LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Jared Goff v. Paxton Lynch

Since i am not a die hard college football junkie and i just go by what i hear on a national level and of course what i read in here. Can someone tell me who is a better pro prospect Paxton or Goff i keep hearing both there names mentioned but which of these 2 guys can be our franchise QB if we do decide to draft either of these 2?

Below ive added their stats year to date, Sometimes stats dont justifiy a players accomplishments so can someone break down their perspective on each QB's game.

Jared Goff Cal QB

CMP ATT YDS CMP% TD INT RAT
205 309 2537 66.3 22 11 151.7

Paxton Lynch Memphis QB

CMP ATT YDS CMP% TD INT RAT
200 285 2709 70.2 81 1 170.2
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2585022-2016-nfl-draft-big-board-matt-millers-midseason-rankings/page/3
Good question and excellent info Jcool!
yeah I haven't really done my duel diligence watching college ball this year...I don't get to see to many Cal games over here in NY and I guess you can say the same about Memphis lol.

Gonna be finding whatever I can about the possible QBs coming out this year... I think just going off what I've read an seen Goff seems like the better prospect neither are home run picks though, right now I think it goes something like this IMO.

1. Goff
  2. Lynch
  3. cook
  4. Hackenberg
  5. wentz
  6. Jones
I'd say the better pick would be Goff. I'm weary of late risers like Lynch, RG3 and Gabbert. Usually they become flashes in the pan. Goff has consistently been one of the better quarterbacks in college not to mention his team isn't the best so he's the kind of leader we need, as it's obvious Kap doesn't have the attributes to carry a team that's not very strong.
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
I'd say the better pick would be Goff. I'm weary of late risers like Lynch, RG3 and Gabbert. Usually they become flashes in the pan. Goff has consistently been one of the better quarterbacks in college not to mention his team isn't the best so he's the kind of leader we need, as it's obvious Kap doesn't have the attributes to carry a team that's not very strong.

had to throw the Kap jab in there lol.
I appreciate the feedback learn a couple of new things about these 2 gunslingers. I honestly think either prospect will do just fine in the pro's.

I don't see another Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf situation if u take either of these guys.
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:

I like Lynch alot, some parts of his game need a lot of work but he throws the football accurately, isnt afraid to stay in there against a pass rush and let it rip. He's shown the ability to go through his reads, has above average arm strength and enough mobility to get away from pass rushers. Not sure I like him as much as Goff but he is up there.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 5, 2015 at 12:28 PM ]
Greg Gabriel @greggabe
Talked to 2 personnel directors and 2 scouts. Hands down their top QB is Paxton Lynch. Agree that Goff is talented but not physically ready
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 5, 2015 at 12:30 PM ]
Stuff that Ive seen from both Lynch and Goff that translates to the NFL.

-Good accuracy. Not only is the ball reaching the target, these guys consistently put it in a place where the receiver can pick up the most YAC.
Both have shown the ability and willingness to lead their receivers and throw into space. Both especially are good when it comes to deep ball accuracy.

-Dealing with pressure. Both rank up near the top in college of handling pressure. Both have shown the ability to stand in the pocket, eyes downfield and wait for a receiver to break open, even with heavy pressure in their faces. Goff has been under siege
all season long and has one of the worst OL's in college football.

-Moving through progressions. Both to varying degrees have shown an ability to go through multiple reads and checkdown or simply get rid of the ball if there is nothing there.

-Mobility. While neither is a running quarterback in the traditional sense, both have the speed and athleticism to get out of the pocket and beat defenses with their legs if the opportunity presents itself.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Just like you want to be careful of QBs at top programs who are playing with all 5 star recruits. You also want to be careful of guys playing in great offensive systems and Justin Fuente might just be that next Urban Meyer type coach. We all remember the type of amazing numbers Alex Smith put up at Utah (2004: Run/Pass: 3,582 yards and 42 TDs) and it look him 5-6 seasons to figure things out in the NFL. I really doubt Lynch is a day 1 NFL starter.
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 5, 2015 at 1:16 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'm not convinced that either is top 5 pick worthy. Goff would be the most likely but he needs size right now he'd get killed by a nfl dline. Lynch on the other hand looks more like athlete than a qb. It's still early in the process but I think a true pocket qb is what we need.
Goff seems more cerebral and relies less on athletic ability. We could use a thinker at QB.
Originally posted by GrumpyDad:
Goff seems more cerebral and relies less on athletic ability. We could use a thinker at QB.

Sure would be nice to see a full playbook utilized!
Originally posted by susweel:
I'm not convinced that either is top 5 pick worthy. Goff would be the most likely but he needs size right now he'd get killed by a nfl dline.

Not sure why people bring this up like some insurmountable obstacle. Matt Ryan added like 10 pounds in offseason training before the Combine. The weight can added and we've seen a lot of QBs do it.

I also disagree about Lynch being more athlete than passer. Not sure at all how you can reach that conclusion unless youre simply looking at stats.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 5, 2015 at 1:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone