There are 205 users in the forums

Bad teams this year and the need for a QB

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Browns 2-6 Yes I would say yes they do need a QB and will probably take one in top 5 pick
Ravens 2-6 No they would not need a QB they just paid a billion dollars to Flacco
Chargers 2-6 Maybe I could see them drafting a younger QB and letting Rivers walk or keep him for a few years until the rook is ready
Titans 1-6 No they just took Mariotta
Jags 2-6 No they are still gonna give Bortles more time to develop
Lions 1-7 No I think they are gonna stick with Stafford for the time being
Cowboys 2-5 Yes Romo is old breaking down.
Niners 2-6 Yes I think Kap's time here is coming to an end, I still believe he can be a good player in the right system but its gonna be here.

Thats 8 bad teams and about 4 of them probably would take a QB high in the draft. I could really see us with a top 3 selection but my hope is to get the top pick and get whoever the best prospect may be.
I think most of those teams wouldn't take a QB like you said, so if we're in the top ten I think we'll have a shot at a decent QB prospect. There's just a lot more glaring needs than QB on this team though.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I think most of those teams wouldn't take a QB like you said, so if we're in the top ten I think we'll have a shot at a decent QB prospect. There's just a lot more glaring needs than QB on this team though.

Yes agree OL is the biggest need but if you have a shot to take an elite talent at QB you gotta go for it.
There are decent teams that do not have a good QB either.

Jets, Bears, Bills(maybe), Dolphins, Texans, Rams, Skins, Eagles, Lions. There's a lot of mediocre/poor QB play out there.
I think your predictions on the other bottom feeders and their QB needs is fair and accurate, but the likelihood of someone trading up to leapfrog us for a QB they've identified as their savior is too great to ignore. If we aren't in the top 3-5, someone will fall in love with a QB and go past us to get him. That's okay, though, Blaine is about ready to emerge from his Chrysalis and show the world what a glorious metamorphosis he has undergone!!!
Originally posted by susweel:
Browns 2-6 Yes I would say yes they do need a QB and will probably take one in top 5 pick
Ravens 2-6 No they would not need a QB they just paid a billion dollars to Flacco
Chargers 2-6 Maybe I could see them drafting a younger QB and letting Rivers walk or keep him for a few years until the rook is ready
Niners 2-6 Yes I think Kap's time here is coming to an end, I still believe he can be a good player in the right system but its gonna be here.

Thats 8 bad teams and about 4 of them probably would take a QB high in the draft. I could really see us with a top 3 selection but my hope is to get the top pick and get whoever the best prospect may be.

I don't see either the Cowboys or Chargers taking a QB early.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

Yes agree OL is the biggest need but if you have a shot to take an elite talent at QB you gotta go for it.

Having a great prospect means nothing if he has no time to throw AND hasn't had to take NFL type hits the very moment the ball hits his hands from the center.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Geeked:

Having a great prospect means nothing if he has no time to throw AND hasn't had to take NFL type hits the very moment the ball hits his hands from the center.

Its easier to sign a good OL than it is to get a QB in free agency.

This. You have to start somewhere, if you think a QB can develop into a true franchise player, you draft him and worry about the rest later.

Except if Tomsula is still the coach, if so, you take the best DL or OL and hope for the best.
Originally posted by Geeked:

The Cards built up their OL largely through FA. How many good starting QB's are acquired through FA? Having a good OL is meaningless if you don't have a good passer behind them.....ie......the Browns.

Chargers just gave Rivers a huge extension. They may draft a QB but it won't be early.

I'd say the Browns and Texans are the most likely to take a QB early in the 1st round.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Chargers just gave Rivers a huge extension. They may draft a QB but it won't be early.

I'd say the Browns and Texans are the most likely to take a QB early in the 1st round.

I wasn't sure if they had done the extension or not I knew they were talking about it. Thats good that means one less bad team to take a QB early. Only thing gotta watch out for trades but I could see us as a team that trades down.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I think your predictions on the other bottom feeders and their QB needs is fair and accurate, but the likelihood of someone trading up to leapfrog us for a QB they've identified as their savior is too great to ignore. If we aren't in the top 3-5, someone will fall in love with a QB and go past us to get him. That's okay, though, Blaine is about ready to emerge from his Chrysalis and show the world what a glorious metamorphosis he has undergone!!!

The keyword is elite. I like Alex Smith, but I don't want a situation like 2005 to repeat where we take a guy just to have a guy. I would rather rebuild the O-line in free agency and extensions (Alex Boone), rebuild our front 7 through the draft, and go into 2016 with a veteran FA, Blaine Gabbert, or even Kap as QB with the rebuilt line and a rookie QB.
Originally posted by Blindfury:
There are decent teams that do not have a good QB either.

Jets, Bears, Bills(maybe), Dolphins, Texans, Rams, Skins, Eagles, Lions. There's a lot of mediocre/poor QB play out there.

None of those teams will draft ahead of us, except the Lions and I don't think the Lions cut ties with Stafford yet.
Share 49ersWebzone