There are 425 users in the forums

Jared Goff v. Paxton Lynch

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I think they're 1 and 1a, but I'd go with Lynch just because he has the better physical specimen and throws far fewer interceptions.

The other thing is that when Lynch has had to perform in a "big game" he has done it. This year, when Goff has had his chance in a "big game" he's looked either average or flat out terrible.
Me I prefer Paxton as he looks more NFL ready and looks more comfortable from the pocket.
Plus it's not a concerning issue but just a thought and statistic on drafting QBs
Goff and UCal use a air raid scheme the only other 2 quarterbacks that were drafting playing the same offense as Goff were Manziel and Geno Smith

For whatever that's worth
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Truman49:
They said the same thing about Alex Smith.

Just for the record I like Goff, but I would take another qb in the 5th round, maybe Wentz?

Wentz wont last anywhere near that long.

I would rather take Wentz in the 2nd or 3rd and take a pass rusher or OL in the first. Thats just me.

Lynch seems to have the awkward stance in the pocket, ala Kap and I just dont believe in the 6'7+ basketball player type at QB.

Goff I was leaning toward but just not sold yet.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Other than Ole Miss, has Lynch been challenged defensively?
I'm ok with either one, as long as they get a coach who will put them in a spot to succeed
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Truman49:
They said the same thing about Alex Smith.

Just for the record I like Goff, but I would take another qb in the 5th round, maybe Wentz?

Wentz wont last anywhere near that long.

I would rather take Wentz in the 2nd or 3rd and take a pass rusher or OL in the first. Thats just me.

Lynch seems to have the awkward stance in the pocket, ala Kap and I just dont believe in the 6'7+ basketball player type at QB.

Goff I was leaning toward but just not sold yet.
Yeah I agree 100% this years quarterbacks are ok but there are some great lineman going both offensively and defensively that's were I would spend the 1st round pick on
Hackenberg
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Hackenberg
He was bad in the first couple of games but he improved in the last 2/3 games.
But it might not be enough to be a 1st rounder
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Judge82Dredd:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Hackenberg
He was bad in the first couple of games but he improved in the last 2/3 games.
But it might not be enough to be a 1st rounder

He has had two good games all season. Against San Diego State and Illinois.
How do these two stack up against 1st RD QBs drafted in the past couple years? Where would you place them coming out of college?

2015:
  • J Winston
  • M Mariota

• B Bortles
  • J manziel
  • T Bridgewater
  • D Carr (throw him in there)

• EJ manuel

• A Luck
  • R Griffen
  • R Tannehill
  • B Weeden

• C Newton
  • J Locker
  • B Gabbert
  • C Ponder
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 7, 2015 at 6:09 AM ]

From Bleacher Report's main draft analyst:

No. 12 Quarterback Paxton Lynch, Memphis (6'7", 245 lbs)

Strengths: Paxton Lynch is listed at 6'7", 245 pounds. He carries his size well and is surprisingly agile and mobile for a big quarterback. This isn't Joe Flacco. He can move well and executes on half and full rollouts. Lynch is a good, strong athlete. His arm strength shows up as above average with velocity and spin across the field. Lynch throws a pretty deep ball with good spin and touch, and here he has shown top-level placement.

Lynch is a very efficient thrower with 17 touchdowns to just one interception as of this writing. He doesn't turn the ball over and completes around 70 percent of his passes in an offense that features a steady mix of underneath and deep routes. Lynch is a three-year starter, and it shows in his patience in the pocket and in his ability to let the play develop in front of him. He'll maneuver in the pocket to give the play time to develop and trusts his receivers to get open.

Weaknesses: My rule for scouting is that I won't write up a player until I've seen three games. For quarterbacks, that rule becomes five games. Why is this a weakness? Because Lynch hasn't seen much of a challenge on the schedule. For this report, I looked at games against Ole Miss, Missouri State, Cincinnati, South Florida and Tulsa. If strength of schedule is an issue for Jared Goff (or Derek Carr two years ago), then it's going to be an issue for Lynch.

On the field, Lynch's arm strength isn't what I had expected given his size and hype. The ball tends to flutter when thrown on a deeper out. Lynch has a wide base when throwing the ball and can revert to a flat-footed throwing motion without great upper-body torque. This leaves him exposed as an arm thrower, and he's not strong enough to pull this off. It would be fair to characterize Lynch as a rhythm thrower. When he's on, he's very good and his mechanics seem crisp and tight. When he's off, though, his ball placement often misses to the back hip or back shoulder, and the ball flutters.

Pro Comparison: Nick Foles, St. Louis Rams

Overall, Lynch doesn't have better characteristics than Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) or Jared Goff (California), but his production is eye-opening, as are his body type and athleticism. He's definitely a Round 1 talent should he enter the 2016 draft, but I wouldn't endorse him as a No. 1 overall-type player as of now. It's more likely he'll be a player in the 10-20 range, similar to Derek Carr's ranking but a more similar player, build and athlete to Nick Foles.

No. 16 Quarterback Jared Goff, Cal (6'4", 205 lbs)

Strengths: Goff is a smart, analytical film nerd and it shows on the field. A three-year starter, he's developed well in the Bear Raid offense (a progression-based offense featuring plenty of run/pass options and largely based on downfield throws). Goff loves the game and spends his time off the field immersed in football.

On the field, Goff has the ability to make changes to play calls and protection in the shotgun, no-huddle offense. He's asked to process many things pre- and post-snap and handles it well. Goff pops up when hit and shows an on-field toughness. He's an above-average athlete with quick feet and flexible hips and shoulders.

Goff puts the ball on the correct shoulder when throwing down the field and won't lead his receivers into traffic. He understands touch and anticipation. His arm is strong enough to throw the 15-yard-out on a line, to thread the ball into tight windows on underneath routes and throw 50-yard bombs such as he did against San Diego State. Goff is quick to step up in the pocket and slides from pressure using short, quick, choppy steps in the pocket with the ball always held in the ready position and his eyes downfield (a la Peyton Manning).

Weaknesses: Goff has a lean frame and has had to work to pack weight on. Cal lists him at 215 pounds, but scouts say he's closer to 205. The Bear Raid system gives him the protection of coaches making audibles and calls from the sideline, so he hasn't huddled or called a play in three years.

Goff isn't a tackle-breaker as a runner and won't elude blitzers to gain positive yards. His arm strength is good, but not great, and he can float the ball to the sideline at times.

His biggest flaw is a fadeaway tendency when throwing the ball. He doesn't always step into throws, but instead fades the ball off his back foot with his momentum going away from the line of scrimmage rather than toward it.

Pro Comparison: Eli Manning, New York Giants

Goff is close to perfect as a quarterback prospect, and his flaws are all fixable ones. Like Eli Manning, he has picturesque footwork in the pocket, aggressive downfield vision and the arm to make every throw in the playbook. Goff doesn't turn the ball over at Cal as much as Manning has in the NFL, but from a skills and athleticism perspective, they're very similar.

The writer is a big Goff fan and also, coincidently, a niners fan. I like his analysis and he's very upfront when he's been wrong about a player.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
From Bleacher Report's main draft analyst:

No. 12 Quarterback Paxton Lynch, Memphis (6'7", 245 lbs)

Strengths: Paxton Lynch is listed at 6'7", 245 pounds. He carries his size well and is surprisingly agile and mobile for a big quarterback. This isn't Joe Flacco. He can move well and executes on half and full rollouts. Lynch is a good, strong athlete. His arm strength shows up as above average with velocity and spin across the field. Lynch throws a pretty deep ball with good spin and touch, and here he has shown top-level placement.

Lynch is a very efficient thrower with 17 touchdowns to just one interception as of this writing. He doesn't turn the ball over and completes around 70 percent of his passes in an offense that features a steady mix of underneath and deep routes. Lynch is a three-year starter, and it shows in his patience in the pocket and in his ability to let the play develop in front of him. He'll maneuver in the pocket to give the play time to develop and trusts his receivers to get open.

Weaknesses: My rule for scouting is that I won't write up a player until I've seen three games. For quarterbacks, that rule becomes five games. Why is this a weakness? Because Lynch hasn't seen much of a challenge on the schedule. For this report, I looked at games against Ole Miss, Missouri State, Cincinnati, South Florida and Tulsa. If strength of schedule is an issue for Jared Goff (or Derek Carr two years ago), then it's going to be an issue for Lynch.

On the field, Lynch's arm strength isn't what I had expected given his size and hype. The ball tends to flutter when thrown on a deeper out. Lynch has a wide base when throwing the ball and can revert to a flat-footed throwing motion without great upper-body torque. This leaves him exposed as an arm thrower, and he's not strong enough to pull this off. It would be fair to characterize Lynch as a rhythm thrower. When he's on, he's very good and his mechanics seem crisp and tight. When he's off, though, his ball placement often misses to the back hip or back shoulder, and the ball flutters.

Pro Comparison: Nick Foles, St. Louis Rams

Overall, Lynch doesn't have better characteristics than Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) or Jared Goff (California), but his production is eye-opening, as are his body type and athleticism. He's definitely a Round 1 talent should he enter the 2016 draft, but I wouldn't endorse him as a No. 1 overall-type player as of now. It's more likely he'll be a player in the 10-20 range, similar to Derek Carr's ranking but a more similar player, build and athlete to Nick Foles.

No. 16 Quarterback Jared Goff, Cal (6'4", 205 lbs)

Strengths: Goff is a smart, analytical film nerd and it shows on the field. A three-year starter, he's developed well in the Bear Raid offense (a progression-based offense featuring plenty of run/pass options and largely based on downfield throws). Goff loves the game and spends his time off the field immersed in football.

On the field, Goff has the ability to make changes to play calls and protection in the shotgun, no-huddle offense. He's asked to process many things pre- and post-snap and handles it well. Goff pops up when hit and shows an on-field toughness. He's an above-average athlete with quick feet and flexible hips and shoulders.

Goff puts the ball on the correct shoulder when throwing down the field and won't lead his receivers into traffic. He understands touch and anticipation. His arm is strong enough to throw the 15-yard-out on a line, to thread the ball into tight windows on underneath routes and throw 50-yard bombs such as he did against San Diego State. Goff is quick to step up in the pocket and slides from pressure using short, quick, choppy steps in the pocket with the ball always held in the ready position and his eyes downfield (a la Peyton Manning).

Weaknesses: Goff has a lean frame and has had to work to pack weight on. Cal lists him at 215 pounds, but scouts say he's closer to 205. The Bear Raid system gives him the protection of coaches making audibles and calls from the sideline, so he hasn't huddled or called a play in three years.

Goff isn't a tackle-breaker as a runner and won't elude blitzers to gain positive yards. His arm strength is good, but not great, and he can float the ball to the sideline at times.

His biggest flaw is a fadeaway tendency when throwing the ball. He doesn't always step into throws, but instead fades the ball off his back foot with his momentum going away from the line of scrimmage rather than toward it.

Pro Comparison: Eli Manning, New York Giants

Goff is close to perfect as a quarterback prospect, and his flaws are all fixable ones. Like Eli Manning, he has picturesque footwork in the pocket, aggressive downfield vision and the arm to make every throw in the playbook. Goff doesn't turn the ball over at Cal as much as Manning has in the NFL, but from a skills and athleticism perspective, they're very similar.

The writer is a big Goff fan and also, coincidently, a niners fan. I like his analysis and he's very upfront when he's been wrong about a player.

Nice find...I'm leaning towards goff but there's a lot of time between now and the draft
Share 49ersWebzone