LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Bimbo Mock – Bring on the Mo's!

Time to throw my contribution into the world. For starters, here is my assessment of team needs:

Instant Impact Starters Needed:
  • OLine – Need both a starting interior lineman, as well as a tackle
  • QB – The Kaepernick era is officially over
  • 3/4 DE – The loss of Justin Smith is really hurting us. Need a reliable D Lineman that can penetrate, and play the run/pass equally well. Right now our guys are either run stuffers (Dial), or pass rushers (Armstead/Caradine)
  • ILB – Need a speedy Linebacker to help cover the stuff over the middle. This used to be Bowman, but he's a different player now and needs a new partner in crime.

Depth / Future Starters Needed
  • WR – Who will take over for Boldin?
  • OLB/DE – I'm willing to give Harold some more time, but need more bodies here to compete alongside Lynch.
  • RB – Our lack of depth is currently on display. Need at least another body to go with Hyde/Davis

In FA, I'd like to try and fill our big holes on the offensive and defensive lines. That is where everything starts, and it can take a while for young players to be ready to start and make an impact on the line. Filling two holes will really fast forward our rebuild. I'm factoring Anthony Davis into my plans, but probably as a Guard, not tackle. I'm waiting until the draft to try and fill the QB/ILB positions as I think we can get higher impact players than we would through FA. Here we go...

New Coach: Hue Jackson

Current Roster Moves:

• Resign Boone & Ian Williams
  • Let Boldin Walk/Retire
  • Cut Kaep

Free Agency:

• Sign Muhammad Wilkerson DE – (15MM)
  • Sign Cordy Glenn RT – (8-10MM)
  • Sign Mohamed Sanu WR – (5-6MM)

I think we need to pay out the big bucks to help fill the gaping void left by Justin Smith. I don't think anyone realizes how much he meant to our defense. Glenn gives us another foundational piece at Tackle. Sanu takes the place of Boldin as our possession receiver, and hopefully can get off to a running start with his experience with Hue Jackson.

Draft

1. Jared Goff QB – It's meant to be
2. Darron Lee OLB/ILB – Gives us the speedy playmaker over the middle to shut down all that underneath stuff
3. Carl Lawson DE/OLB – Another passrusher to compete with Harold on the other side of Lynch
4. Kareem Hunt RB – Helps provide the depth we need behind Hyde
4. Rees Odhiambo OG – Athletic & aggressive guard to start developing
5. Jack Allen C – Smart tough center who helps provide depth, and can be groomed behind Kilgore
5. Bryce Williams TE – Pass Catching TE who needs some bulk but adds some depth
5. Ken Crawley CB – Let's hope Baalk (or whoever the new GM is) can continue the run of good late round corners
6. Kevin Hogan QB – Might as well pick up all the local QBs
6. Luke Rhodes ILB – Another stout defender to add depth to the LB corpse

Going to stop there.

Depth Chart
Offense
  • QB – Gabbert / Goff* / Hogan*
  • HB – Hyde / Hunt* / Davis
  • FB – Miller
  • TE – McDonald / Bell / Williams* / Anderson
  • WR – Smith / Simpson / Patton
  • WR – Sanu* / Smelter / Ellington
  • LT – Staley / Pears
  • LG – Boone / B Thomas
  • C – Kilgore / Allen* / Martin
  • RG – A Davis* / Odhiambo*
  • RT – Glenn* / Brown

Defense
  • LE – Wilkerson* / Dial
  • NT – Williams / Dorsey / Dial
  • RE – Armstead / Caradine
  • LOLB – Lynch / Lemon
  • ILB – Lee* / Hodges
  • ILB – Bowman / Rhodes*
  • ROLB – Brooks / Harold / Lawson*
  • CB – Acker / Ward / Crawley*
  • SS – Tartt / Bathea
  • FS – Reid / Ward
  • CB – Brock / Johnson / Reasler

Offensively, we'd be able to support Goff with a stout o-line and running game, and enough proven receivers to move the ball. Defensively, we'd have playmakers at all three levels. I think this roster + coaching change gets us back to 8-8 or better. Then layer on another good draft and we could be in business.
[ Edited by Bimbo_Coles on Nov 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM ]
Good mock.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
whether or not he has a line goff looks nervous, all the time. Im far from sold on the guy lynch looks really good. he looks, smooth out there and calm. thats what i like to see besides accuracy and the ability to read.
No way carl lawson would ever fallout of the first round. I doubt Lee will too. its aight the rest of the way through.

7/10
You think brooks stays on for that much cash?

Overall one of the better mocks👍🏻

Not sure A Davis plays OG though
Originally posted by shmuck:
No way carl lawson would ever fallout of the first round. I doubt Lee will too. its aight the rest of the way through.

7/10

NFL Draft Scout has Lee as the 33rd ranked player, so I don't think it's crazy for him to fall to the top of the 2nd. They've got Lawson at 78 overall and a 2-3rd rounder.

All said, we won't know until draft day and things never quite shake out as we expect. My philosophy is still that I want to try and address the trenches through FA, go QB 1st round, and then start stacking up speed on our defense in rounds 2-3.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
You think brooks stays on for that much cash?

Overall one of the better mocks👍🏻

Not sure A Davis plays OG though

They could cut him, but we still need depth at that position. I don't see them dolling out 4-5 long FA contracts, so I'd keep him for another year and then cut him once his replacement emerges. If Harold comes on strong in the 2nd half of the year and takes his job than my tune would change, and Brooks would be a goner. If he's still the starter at year end then I say keep him for 2016.
Originally posted by shmuck:

7/10

This, right now Lee and Lawson would be Top 50 picks IMO, Lee most likely a 1st rd pick.
love the cordy glenn pickup

not a fan of having gabbert as the bridge QB. I would like to get drew brees if possible. Gabbert has no insight to give a developing QB
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I really like Carl Lawson, he looks to be a beast in the future

oh man. your coaching hire and 1st round pick made me tingle with joy.
Breh...perfect mock...atta boy
  • Ike49
I'm good with all your assessments. I think your mock is realistic, only thing I'd like to see is more Oline and earlier then the 4th. Good job though
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
love the cordy glenn pickup

not a fan of having gabbert as the bridge QB. I would like to get drew brees if possible. Gabbert has no insight to give a developing QB

What lol?? Since when would Brees be a bridge QB? He isn't getting cut next season and we aren't gonna trade for him with a $30 million dollar cap hit.

I think you need to be a little more realistic I mean I'd like Luck if the Colts think his regression this year doesn't warrant a huge salary but that's not happening.
I like it...not a huge fan of drafting QB with what's likely to be a top 5 pick. I'm not sold on Goff or Paxton being worth it...however Hue Jackson would make me feel better about investing the early pick on QB.
Share 49ersWebzone