There are 166 users in the forums

2016 Mock #1

I like all except getting rid of Tank and Boone,Let tank drop his weight and switch to a 4-3 Defense and watch the diffrence it makes for tank and Lynch on the Ends
Originally posted by saniner:
Didn't mock any coaching changes....I only hope for them.

Free Agents:
I really wanted to include Cordy Glenn or Joe Barksdale at OT, but decided against it and stuck with drafting an OT to battle with Davis(if he comes back) and Brown.

Chris Chester OG - older player. Would bridge the gap until someone else steps up. Knows the ZBS well

Josh Gordon WR - give him a 2 year deal with tons of incentives. If he comes back similar to the player he was before he would be an amazing addition. I wanted to go Jeffery here, but IIRC Baalke wanted to trade for Gordon.

Dwayne Allen TE - Fleener goes back to Indy, Allen comes cheaper due to injuries.

Chris Polk RB - solid backup

Jared Crick DE - Earned a starting spot and he's playing well right now. Should be able to start over Dial.

Billy Winn DE - depth

Craig Robertson ILB - Undrafted player who has improved greatly in his few years. Rotational player, special teams ace, and a great locker room guy.

Matt Cassell QB - won't be a threat to start, but a solid backup

David Bruton S - backup safety, great special teams player

Corey Acosta K - bring him back!

Restructure/extend:
Navorro Bowman (restructure)
Colin Kaepernick (restructure)
Ahmad Brooks (restructure)
Daniel Kilgore (extend) - I think he helps the offensive line greatly when he gets back.

Re-sign:
Garrett Celek
Ian Williams

Trade/release/don't re-sign (the purge):
Glenn Dorsey (trade) - proved in KC that he isn't a 3-4 DE. He's a NT and is being misused here.

Tank Carradine (trade) - trade him to a 4-3 team and let him be DE

Gabbert
Patton
VD
Reggie Bush
TJE
Jordan Devey
Alex Boone
Erik Pears
Lemonier
Skov
Wilhoite
Boldin
Hayne
Bethea

Draft
I expect a lot of movement, so I won't really get into slotting, but I'd love to see something like this:

1 Paxton Lynch QB - High potential pick. He definitely needs some work with mechanics, but he has improved greatly each year. You need a franchise QB and I think Lynch can be that guy. I'm sold on the hype!

2 Jason Spriggs OT/OG - I know he's slotted as a mid round guy, but each year athletic offensive lineman move up fast. Spriggs might be that guy this year. Can fight to start at RT or LG until he takes over for Staley

3 Jonathan Allen OLB - Former WR. Has all the tools he just needs some time to develop. He can learn behind Brooks for now.

4 Briean Boddy-Calhoun CB - Injury drops him a bit. I like him better than his teammate Murray. Playmaker.

5 Charles Tapper DE - good size and athleticism. Project player for sure. He can learn behind AA, Dial, Crick

5b Jamal Golden S - Was one of the top return men before transferring to GT. Plays hard

6 Matt Hegarty C/G - Made a good move switching schools. He wouldn't start at ND, and he's playing well now.

Late round/FA targets
Joe Walker LB - One of my favorite players to watch. He's all over the place making big hits. Should be a great special teams player right away

Byron Marshall RB/WR - great as a receiver, ok as a RB. He's all speed, not much else. He could possibly be the receiving threat Bush was supposed to be.

QB - CK, Cassell, Lynch
RB - Hyde, Davis, Polk, Marshall
FB - Miller
WR - Smith, Gordon, Ellington, Smelter, Anderson/White
TE - Allen, Celek, Bell (Anderson PS)
OT - Staley, Spriggs, Brown (maybe Davis)
OG - Chester, Martin, Thomas/Tiller(Spriggs/Hegarty)
C - Kilgore, Hegarty (Martin)

DE - AA, Crick, Dial, Tapper, Winn
NT - Williams, Purcell (Dial)
OLB - Lynch, Brooks, Harold, Allen
ILB - Bowman, Hodges, Robertson, Walker(special teams)
CB - Brock, Acker, Ward, Boddy-Calhoun, Johnson, Reaser
FS - Reid, Golden (Ward)
SS - Tartt, Bruton, McCray

PK - Acosta
P - Pinion
LS - Nelson

KR Ellington/Marshall/Golden
PR Ellington/Marshall/Golden

Let me have it!
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Yeah but he's a DT and Watt is a DE. I'm not sure but different certain positions get paid more than others. Like OT gets more pay than OG. I'm thinking it's the same on the dline. Suh is a DT and he gets 19mil. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Wilkerson too, just hope he doesn't cost an insane amount of money.

That's true. That crap always confuses me.
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
If Kap is released I completely agree on signing Cassel but while Kap is not released I think is just waste of cap space.

Yeah it was frustrating making the final 53 knowing a QB was taking a spot.

I like Lynch a lot but struggle starting a rookie QB right out the gate. Although, drafting one early should mean he starts. I guess Lynch with Cassell as his backup would work
x
I like all except getting rid of Tank and Boone,Let tank drop his weight and switch to a 4-3 Defense and watch the diffrence it makes for tank and Lynch on the Ends
Didn't mock any coaching changes....I only hope for them.

Free Agents:
I really wanted to include Cordy Glenn or Joe Barksdale at OT, but decided against it and stuck with drafting an OT to battle with Davis(if he comes back) and Brown.

Chris Chester OG - older player. Would bridge the gap until someone else steps up. Knows the ZBS well

Josh Gordon WR - give him a 2 year deal with tons of incentives. If he comes back similar to the player he was before he would be an amazing addition. I wanted to go Jeffery here, but IIRC Baalke wanted to trade for Gordon.

Dwayne Allen TE - Fleener goes back to Indy, Allen comes cheaper due to injuries.

Chris Polk RB - solid backup

Jared Crick DE - Earned a starting spot and he's playing well right now. Should be able to start over Dial.

Billy Winn DE - depth

Craig Robertson ILB - Undrafted player who has improved greatly in his few years. Rotational player, special teams ace, and a great locker room guy.

Matt Cassell QB - won't be a threat to start, but a solid backup

David Bruton S - backup safety, great special teams player

Corey Acosta K - bring him back!

Restructure/extend:
Navorro Bowman (restructure)
Colin Kaepernick (restructure)
Ahmad Brooks (restructure)
Daniel Kilgore (extend) - I think he helps the offensive line greatly when he gets back.

Re-sign:
Garrett Celek
Ian Williams

Trade/release/don't re-sign (the purge):
Glenn Dorsey (trade) - proved in KC that he isn't a 3-4 DE. He's a NT and is being misused here.

Tank Carradine (trade) - trade him to a 4-3 team and let him be DE

Gabbert
Patton
VD
Reggie Bush
TJE
Jordan Devey
Alex Boone
Erik Pears
Lemonier
Skov
Wilhoite
Boldin
Hayne
Bethea

Draft
I expect a lot of movement, so I won't really get into slotting, but I'd love to see something like this:

1 Paxton Lynch QB - High potential pick. He definitely needs some work with mechanics, but he has improved greatly each year. You need a franchise QB and I think Lynch can be that guy. I'm sold on the hype!

2 Jason Spriggs OT/OG - I know he's slotted as a mid round guy, but each year athletic offensive lineman move up fast. Spriggs might be that guy this year. Can fight to start at RT or LG until he takes over for Staley

3 Jonathan Allen OLB - Former WR. Has all the tools he just needs some time to develop. He can learn behind Brooks for now.

4 Briean Boddy-Calhoun CB - Injury drops him a bit. I like him better than his teammate Murray. Playmaker.

5 Charles Tapper DE - good size and athleticism. Project player for sure. He can learn behind AA, Dial, Crick

5b Jamal Golden S - Was one of the top return men before transferring to GT. Plays hard

6 Matt Hegarty C/G - Made a good move switching schools. He wouldn't start at ND, and he's playing well now.

Late round/FA targets
Joe Walker LB - One of my favorite players to watch. He's all over the place making big hits. Should be a great special teams player right away

Byron Marshall RB/WR - great as a receiver, ok as a RB. He's all speed, not much else. He could possibly be the receiving threat Bush was supposed to be.

QB - CK, Cassell, Lynch
RB - Hyde, Davis, Polk, Marshall
FB - Miller
WR - Smith, Gordon, Ellington, Smelter, Anderson/White
TE - Allen, Celek, Bell (Anderson PS)
OT - Staley, Spriggs, Brown (maybe Davis)
OG - Chester, Martin, Thomas/Tiller(Spriggs/Hegarty)
C - Kilgore, Hegarty (Martin)

DE - AA, Crick, Dial, Tapper, Winn
NT - Williams, Purcell (Dial)
OLB - Lynch, Brooks, Harold, Allen
ILB - Bowman, Hodges, Robertson, Walker(special teams)
CB - Brock, Acker, Ward, Boddy-Calhoun, Johnson, Reaser
FS - Reid, Golden (Ward)
SS - Tartt, Bruton, McCray

PK - Acosta
P - Pinion
LS - Nelson

KR Ellington/Marshall/Golden
PR Ellington/Marshall/Golden

Let me have it!

Originally posted by Alfienator:
I would keep Tank. Make him lose weight and go back to college weight and make him an OLB.
x2
If love to keep Tank. Not as a DE. Not sure how he'd do as an OLB, but if Michael Neal can do it for the Pack, why not Tank?
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
Why not make Lynch our primary backup and don't sign Cassel?

In case Kaep is released or traded. It gives you a safety net as you already have a guy who knows the system as your backup. Just a precautionary move.

It keeps the rookie QB from being forced on the field. Which ever QB we draft will not be ready to start day one. Lynch or Goff have a high enough upside that you have to use an early pick on them.
I don't think taking a QB first round fixes any of the issues we have at the QB position.
We need two starting lineman acquired in FA or in the draft to at least even begin to think about upgrading our QB position. Our offense is set up to have the QB fail no matter who we put there.
All good points, thanks!
  • Ike49
Why are we drafting a WR and TE, 2 of our first 3 picks when we need pass rush, MLB and OL help desperately?

We better not draft any WRs until after the 5th round, how many years in a row do we have to watch WRs get drafted that we have already seen over and over and over again that we cannot develop?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Actually Dorsey played DT and then NT in KC and was horrible and considered a bust. They moved him to 3-4 DE and he played better. He's a better 3-4 DE than a NT.

Not sure why you wold extend Kilgore with him coming off this injury.

Not sold on Josh Gordan every walking a straight line

Hopefully they can find a proven play maker in free agency. Those guys minus the o lineman aren't really adding anything to this team.

Good points on Dorsey. I probably have that backwards

I think with the money spent on Smith last offseason it would be hard to go in on a guy like Jeffery, so taking a chance on Gordon would make sense. It's exactly the type of move Baalke likes. He did the same with Aldon this past offseason.

The only other guy I would really want is Wilkerson. He and AA would be dynamic

I like the general structure of your draft, finally someone is taking a QB in the 1st!! Thank you!! I am not going to debate about Lynch vs Goff at this point as there is still a lot of football to be played.

OK, WR free agent wise, I am with lamontb, Josh Gordon might be a complete beast especially with the deep ball, but I just think he is too much of a gamble with his off-field issues, this guy is a repeated offender. I have no faith nor confidence whatsoever that he won't get into the same sh*t again.

And by the way, what happened to Jerome Simpson? He can easily play the deep ball too. Seriously, if Jerome Simpson is going to behave, I really don't see the need to sign a big time free agent WR if we are keeping Torrey. Unless you cut Torrey then the only right thing to do will be to sign Alshon Jeffery.

RB wise, just not enough firepower there. Just look around the league now, teams have really strong options in their RB corps. Just take a look at the Cowboys and the Eagles for example. I am not familiar with Bryon Marshall, but I just watched his highlights on YouTube, he didn't look fast to me in terms of football speed, he looked like another LaMike James. I believe we need a legit free agent RB otherwise we won't be able to compete. There will be quite a few choices out there, it all depends on whether we can throw enough money at them to land one. Chris Ivory might be good.
[ Edited by Rascal on Oct 29, 2015 at 7:02 PM ]

I think Wilkerson with AA would be fantastic as a duo. Wilkerson would be able to get 8+ sacks, Lynch would benefit greatly, and any other OLB would almost always only have 1 guy to beat. I think he would be the best investment. Problem is, how much would he want? 6yr for $100m? Based on other contracts and the cap rising it wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Yeah Wilkerson has already mentioned he wants $100 mil and no way Baalke/Paarge will pay anyone other than a QB that much, especially in FA. That's just not how they operate. Plus I don't think ANY player other than a QB is worth $100 mil and that much of your precious cap space.

Just look at the really good teams, none of them are spending anywhere near that kind of money on a non QB. 95% of those big FA signings turn out to be big mistakes.
Share 49ersWebzone