michael Johnson. And I don'y know what you're watching when you say high pad level; his flexibility & pad level are really good. Chris Canty was his size when he was drafted. And he dominates in the run game, so I don't see any problem with him holding up at the point of attack (especially when he gets stronger after his first year or 2 in the league).
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I would be happy if the Niners picked him, but not at #7.

Originally posted by Andra:
I would be happy if the Niners picked him, but not at #7.

7? Nah. Looks like he'll be there in the 2nd. Maybe even the 3rd (mid 2nd is more realistic). Either way, it's a steal.
Borland was playing at a pro bowl level in the NFL. It's just not realistic to expect a guy to perform at that high of a level unless he's a top-10 pick or something (hence the "poor man's" moniker).

Dude they will be picked in he same round most likely. How does that make him a poor mans anything! Haha he is if anything more talented than Borland, borland just had amazing football instinct. Borland was alway in the right place at the right time, not by luck but because he has amazing football intuition and studied extremely hard.

Nassib is long, but he's not lanky. He's listed at 272. That's not exactly small. He's the same size as Michael Johnson. And I don'y know what you're watching when you say high pad level; his flexibility & pad level are really good. Chris Canty was his size when he was drafted. And he dominates in the run game, so I don't see any problem with him holding up at the point of attack (especially when he gets stronger after his first year or 2 in the league).

Yeah! Look at him thou. He's not extremely thick. I watched a lot of film on him and I was impressed! But he is not a top 15 prospect by any means! I agree his production in college was impressive, but when you look at the longevity of his college career he only produced 2 or 3 sacks combined in the first 2 seasons. His pad level is high because he is 6'7" and yeah listed at 272, now in college they exaggerate size. And he look thin for that position! And to play a coverage as an OLB he would not be very successful do to his hips. And I never said anything about point of attack but as a top 15 prospect he would be expected to produce immediately, and your saying he'll be good two years down the road when he has more strength. He is long and lanky that's the truth. I'm not saying clumsy or bad!
Yeah! Look at him thou. He's not extremely thick. I watched a lot of film on him and I was impressed! But he is not a top 15 prospect by any means! I agree his production in college was impressive, but when you look at the longevity of his college career he only produced 2 or 3 sacks combined in the first 2 seasons. His pad level is high because he is 6'7" and yeah listed at 272, now in college they exaggerate size. And he look thin for that position! And to play a coverage as an OLB he would not be very successful do to his hips. And I never said anything about point of attack but as a top 15 prospect he would be expected to produce immediately, and your saying he'll be good two years down the road when he has more strength. He is long and lanky that's the truth. I'm not saying clumsy or bad!

Oh you're looking at Nassib as an OLB? I don't think he's an OLB at all. He'd be Andre Carter as an OLB IMO.

The only place I'd play Nassib is inside. And he's on the smaller side for that, but I don't think he lacks anything in run support.
Nassib is criminally underrated. Want.

Had a very strong outing at the combine. 34-inch arms is what Justin Smith measured.
In the highlights I've seen of him, he looks more like an 3-4 OL...like an Aldon Smith type than a 3-4 DE. He doesn't seem to have the thickness and power of Buckner, but he's fairly athletic for a guy his size. 6-6 277.
Share 49ersWebzone