LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Pass rush draft

• Elric
  • Veteran
Its apparent pass rush should be our #1 priority in the up coming draft.
Ahmad Brooks
Aaron Lynch
are the only 2 players on our squad that put presser on Quarterbacks.
They need help.
The offensive line is second priority
then comes ILB and safety.

Jeoy bosa from Ohio state would help
but we would have to lose all the rest of our games in order for him
to drop into our laps.
I could use some help form my 49ers brother looking for an impact rusher.

restocking our pass rushers will make our cornerbacks look like stars
1st round Pass rusher
2nd round offensive line
3rd round ILB as the season wears on bowman look more an more limited shoot first game he looked like a stud.
4round there is something not quit right with our safety's it might be just average tacking?
Too bad outside of Bosa there are no passrushers in this draft. Brutal draft for 3-4 OLB's
Shaq Lawson pls
It depends on the round, in the 1st I think that the 49ers should go BPA, whether it is a DL, an OT, an ILB, QB, even a CB.

As far as pass rushers, go, if we're talking 1st round, here are the top ones from the way everything stands right now.

Joey Bosa-6'5", 280-DL-Ohio State-Can play any spot on the DL, absurdly polished for such a young player, father was an NFL player as well. Doesn't have great speed or athleticism but an outstanding motor.

Expected Range-Picks 1-4

Robert Nkemdiche-6'5", 290-DL-Ole Miss-Freakishly athletic for as big as he is, when he is on he can simply destroy or run around blockers. A wrecking ball of a DL but is inconsistent, iffy motor.

Expected Range-Picks 1-5

Leonard Floyd-6'4", 230-OLB-Georgia-Explosive edge pass rusher, can blow tackles right off the line. Inconsistent, smaller than what you would like from a 3-4 DE and is pretty stiff when dropping back into coverage.

Expected Range-Picks 9-16

Emmanuel Ogbah-6'4", 270-DL-Oklahoma State- A very impressive prospect that is moving up fast, outstanding motor with good athleticism that is having a great season for Oklahoma State. He's a guy with pretty good athleticism that has been consistently productive. In a 3-4 he could potentially play at OLB or further bulk up and move to DE. He's currently on pace to break Oklahoma State records for sacks in a single season after having 11 last season. If the 49ers go for an OLB, this would be my pick.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/105339/constant-improvement-sparks-emmanuel-ogbahs-dominance-for-oklahoma-state

The Oklahoma State defensive end dominates games in ways few can. He has set up shop in opponents' backfields this season, recording 7.5 sacks, nine hurries and 11 tackles for loss in six games.

"His ability to take over a game, from a defensive end position, that's something unique," Oklahoma State defensive line coach Joe Bob Clements said. "He matters. You have to know where No. 38 is on the field. And even if you do know, he still has the ability to make the play. Those things don't happen by chance. There's a lot more to it than just luck."

Those seeds were planted long before they sprouted this fall. The early mornings running stadiums, challenging summer workouts and extra film sessions to make sure he is prepared each Saturday, are the underlying factors every time he steps on the field and dominates.

"I work way too hard to settle for less, that's what I tell myself," he said. "It comes from the hard work put in during the summer and spring. Running stadiums in the cold, cold air in your lungs … we only get 12 games [to play]. We want to win championships, we want to be the best, we've put in the work. It's a pride thing, we've worked hard to earn this reward."

"I've never had a player like this who has continually gotten better and better and better," said Clements, who has coached several defensive line standouts, including Jake Laptad at Kansas and Meshak Williams at Kansas State, before arriving in Stillwater in 2013. "The level he's playing right now, I've never had a player as good as him."

Expected Range-Picks 6-16

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 23, 2015 at 9:54 AM ]
Another guy to look at is Joe Schobert of Wisconsin who has come from out of nowhere to be one of the college football leaders in sacks, TFL and forced fumbles this season.

It's not unusual for a walk-on to thrive at Wisconsin. Ever heard of J.J. Watt? How about Jared Abbrederis or Jim Leonhard?

Nine members of the current two-deep came to Madison without a scholarship. Wisconsin has become Walk-On U.

But here's what sets linebacker Joe Schobert apart: He was so lightly regarded by college coaches that he planned to walk on … at North Dakota of the FCS.

The day before he was set to drive 640 miles from Waukesha (just west of Milwaukee) to Grand Forks, N.D., then-Badgers coach Bret Bielema called and assured him he would be admitted to Wisconsin.

There was no promise, but Schobert trusted Bielema. Smart move.

"He was a very good athlete but undersized, kind of gangly," Bielema told the Tribune from his post at Arkansas. "When I saw him I said, 'Ooh, pretty frail.' Nothing like he is now."

Schobert went on scholarship in 2013, and he has been an absolute terror this season. The 6-foot-2, 236-pound outside linebacker is second nationally in tackles for a loss (141/2), sacks (91/2) and forced fumbles (4) to Penn State's Carl Nassib, who also paid his own way to start his college career.

So much for the science of recruiting.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-wisconsin-joe-schobert-spt-1023-20151022-column.html
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 23, 2015 at 10:10 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It depends on the round, in the 1st I think that the 49ers should go BPA, whether it is a DL, an OT, an ILB, QB, even a CB.

As far as pass rushers, go, if we're talking 1st round, here are the top ones from the way everything stands right now.

Joey Bosa-6'5", 280-DL-Ohio State-Can play any spot on the DL, absurdly polished for such a young player, father was an NFL player as well. Doesn't have great speed or athleticism but an outstanding motor.

Expected Range-Picks 1-4

Robert Nkemdiche-6'5", 290-DL-Ole Miss-Freakishly athletic for as big as he is, when he is on he can simply destroy or run around blockers. A wrecking ball of a DL but is inconsistent, iffy motor.

Expected Range-Picks 1-5

Leonard Floyd-6'4", 230-OLB-Georgia-Explosive edge pass rusher, can blow tackles right off the line. Inconsistent, smaller than what you would like from a 3-4 DE and is pretty stiff when dropping back into coverage.

Expected Range-Picks 9-16

Emmanuel Ogbah-6'4", 270-DL-Oklahoma State- A very impressive prospect that is moving up fast, outstanding motor with good athleticism that is having a great season for Oklahoma State. He's a guy with pretty good athleticism that has been consistently productive. In a 3-4 he could potentially play at OLB or further bulk up and move to DE. He's currently on pace to break Oklahoma State records for sacks in a single season after having 11 last season. If the 49ers go for an OLB, this would be my pick.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/105339/constant-improvement-sparks-emmanuel-ogbahs-dominance-for-oklahoma-state

The Oklahoma State defensive end dominates games in ways few can. He has set up shop in opponents' backfields this season, recording 7.5 sacks, nine hurries and 11 tackles for loss in six games.

"His ability to take over a game, from a defensive end position, that's something unique," Oklahoma State defensive line coach Joe Bob Clements said. "He matters. You have to know where No. 38 is on the field. And even if you do know, he still has the ability to make the play. Those things don't happen by chance. There's a lot more to it than just luck."

Those seeds were planted long before they sprouted this fall. The early mornings running stadiums, challenging summer workouts and extra film sessions to make sure he is prepared each Saturday, are the underlying factors every time he steps on the field and dominates.

"I work way too hard to settle for less, that's what I tell myself," he said. "It comes from the hard work put in during the summer and spring. Running stadiums in the cold, cold air in your lungs … we only get 12 games [to play]. We want to win championships, we want to be the best, we've put in the work. It's a pride thing, we've worked hard to earn this reward."

"I've never had a player like this who has continually gotten better and better and better," said Clements, who has coached several defensive line standouts, including Jake Laptad at Kansas and Meshak Williams at Kansas State, before arriving in Stillwater in 2013. "The level he's playing right now, I've never had a player as good as him."

Expected Range-Picks 6-16

I like all the names except Floyd. We also should look at DeForest Buckner. He look a lot like Armstead who is our best pass rushing DE right now. He also has the best PFF pass rushing grade in college.

DeForest Buckner, Oregon, +43.7

Two sacks and four hurries against Washington keeps Buckner at the top, as he's now notched six sacks, six hits, and 25 hurries on 284 rushes this season, good for a nation-high 27.9 pass rush grade. His +16.8 run grade is 11th in the country, and he's tied for the national lead with 24 stops.
[ Edited by joaosoarrs99 on Oct 23, 2015 at 10:31 AM ]
As mentioned in the previous article, Carl Nassib, brother of Giants backup QB Ryan Nassib, has also turned into an absolute pass-rushing beast this season. Like Schobert, he's another walk-on, a guy who never started a game(not even in high school) until this season and has been more or less unstoppable. Nassib especially has a pretty good build, going 6'7" and 270.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13900408/carl-nassib-joe-schobert-go-walk-sack-kings

Look at them now: Nassib, a defensive end, leads the nation with 10 sacks, followed by Schobert, an outside linebacker, with nine. Schobert leads the nation in tackles for loss with 13.5, while Nassib is tied for second with 12. Nassib leads the nation in forced fumbles (5), while Schobert is tied for second (4).

Spencer doesn't mess with Nassib on game days. No one does. He eats his pregame meal in silence, listening to his headphones --- "Looking through people," Spencer said.

It's all part of Nassib's edge, which Penn State's coaches implore him to never lose.

"Carl has something to prove," Spencer said, "every time he's on the field."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/125626/penn-state-de-carl-nassib-nations-sack-leader-i-dont-think-about-stats

The only time Nassib truly addressed his improvement, or his transformation from a 218-pound freshman into a 275-pound senior, occurred when the subject of his mentality arose. Nassib said a lot by saying a little -- and it offered a peek at just what drives a scout-team player to become one of the Big Ten's best.

"People work hard for a while and expect results to come out like that," Nassib said, snapping. "And it's difficult to work hard every day for long periods of time and not really see the fruits of your labor until later in life. But those are the really lucky people that strive to be the best they can be and, one day, they look at themselves and they are.

"I want to be one of those people who can look at myself in the mirror and know I did everything I could to be the best that I can."

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
I want to see SPARQ numbers
Originally posted by All22:
I want to see SPARQ numbers

I'd rather focus on what they do out on the football field in pads than what they look like in their underwear, that is unless you're looking to put together a track and field team.
Shaq Lawson

I'd argue that O-line is the bigger priority, but I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to get a dominant pass rusher. A player like that can change the face of the defense and make us downright dominant again. Even though I would prefer to take a top tier tackle with our first round pick, the dominant pass rusher may have the bigger impact and be the smarter move financially. Simply put, dominant pass rushes do not hit the open market. However I have seen some daily good offensive linemen become available in years past.
Floyd is a an elite pass rusher with Pro Bowl talent. In a 3-4 he could have 10+ sacks as a rookie if he's allowed get after the QB.

Schobert looks like a guy that can contribute from day 1 as a situation pass rusher and could develop into a solid starter at 3-4 OLB.

Ogbah will probably get drafted earlier than he should. His high character could appeal to our losing with class mold.
[ Edited by strickac on Oct 25, 2015 at 6:10 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
No Shawn Oakman??
Originally posted by jimrat:
No Shawn Oakman??

Having a so-so year, kind of disappointed. At this point I'd rather have Buckner over him. I see Oakman being a bigger project than Armstead.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jimrat:
No Shawn Oakman??

Having a so-so year, kind of disappointed. At this point I'd rather have Buckner over him. I see Oakman being a bigger project than Armstead.

Him being suspended at the beginning of the year hasn't helped him for sure
Share 49ersWebzone