There are 276 users in the forums

Jack Conklin Mich St. LT

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
With Tunsil and Stanley dominating their position as the #1 and #2 OT's in the upcoming draft, I like to look at other possibilities. Now I'm not sure where Conklin is really projected to be, I've seen 1st to 2nd round but of course things will be much clearer when or after the NFL Combine. What I like about Conklin is that he's a O-lineman with a mean streak, he completely walls off defenders in the passing game (when he's not late off the snap) and he's a mauler in the run game. Scouts project him to be more of a Right Tackle in the NFL, and that's EXACTLY what the 49ers need on the O-line. Now I don't know how well he'd fit as a Zone Blocker, but who cares, I'm hoping this coaching staff isn't in SF much longer, he certainly can't be any worse than Pears.

Jack Conklin 6'6" 320 pounds LT Michigan St.

Here he is matched up vs. Shawn Oakman, I think he gets beat once or twice, but overall did a solid job vs. him.

Here he is vs. a solid Ohio St. D-line, I thought he did a solid job in the running game.

From Rotoworld.com

n NFC area scout was surprised at Michigan State redshirt junior T Jack Conklin's lack of athleticism.

"After studying Michigan State, I'm surprised at how average (offensive tackle) Jack Conklin was athletically," the scout said. "I guess I just expected more based on his reputation. He's a good player, though. (He's a) better player than athlete, which isn't a bad thing." The so-so athleticism is why some believe Conklin is ticketed for RT in the pros. Make no mistake, though: This is a quality player. Conklin is a terrific run blocker who has allowed just two sacks over the past two seasons.

From NFLDraftScout.com

STRENGTHS: Conklin is well-built with excellent core strength, using his powerful upper body and center of gravity to be a mauler in the run game. He lines up with a firm anchor and rarely plays in reverse with quick eyes and smarts to pick up extra blockers. Very quick-minded and never takes a play off.

WEAKNESSES: Will get his feet tied up in his outside kick-slide, which forces him to fall off balance. Lacks the quick-twitch body control to always pick up edge speed.

IN OUR VIEW: Some scouts are head-over-heels excited about his potential while others are simply lukewarm on his NFL future, but regardless, Conklin displays the "steady-eddie" skill-set and intangibles that should lead to a long pro career.

Brah I take him for his name alone! "RT Conkling fakas left and right" I can get used to that
I like him more at RT. I don't see him ever becoming an LT due to lack of athleticism required to play the position.
Originally posted by gametime49er:
I like him more at RT. I don't see him ever becoming an LT due to lack of athleticism required to play the position.

I agree. That said he can be a very good RT in the NFL. The 49ers used a very early 1st rounder on Davis to be a RT so it's not unprecedented.

Ideally they would trade back up into the 1st round to take him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:17 PM ]

If Davis come back in shape we could move him inside and play him as a RG or even LG if Boone is not resigned and the coaching staff don't trust Tiller.
Rather have Spriggs
Originally posted by shmuck:
Rather have Spriggs

Spriggs and Haeg are two others that I am very big on.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 30, 2015 at 6:01 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

That's exactly what I was thinking, RT to take over for Pears and maybe Alex Mack and a RG in free agency. I'm not sure if it's the Zone Blocking scheme that has the O-line playing like Peewees, but I'd much rather go back to power running game and mauling players like this O-line use to.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
That's exactly what I was thinking, RT to take over for Pears and maybe Alex Mack and a RG in free agency. I'm not sure if it's the Zone Blocking scheme that has the O-line playing like Peewees, but I'd much rather go back to power running game and mauling players like this O-line use to.

All depends on who the head coach is. If they hired a guy like Hue Jackson then you'd definitely see a return to a man blocking system and hence a higher value on a guy like Conklin.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

All depends on who the head coach is. If they hired a guy like Hue Jackson then you'd definitely see a return to a man blocking system and hence a higher value on a guy like Conklin.

I REALLY don't wanna see this coaching staff draft a player like Jared Goff and screw up his career the way Nolan did to Alex Smith. This staff needs to GTFO before we fans see the dark ages of Mike Nolan come back. If they make Kap the scapegoat of the season to save their asses then fine, FIX the O-line THEN draft a QB like Lynch, Goff, Cook, Brisset or whatever/whoever just fix the damn O-line is what I care about and maybe if Tomsula is safe fine, just kick Geep's ass out the door for the love god PLEASE!!!

I REALLY don't wanna see this coaching staff draft a player like Jared Goff and screw up his career the way Nolan did to Alex Smith. This staff needs to GTFO before we fans see the dark ages of Mike Nolan come back. If they make Kap the scapegoat of the season to save their asses then fine, FIX the O-line THEN draft a QB like Lynch, Goff, Cook, Brisset or whatever/whoever just fix the damn O-line is what I care about and maybe if Tomsula is safe fine, just kick Geep's ass out the door for the love god PLEASE!!!

Oh man if Tomsula is still the HC, go OL or DL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Oh man if Tomsula is still the HC, go OL or DL.

I agree, but I hope they don't reach for OL & DL. The Lions did that in the late '90s / early '00s.

Take the best player (his name is Connor Cook).
I like this pick in the 2nd round. I think he'd be a good right guard. He looks good in both pass and run protection. If we get Davis and Kilgore back, plug this guy in at RG and it could solve our OL problems.
Here is some vid of him going up against DeForrest Buckner
He had a pretty good combine IMO and answered my biggest concern about him, athleticism.
[ Edited by joaosoarrs99 on Feb 26, 2016 at 4:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone