LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

RONNIE STANLEY

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Big ND fan, but Tunsil is a better player right now. He's more physical in the run game and just as good in pass protection. Stanley may have better length/athleticism (it's close), but Tunsil has better technique and appears to be stronger. In my opinion, Tunsil has the higher floor and they have similar ceilings. It definitely isn't a widespread view that Stanley has way more potential - Tunsil is considered the better prospect of the two.

As a fellow Irish fan, I agree with you that Tunsil is the better prospect with the higher ceiling. His Clemson tape shows a guy who struggled vs a top rusher in Lawson in the first half but played much better in the second half particularly in the final quarter which was a big plus for a team that was trying to battle it's way back into the game. Stanley is still a player I'd love to have if Tunsil is off the board.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Even if Davis comes back I would still grab Stanley or Tunsil if they are available. Staley is getting up there and the Niners need depth and replacements on the OL. Worst case... move AD to guard. Nothing is more important to this team than improving the OL in my opinion.

Stanley does have experience playing both right and left tackle so shifting AD inside could be an option. Another could be shifting Stanley (or Tunsil) inside to LG next to Staley and moving Boone back to RG next to AD, with Stanley serving as the backup LT on the 46 and potentially even backup RT, or have Boone serve as the backup to AD on that side.

Either or, Stanley or Tunsil could give us a long term option on the roster for LT once Joe hangs em up or we move on from him.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Even if Davis comes back I would still grab Stanley or Tunsil if they are available. Staley is getting up there and the Niners need depth and replacements on the OL. Worst case... move AD to guard. Nothing is more important to this team is more important that improving the OL in my opinion.

This. The Niners could turn their weakness into a strength with one pick (If AD comes back)

This x 1000000.............

If AD doesn't return - play Stanley at RT for i-2 years as Staley played his first year.

Then Move Stanley to LT and Joe to RT.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Franco Harris once took a year off because he "didnt feel like playing football" that year. Steelers took him back and wound up with a ring. Terrible that grown men that make millions of dollars want to take some time for themselves.

That aside, I would take either Tunsil or Stanley with our 1st pick. You cant have too many good OL. Ours is a disaster this year. Grab one of these two, sign Mack, if AD comes back its gravy. If not, so be it. Get as many good OL as we can. Everything starts up front.

I don't see five legitimate starting offensive linemen on our team right now.

Not sure I see more than 2 at the moment.
Originally posted by Brando85:

IMO there are 2 but 1 player is showing some pretty good stuff and can turn into a reliable OL(Tiller) and 2 are injured(Davis and Kilgore). I would still like to draft OL early but I think that we can have a good OL if everything goes alright.
Originally posted by Brando85:

Kilgore
Staley
Boone

I think with Thomas, Martin at guard not center and Brown, theres some very young guys who could develop into solid or better starters.

If you sign a guy like Mack and draft a top tier tackle, all of a sudden this OL looks far better. If Davis were to come back, then youd pretty much be piling on.
Notre Dame T Ronnie Stanley:

6'6/312 lbs. 35 5/8" arms. 10 5/8" hands.

Originally posted by NorthBay49er:

That's a big boy.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Arm length for days.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Arm length for days.

Thought he would have longer arms than Tunsil. You can tell from looking at him. Great athlete too.

damn! I really don't want to draft OT at 7 (hoping for vet FAs and there are some solid prospects in the 2nd-4th) but this guy would be a steal at 7...I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore snags him.

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 18m18 minutes ago

Norte Dame OT Ronnie Stanley said he met with #49ers last night.
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 18m18 minutes ago

Norte Dame OT Ronnie Stanley said he met with #49ers last night.

Welp

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2016/02/24/49ers-meet-with-notre-dame-ot-stanley/

Still would rather go defensive with the pick but we need to build the trenches on both sides

Wow sign him up
Originally posted by harryj:
i like staley a lot but if AD comes back i dont think we need a T

I get a feeling that Davis ends up not coming back, even though he said so....other wise he would have filed papers. Unless he is waiting for the niners to draft someone so that he can ask for a trade?
Share 49ersWebzone