LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 312 users in the forums

The Draft Lottery Thread

Originally posted by jreff22:
For arguments sake we can target (this is excluding QB)

OT-1a or 1B
DT/DE- 1a or 1b
ILB/OLB- 1

That's 5 players meaning one of them could fall to us if we are drafting 5th'ish overall.

Falling past 7 takes us out of position for all of them. And these are serious impact day 1 players. Guys that should start without question.

I'm with Ya, but there is so much quality rounds 2-3...I always felt, if you like a player, take him...no matter where you are. The analytics get too wrapped up in "too early for that player" and "team x got good value there". I saw screw that, take your guy...

I look at top 10 picks in drafts gone by and it's comical to me, the analysis yielded info to make some of these picks. 2001, Gerald Warren no 3 overall, just before Justin Smith and on and on and on over the years. The best player in the top 10 could land anywhere being my primary point.
Originally posted by jbeale49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
For arguments sake we can target (this is excluding QB)

OT-1a or 1B
DT/DE- 1a or 1b
ILB/OLB- 1

That's 5 players meaning one of them could fall to us if we are drafting 5th'ish overall.

Falling past 7 takes us out of position for all of them. And these are serious impact day 1 players. Guys that should start without question.

I'm with Ya, but there is so much quality rounds 2-3...I always felt, if you like a player, take him...no matter where you are. The analytics get too wrapped up in "too early for that player" and "team x got good value there". I saw screw that, take your guy...

I look at top 10 picks in drafts gone by and it's comical to me, the analysis yielded info to make some of these picks. 2001, Gerald Warren no 3 overall, just before Justin Smith and on and on and on over the years. The best player in the top 10 could land anywhere being my primary point.

It's a crapshoot for sure, don't get me wrong. But those 5 would be starters right off the bat. Whichever falls I'm fine with taking. The drop off from them is pretty significant. To the point that missing out on them could mean a trade back. We don't need a WR, CB, FS/SS, TE, or RB in the first. So if they are gone the next batch would be mid teens.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Wish this draft had a clear cut #1 pick

Thats not necessarily a bad thing. Lots of talent up by the top.

Exactly. Baalke can't F this one up right?
Now that Season looks completely lost lets say we end up 3-13 where does that leave us? Should easily be top 3 right?
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Now that Season looks completely lost lets say we end up 3-13 where does that leave us? Should easily be top 3 right?

Possibly
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

Maybe, maybe not...a lot of bad teams this year. I see this team winning 4 or 5 games. They'll beat the Browns or Lions and then win a game they have no business winning.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I don't think Jim would have gotten this roster to the playoffs. I think we'd be 6-10 or 7-9, miss the playoffs and pick around 12.

If you're gonna miss the show, miss it by a lot and refit.

Who says that some of those retirements may not have happened had Harbaugh been here.
We may have just dropped out of the top 10. Glad Gabbert played well, but would have liked to see us lose that game.

We're at #9 currently, but some of the 3 loss teams will move past us with another loss due to our SOS.

1. Detroit Lions: 1-7 (.539 strength of schedule)
2. Cleveland Browns: 2-7 (.534 SOS)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars: 2-6 (.447 SOS)
4. Tennessee Titans: 2-6 (.459 SOS)
5. San Diego Chargers: 2-6 (.504 SOS)
6. Baltimore Ravens: 2-6 (.511 SOS)
7. Dallas Cowboys: 2-6 (.538 SOS)
8. Chicago Bears: 2-5 (.504 SOS)
9. San Francisco 49ers: 3-6 (.542 SOS)
10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 3-5 (.444 SOS)
11. Miami Dolphins: 3-5 (.485 SOS 2-5 in conference)
12. Houston Texans: 3-5 (.485 SOS 2-3 in conference)
13. Washington: 3-5 (.496 SOS)
14. Kansas City Chiefs: 3-5 (.504 SOS)
hope Mariota stays healthy to win some more games. when is Romo coming back? Boys should win a couple of games down the stretch i guess. and today chargers or bears will go to three W. Top5 pick for us seems unlikely right now.
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
hope Mariota stays healthy to win some more games. when is Romo coming back? Boys should win a couple of games down the stretch i guess. and today chargers or bears will go to three W. Top5 pick for us seems unlikely right now.

If Gabbert plays well, this team could probably f**k around and win another 3 games with the Lions, Browns, Bears and Rams(at Levi's) still on the schedule.

We need at least to OL(tackle and guard).
Do you people remember how bad was Josh McCown in Tampa?
With good OL unit in Cleveland do you see how he looks this year?
He is the same player...

With a better OL Gabbert can be a lot better
What's sad, if we had finished off the giants, we would be sitting at 4-5. Then we are talking about a potential playoff push instead of holding out hope we get a top ten pick.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Our SOS will run closer to the mean after we play a couple of those bottom feeders. It'll all get sorted before season's end.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frozen49er:
What's sad, if we had finished off the giants, we would be sitting at 4-5. Then we are talking about a potential playoff push instead of holding out hope we get a top ten pick.

Even at 3-6, in this year's NFC, who knows. I don't think it's realistic. But it's not like there are any runaway wild card teams out there.

Regardless, this is an average draft class overall. Being in the top 15 is just as good as being in the top 10.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We're probably out of the Goff sweepstakes now with the win over Atlanta.
Share 49ersWebzone