LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 152 users in the forums

Jared Goff v. Paxton Lynch

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by susweel:
I'm not convinced that either is top 5 pick worthy. Goff would be the most likely but he needs size right now he'd get killed by a nfl dline.

Not sure why people bring this up like some insurmountable obstacle. Matt Ryan added like 10 pounds in offseason training before the Combine. The weight can added and we've seen a lot of QBs do it.

I also disagree about Lynch being more athlete than passer. Not sure at all how you can reach that conclusion unless youre simply looking at stats.

It's still really in my evaluation process . Who would you take ?
Originally posted by susweel:
It's still really in my evaluation process . Who would you take ?

I have a preference for Goff but I can see Lynch becoming a pretty good quarterback too. I don't think either of them would be ready to start next year though.

Its going to be interesting to see how both of them do for the remainder of the year.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
I'd say the better pick would be Goff. I'm weary of late risers like Lynch, RG3 and Gabbert. Usually they become flashes in the pan. Goff has consistently been one of the better quarterbacks in college not to mention his team isn't the best so he's the kind of leader we need, as it's obvious Kap doesn't have the attributes to carry a team that's not very strong.

It is being buzzed around how terrible his team is and how much he carrys them. So that definitly says something. Usually you have these QB's coming out who had pretty good supporting casts but not goff.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Just like you want to be careful of QBs at top programs who are playing with all 5 star recruits. You also want to be careful of guys playing in great offensive systems and Justin Fuente might just be that next Urban Meyer type coach. We all remember the type of amazing numbers Alex Smith put up at Utah (2004: Run/Pass: 3,582 yards and 42 TDs) and it look him 5-6 seasons to figure things out in the NFL. I really doubt Lynch is a day 1 NFL starter.

I don't think any of the guys in this draft are Day 1 starters with the possible exception of Cook. Or at least they shouldnt be.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Well -- at least we won't have to worry about that... :)

Originally posted by SundayTicket:
It is being buzzed around how terrible his team is and how much he carrys them. So that definitly says something. Usually you have these QB's coming out who had pretty good supporting casts but not goff.

He's dealt with a whole ton of adversity and having a team that is outgunned in talent on a regular basis. I don't think he's the perfect prospect and I don't think he's anther Aaron Rodgers or anything but he's got the baseline talent and aptitude that you need in a QB, if you develop him right I think he can be a pretty good NFL starter.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Well -- at least we won't have to worry about that... :)

Yeah I remember watching that at the end of the Tulsa game, dude comes across as pretty charismatic and easygoing, obviously his teammates seem to be pretty hyped about him.
  • Ike49
I'm going with the sure fire proven method.......which name sounds cooler

Geoff

Lynch

Seems like a sure thing, Lynch t is
  • Ike49
Oh crap, is Lynch wearing a ladies hair tie thingy in that video?

Damn, might have to switch back to Geoff
Greg Gabriel @greggabe
Talked to 2 personnel directors and 2 scouts. Hands down their top QB is Paxton Lynch. Agree that Goff is talented but not physically ready

Couldn't agree more with Lynch. Would take Lynch over Goff in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Just like you want to be careful of QBs at top programs who are playing with all 5 star recruits. You also want to be careful of guys playing in great offensive systems and Justin Fuente might just be that next Urban Meyer type coach. We all remember the type of amazing numbers Alex Smith put up at Utah (2004: Run/Pass: 3,582 yards and 42 TDs) and it look him 5-6 seasons to figure things out in the NFL. I really doubt Lynch is a day 1 NFL starter.

I don't think any of the guys in this draft are Day 1 starters with the possible exception of Cook. Or at least they shouldnt be.

Phoenix is nailing it.
This Saturday is a prime opportunity to evaluate them.

Michigan State is on ESPN at 4 pst
Memphis is on ESPN2 at 4 pst
And Cal is on ESPN2 at 7 pst
A few thoughts on Goff. He is from Marin county which is just north of San Francisco, so if he grew up a 9er fan maybe he would have some extra ownership in righting this ship. We also have to remember that both Montana and Brady were considered too skinny and had questions about their arms when they came out. I'm not saying Goff would reach that level, but sometimes the skinny guy turns into something. I would be more concerned with the system he's coming out of than anything else, but Lynch has the same question about him, so as of now I'd side with Goff.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Nov 5, 2015 at 2:59 PM ]
The draft looks like it will be void of a big time QB for at least the next three years, so if we are in position to select Goff, Lynch, or Cook this next draft we may have to, as it looks as if that will be our best chance to get a decent QB for a while.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone