There are 214 users in the forums

Bad teams this year and the need for a QB

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Blindfury:
There are decent teams that do not have a good QB either.

Jets, Bears, Bills(maybe), Dolphins, Texans, Rams, Skins, Eagles, Lions. There's a lot of mediocre/poor QB play out there.

None of those teams will draft ahead of us, except the Lions and I don't think the Lions cut ties with Stafford yet.

Bears might
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Blindfury:
There are decent teams that do not have a good QB either.

Jets, Bears, Bills(maybe), Dolphins, Texans, Rams, Skins, Eagles, Lions. There's a lot of mediocre/poor QB play out there.

None of those teams will draft ahead of us, except the Lions and I don't think the Lions cut ties with Stafford yet.

Bears might

Dolphins will stick with Tanny for a minute'
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes agree OL is the biggest need but if you have a shot to take an elite talent at QB you gotta go for it.

Exactly
Texans need a QB?
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I think most of those teams wouldn't take a QB like you said, so if we're in the top ten I think we'll have a shot at a decent QB prospect. There's just a lot more glaring needs than QB on this team though.

Yes agree OL is the biggest need but if you have a shot to take an elite talent at QB you gotta go for it.

Having a great prospect means nothing if he has no time to throw AND hasn't had to take NFL type hits the very moment the ball hits his hands from the center.

Its easier to sign a good OL than it is to get a QB in free agency.

i agree, it's looking like we're going to have a lot of cap space to do it.
When was the last time anybody got a good qb in free agency? I can't think of any in recent history

Only way Stafford survives if it's too costly to cut him due to his cap number. But his time is done in Detriot
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
When was the last time anybody got a good qb in free agency? I can't think of any in recent history

Only way Stafford survives if it's too costly to cut him due to his cap number. But his time is done in Detriot

Drew Brees signing with N.O., Peyton Manning signing with Denver, Mike Vick signing in Philadelphia, Kurt Warner signing in Arizona, Rich Gannon signing in Oakland.
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Drew Brees signing with N.O., Peyton Manning signing with Denver, Mike Vick signing in Philadelphia, Kurt Warner signing in Arizona, Rich Gannon signing in Oakland.

I was thinking more recent than Gannon, Brees and Warner. It's been 9 years since Brees went to NO and 10 since Warner went to Arizona. Even longer with Gannon. Vick was good for just 1 year in Philly. I forgot about Peyton though.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
At this point though Im not sure there is a QB worth taking in the top 5.
Susweel.....

The problem I am having with your OP is the fact that there are average teams and slightly below average teams that are missing a QB too....which you did not mention. I am not saying that these teams definitely would take a QB early (just like you aren't saying that ALL bad teams would take a QB early). But IMO, the following average or below average teams that you didn't mention could very easily be in play to draft a QB early:

Buffalo Bills
New York Jets
Kansas City Chiefs
Houston Texans
Washington Redskins
Philadelphia Eagles

Again, I am not saying that they would take a QB early.....just that they could and are omitted from your OP.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Susweel.....

The problem I am having with your OP is the fact that there are average teams and slightly below average teams that are missing a QB too....which you did not mention. I am not saying that these teams definitely would take a QB early (just like you aren't saying that ALL bad teams would take a QB early). But IMO, the following average or below average teams that you didn't mention could very easily be in play to draft a QB early:

Buffalo Bills
New York Jets
Kansas City Chiefs
Houston Texans
Washington Redskins
Philadelphia Eagles

Again, I am not saying that they would take a QB early.....just that they could and are omitted from your OP.

Yes I didnt consider them because I dont think they finish bad enough to draft in the top 5-7 picks. I just went off the poor records right now, I'll update it at the end of the season to see how it plays out. Also saw you included KC I dont Andy Reid dumps Alex just yet, I give those another season before they move on from both of them.
[ Edited by susweel on Nov 5, 2015 at 11:36 AM ]
Yes I didnt consider them because I dont think they finish bad enough to draft in the top 5-7 picks. I just went off the poor records right now, I'll update it at the end of the season to see how it plays out. Also saw you included KC I dont Andy Reid dumps Alex just yet, I give those another season before they move on from both of them.

Fair enough. I don't necessarily think Reid dumps Alex just yet either. However, it is coming eventually. And if they don't believe the current backups on their team can be the QBOTF, then I can see them drafting a QB. I know this doesn't mean much of anything, but their fans seem to have had enough and want a chance.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
You missed out the Texans, they will definitely take a QB.

Either way, we will need to draft in the top 3 if we are to land Jared Goff.

The mock drafts are changing by the week, but a lot of them now have the 9ers picking much higher than before, at around 3rd overall and is between Paxton Lynch (the flavour of the month) and Jared Goff.
Browns 2-6 Yes I would say yes they do need a QB and will probably take one in top 5 pick
Ravens 2-6 No they would not need a QB they just paid a billion dollars to Flacco
Chargers 2-6 Maybe I could see them drafting a younger QB and letting Rivers walk or keep him for a few years until the rook is ready
Titans 1-6 No they just took Mariotta
Jags 2-6 No they are still gonna give Bortles more time to develop
Lions 1-7 No I think they are gonna stick with Stafford for the time being
Cowboys 2-5 Yes Romo is old breaking down.
Niners 2-6 Yes I think Kap's time here is coming to an end, I still believe he can be a good player in the right system but its gonna be here.

Thats 8 bad teams and about 4 of them probably would take a QB high in the draft. I could really see us with a top 3 selection but my hope is to get the top pick and get whoever the best prospect may be.

I think the 49ers, Cowboys, Chargers, Browns & Texans are in the running for Goff.

When Romo comes back they will win more games so they won't really be in the running at the end of the year.

Chargers will win some games.

So that leaves mainly the 49ers, Browns & Texans.

Lions could be a darkhorse if they have given up on Stafford.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Nov 5, 2015 at 11:54 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Sheeeeeeeet. News just in folks, wholesale changes coming in Detroit. Both the GM and President have already been fired and apparently Matthew Stafford's future is reported to be in major doubt beyond 2015 which means they could end up drafting a QB. It will be hard to draft ahead of Detroit. Unless we play much worse than Detroit from here on out, it could mean at least 1 QB may already have been taken by the time we pick.
Share 49ersWebzone