LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

DE Carl Nassib Penn St.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think this year we may see a lot more teams take guys like this and try to convert them into 3-4 OLBs. The senior class is INSANELY weak. There are virtually no "prototypical" 3-4 DE/OLB hybrid type of players in this draft that really jump out as top guys for you.

I've watched several "top" prospects and even those I came away less than impressed. 2016 is a year to spend FA money on a pass rusher if you have the cash. Better DL and OL prospects for this year.

You're right, problem is, I don't even think the free agents look that great. Ahmad Brooks may survive another year lol. I think if Tank Carradine comes into camp in the 270s, worse case scenario we should have a decent rotational player that has already proven he can provide pressure as a pass rusher. Although he will be standing up, this should come more natural to him than being a 3-4 DE. Eli Harold will have another year of development. We can attempt to bring in a player like Carl Nassib and make the conversion. He is just a guy that disrupts everything. However, I'm not sure how many high picks we can spend on projects. This is my only worry. If we hit big on our first pick and Arik Armstead looks good as a starter, we'll have more leeway for a project pick in the second round.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Bump
Won the Lombardi trophy for college best Dlinemen/Linebacker
Originally posted by jimrat:
Bump
Won the Lombardi trophy for college best Dlinemen/Linebacker

Great story, from walking on to best player in the nation at his position.
Nassib ran a 4.7 in the 40 at 270 earlier this year, if he does that at the Combine, he'll get up into the mid first round. He seems to have all the other qualities of a premier pass rusher.
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/125626/penn-state-de-carl-nassib-nations-sack-leader-i-dont-think-about-stats

Reminds me of Justin Smith. "Stats are for losers."
I would pick him up no question
At 6'7 270 and a high motor guy. All good signs

Justin Smith was 270 lbs at de and DT, but what made him great was his relentlessness
I've seen that in nassib.

Also bro plays/played in NFL too (qb)
He was projected in the 2nd round by CBS, but I doubt he will stay there long with those awards. He'd be a nice pick up in the first, similar measurables to Lynch.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Dec 10, 2015 at 7:06 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I think he should still be available, especially if we are drafting in the 30s in the second. Fits my criteria of a guy who can potentially be a day 1 starter.
Love this dude in the 2nd. He's a starter

I like him but I don't think we will pick him because I think we will pick Goff so it's probable that we will get weapons for him in the 2nd and 3rd round.
Carl Nassib – DL – Penn State

Carl is a fifth-year senior and this is his first year as a starter. He is a former walk on who was awarded a scholarship prior to the start of the 2013 season. His older brother Ryan is the backup quarterback for the New York Giants.

Carl is your classic "late bloomer". Until this season he was just a backup role player for Penn State. He plays left end in Penn State's 4-3 defensive scheme. In 2013 he had a total of 13 tackles, including 2.0 tackles for loss and 1.0 sacks. In 2014 he had 7.0 total tackles including 3.5 tackles for loss and 1.0 sacks. This year as a first time starter he finished with 46 total tackles, including 19.5 tackles for loss and 15.5 sacks. He also had an interception and 6 forced fumbles. As I write this, he is not listed as being in any All Star games, which is shocking.

Size –

6'6″ – 275 – 4.90 (all estimates)

Strong Points –

Tall and long with the frame to carry 290+. Plays hard on every down, goes snap to whistle. Stays low and knows how to use his hands. Has good strength and power and can shed blocks. Shows some natural 2-gap ability. He is a consistent player versus the run and pass and has some natural pass rush talent and feel. Very good pursuit player who takes good angles. A good, but not a great athlete.

Weak Points –

Has not played a lot of football until this year, raw. Can be fooled by misdirection and can be a bit slow to react at times. Does not have the speed or quickness usually associated with productive pass rushers.

Summation –

Carl is a player on the rise. You seldom see a 4-3 defensive end who can convert to a 5-technique defensive end in a 3-4 but that's what I feel Carl is at the next level. When you look at his frame you see a tall, long guy who should easily be able to get to 290+ once he gets involved in an NFL weight program. While he can play left end in some 4-3 schemes, he lacks the speed, quickness and suddenness that most teams want in a defensive end.

Carl is a semi-long strider and not a real nimble quick footed guy. He has good natural strength and explosion and plays with bend. When watching enough tape you see the natural two gap skills that he possesses. He is very competitive and plays hard on every snap. With his lack of experience, he can get caught out of position and be a bit late reacting but these things should improve as he gains experience.

Following the Combine I expect Nassib to get a lot of individual workouts form coaches. How he does in those workouts will determine how high he gets drafted. If he plays in the Senior Bowl, that will also help his cause. Because of his upside, I can see him being drafted as high as the second round. He will be a role player as a rookie but I can easily see him as a starter by his second year. He will be an interesting guy to track between now and the Draft.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/breaking-down-dl-carl-nassib/
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Nice
Love this guy. I think he could end up going in the late first with a solid offseason. Part of me wants to see what he can do as an OLB in a 34.
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
I like him but I don't think we will pick him because I think we will pick Goff so it's probable that we will get weapons for him in the 2nd and 3rd round.

I'm hoping they sit Goff and play Blaine if we do indeed draft him. The main "weapons" he will need is pass protection and run blocking. If we do resign Anquan Boldin, he has two capable starting receivers, a solid group of tight ends, and a running back that is on the cusp. If our run blocking improves, the rest of the league will know what we already know about Carlos Hyde. I'm thinking a player like Nassib or Johnathan Bullard in the 2nd to start opposite of Aaron Lynch, coupled with Arik Armstead who should be a full time starter and Derek Wolfe (FA signing) should give us a better defense that is capable of generating some kind of pass rush.
Share 49ersWebzone