Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Depends on the rankings. Goff is the top of a weak QB class. He's not Luck coming out.

Garoppolo is already multiple steps ahead of Goff. Goff might be great but he's not a fully polished product yet.

No, it really doesn't. QB's don't gain that much value from sitting on the bench. Garoppolo was a very late 2nd round pick 2 years ago. He isn't worth a top 10 pick now that he has 2 years remaining on his rookie deal when he has been on the field for the equivalent of one game.

A team that is competitive may value someone who is further along in development. A team that is rebuilding should not. I wouldn't trade our 2nd round pick for Garoppolo and probably wouldn't trade our 3rd round pick for him either. Bring in a free agent QB or rookie to compete with Gabbert.

I'm not saying I would make the deal. But you can't deny he's being groomed by a great team. He's a pro, Goff is not. Thinking that some QB going top 5 is automatically better than a "bench warmer" I ask, would you rather have Jamarcus or Rodgers?

What kind of question is that? Of course I'd take Rodgers right now over Russell who is out of the league. That doesn't mean I'd take any benchwarmer over a top 5 QB prospect.

Rodgers was also a first round pick and in the conversation for the first overall pick. I'd take a QB who was a top 5 prospect over a benchwarmer who was a late 2nd round pick and has 2 years remaining on his contract any day. For every benchwarmer who turns into Rodgers, there are many more who never amount to anything.

Also, the Packers knew they had something with Rodgers. If the Patriots were willing to trade Garopollo, that would suggest to me that they did not believe that he was the next Aaron Rodgers or even their next franchise QB. I'd be wary of any team that is willing to trade a player who hasn't performed in the NFL. You're not likely to get a good deal trading when the other side knows far more about the player you're trading for and how he's developed since being drafted. If the Patriots were willing to trade Garopollo to us for a first round pick, odds are he's not worth the pick.

I never said Goff is automatically better or will automatically be better than every backup QB in the league, but I'd much rather have him on a 5 year deal than risk getting fleeced trading for some player who has barely played in the NFL and thinking we'll come out ahead in a trade where the other side knows way more than we do. The Packers would have turned down the pick in 2007 if someone offered them a top 10 pick for Rodgers.