There are 152 users in the forums

Yay Area's Mock #1

1. First round (Own pick) - Jaylen Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame
2. Second round (Own pick) - Spencer Drango, OG/OT, Baylor
3. Third round (Own pick) - Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota St.
4. Fourth round (Own pick) - Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech
5. Fourth round (Projected comp pick) - Terrance Smith, OLB/ILB, Florida State
6. Fifth round (Own pick) - Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia
7. Fifth round (San Diego pick acquired from 2015 draft trade-back) - Luke Rhodes, ILB, William and Mary
8. Fifth round (Projected comp pick) - Jacoby Brissett, QB, North Carolina State
9. Sixth round (Dallas pick acquired from 2015 draft trade-back) - Brad Craddock, K, Maryland
10. Sixth round: Projected compensatory selection - Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU
***Currently projected to have three compensatory picks based on net losses of free agents this offseason due to the 2015 free-agent losses of Mike Iupati, Perrish Cox and Dan Skuta

I don't believe Goff will come out this year. Even if he did, I would be scared to death of putting behind this offensive line. So I want to rebuild the offensive line in the draft. And if Anthony Davis does come back, then you add him to the mix, and you let the guys compete. On defense, we have good depth on the defensive line. Our secondary is young and inexperienced. But they are gaining that experience this year. But we need help at linebacker. I think this draft accomplishes that.
I wouldn't be upset with this but I think you went overkill on the tackles in the 4th round.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Brandon Doughty over Jacoby Bisscuit please.
  • mr_P
What position does Jaylon Smith play in our defense? He's really light for our linebacking positions. He's a great talent, but he seems tailor made for the 4-3.
[ Edited by mr_P on Oct 24, 2015 at 4:31 PM ]
Originally posted by mr_P:
What position does Jaylon Smith play in our defense? He's really light for our linebacking positions. He's a great talent, but he seems tailor made for the 4-3.

ILB. He'd be a great fit next to Bowman.
  • mr_P
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
ILB. He'd be a great fit next to Bowman.

do you think he'd need to pack on some weight? I googled his weight and he came up at 229. Seems way too light when you consider he'll be tasked with taking on RBs like Beastmode and Gurley, who weigh as much or more than he does.

Maybe he just needs to get on those NFL grade steroids, and he'll fill out just fine.

The talent is, however, undeniable. He flies all over the place.
[ Edited by mr_P on Oct 24, 2015 at 4:53 PM ]
So if we have a top 5 pick you want to take a ILB? He's a great player and I haven't done my homework on all the prospects but seems a little early for ILB?
Originally posted by mr_P:

He does everything.
In the first 5 picks you picked player for just 2 positions. And if we are gonna get Jaylon Smith it would be good to make a trade down(3 or 4 spots) first and gain an extra 3rd or 2nd.
https://twitter.com/Obey_Pride/status/656151406680887297

Size/strength is not a problem. He looks like he's ~235 and strong enough to play ILB, but he could put on 5 more pounds if necessary. Our other linebackers can't cover very well, so Jaylon Smith would probably drop back a fair amount, but he can do everything. We need him to be Patrick Willis if we pick him this early and he might be close (probably not quite the big hitter, but he's made some big hits and is awesome at wrapping up in the open field).

If we win 4 games, we'd probably be able to trade down and still get Smith as jaosoarrs suggested. It looks like right now he could go as high as 6th after the two tackles, two DL, and Goff, but there's a long time before the draft.

He's listed at 240 now, but his draft profile shows 235. I think he's well above 229, but we'll see at the combine. I have zero doubt he can tackle Lynch or Gurley. He's a similar athlete to Gurley in my opinion - best player on ND's defense by far.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Oct 24, 2015 at 8:12 PM ]
You can definitely make the argument that drafting three offensive lineman and three linebackers is overkill. But I think you can also look at the current depth we have at tackle (Staley, Pears, Brown, maybe Davis next year), guard (Boone, Silberman, Devey, Tiller, maybe Martin next year), inside linebacker (Bowman, Wilhoite, Skov, and Hodges) and outside linebacker (Lynch, Brooks, Harold, and Lemonier, and see that we need serious talent infusions at all four positions.
Fixing the OL should largely depend on FAs. OLinemen usually take a year or two to develop. The Niners' 2nd need is a pass rush.
Man if we drafted that much overkill on linebackers N O-line I'd say we were tanking tha 2016 season ....Id hope we take a QB much earlier then tha 5th round same for taken a WR before tha 6th round ...
Talent is needed all across the board. Depending where we draft and it looks very likely at least top 10 if not top 5, anyone from Bosa, nkemdiche, or Jaylon Smith fill needs and are the impact immediate starters we so desperately need. OL should be addressed immediately after and luckily the draft is rich in those, just take your pickings and hope they pan out. Then you got the pass rush. I'm not too sure how good the draft will be for it but hell, if there's one thing Baalke doesn't completely whiff on its pass rush.
Share 49ersWebzone