Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Falk this guy.

Falk goff

You are Mother Falking kidding me!

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm in on Falk, too. Phoenix, if you need someone to ride shotgun I'm here for you.

Seats taken.
What do people see in this guy that makes you think "franchise QB?" Or are you just being optimistic?

He looks pretty good, but I don't know that he looks great by any means. At this point, I'd say he looks like something between a Ryan Tannehill and a Joe Flacco.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm in on Falk, too. Phoenix, if you need someone to ride shotgun I'm here for you.

Seats taken.

I started watching one of his best statistical games last season. I'm very concerned as he didn't seem to have much feel for the pass rush. He was strip sacked 3 times in the 1st half. He needs to show significant improvement in this area of his game. He looked clueless to the pass rush and would consistently hang in there and not feel the pocket collapsing until he was already on the ground.

Originally posted by goldstandard:
I started watching one of his best statistical games last season. I'm very concerned as he didn't seem to have much feel for the pass rush. He was strip sacked 3 times in the 1st half. He needs to show significant improvement in this area of his game. He looked clueless to the pass rush and would consistently hang in there and not feel the pocket collapsing until he was already on the ground.

Sure better pocket presence would be great but it's not a total negative since as you noticed he actually hangs in there vs running out of the pocket and taking his eyes off down the field.

I'd rather see a guy take a lot of sacks trying to make plays(similar to Roethlisberger) vs a guy who gives up on plays at the first sign of pressure(Kap :()

If a guy stands in there it's easy enough to teach him how to move around in the pocket. If however he's scared chitless to get hit things will only get worse in the pros.
For a guy that puts up such flashy numbers (nearly 400 passing YPG in 2015), Falk's game is shockingly devoid of drama. Hardly ever a floating duck, daring scramble, or a throw that makes you clench your teeth — he makes it look so easy that it's almost boring. You know he's going to make the play. That assured feeling you get watching him remains when he's under duress. Although he's not the most mobile quarterback out there, you can trust that he'll shimmy around the pocket enough to procure some time and find an open receiver.

If there aren't any good options, he's more than likely to take the sack or throw it as far away as possible while still avoiding the penalty.

He's a highly risk-averse passer, college football's version of a mutual fund. However, that doesn't mean he's weak in the pocket. Rather, it's the contrary — he's a confident, strong presence with defenders in his face.

http://www.pacifictakes.com/2016/8/10/12410638/luke-falk-system-quarterback-heisman-dark-hors

For example, take this play against Arizona State. It's a standard Air Raid formation, out of the shotgun with twin sets of receivers on both sides. None of the routes fool the Sun Devils' secondary, and Falk quickly finds he has no real options downfield.

Some might panic and try to scramble or force a desperate throw, but not Falk. Instead of playing hero ball, he trusts that his teammates will eventually get open. Even when there's a defensive lineman hot on his tracks.

Then, he has the awareness and field vision to spot the receiver that broke free downfield and adjust accordingly. He takes a short step back, giving him enough separation to push the ball downfield and pick up an easy explosive play to get the Cougars across midfield.

The numbers reinforce Falk's value as a clear-headed, pure passer — he received a grade from Pro-Football Focus that made him the 12th-best overall quarterback in the nation last year. These rankings don't overstate the value of the misleading but eye-popping yardage totals that Leach's system fosters — it creates a level, context neutral playing field for players to be evaluated for their contributions on a per-play basis.

And for his passing, he was rated second in the nation in ESPN's Pass EPA, a stat that measures a quarterback's "expected points added on plays with pass attempts." Essentially, Falk created the second-most value in the nation with his arm last season.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
For a guy that puts up such flashy numbers (nearly 400 passing YPG in 2015), Falk's game is shockingly devoid of drama. Hardly ever a floating duck, daring scramble, or a throw that makes you clench your teeth — he makes it look so easy that it's almost boring. You know he's going to make the play. That assured feeling you get watching him remains when he's under duress. Although he's not the most mobile quarterback out there, you can trust that he'll shimmy around the pocket enough to procure some time and find an open receiver.

If there aren't any good options, he's more than likely to take the sack or throw it as far away as possible while still avoiding the penalty.

He's a highly risk-averse passer, college football's version of a mutual fund. However, that doesn't mean he's weak in the pocket. Rather, it's the contrary — he's a confident, strong presence with defenders in his face.

http://www.pacifictakes.com/2016/8/10/12410638/luke-falk-system-quarterback-heisman-dark-hors

For example, take this play against Arizona State. It's a standard Air Raid formation, out of the shotgun with twin sets of receivers on both sides. None of the routes fool the Sun Devils' secondary, and Falk quickly finds he has no real options downfield.

Some might panic and try to scramble or force a desperate throw, but not Falk. Instead of playing hero ball, he trusts that his teammates will eventually get open. Even when there's a defensive lineman hot on his tracks.

Then, he has the awareness and field vision to spot the receiver that broke free downfield and adjust accordingly. He takes a short step back, giving him enough separation to push the ball downfield and pick up an easy explosive play to get the Cougars across midfield.

The numbers reinforce Falk's value as a clear-headed, pure passer — he received a grade from Pro-Football Focus that made him the 12th-best overall quarterback in the nation last year. These rankings don't overstate the value of the misleading but eye-popping yardage totals that Leach's system fosters — it creates a level, context neutral playing field for players to be evaluated for their contributions on a per-play basis.

And for his passing, he was rated second in the nation in ESPN's Pass EPA, a stat that measures a quarterback's "expected points added on plays with pass attempts." Essentially, Falk created the second-most value in the nation with his arm last season.

Love it. I really hope that they go QB-WR in the first and second next year. Falk-Dupre or Watson-Dupre would be awesome.
Falk in the 1st and Butt in the second. Yeah Falk Butt connection has some real comedic chances

Washington State redshirt junior QB Luke Falk's decision-making was lauded by an anonymous Pac-12 offensive coach.

"He's in a great system where they put a lot of stuff on the quarterback," the coach said. "They give him a lot of decisions at the line of scrimmage. He does a great job of understanding defenses and where to go with the ball. I think he's talented. But the mental aspect -- that has made him such a good player." Falk threw for 4,561 yards and a 38/8 TD/INT ratio last season.

Maybe you are surprised by Falk's inclusion on this list, and I have to admit that I was surprised while watching his tape. Throwing for 4,561 yards and 38 touchdowns doesn't necessarily get me excited when we are talking about an "Air Raid" quarterback, but quarterbacks with his combination of size, compact release and pocket poise do. Falk will stand in and take the hit to deliver a strike, and he has mobility outside the pocket as well. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I don't see Falk as a system quarterback ... I see him as a future NFL starter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000675711/article/top-15-juniors-in-college-football
Climb on board the Falking train!
Originally posted by genus49:
Climb on board the Falking train!

He's the closest thing to Goff in this upcoming draft, similar build, fast release, throwing accuracy, shows patience in the pocket, Falk also comes out of pretty much the same offense.
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

Kizer is NICE. I came away from my summer tape work really excited abt my pick - Luke Falk Wash St

Quarterback Luke Falk led the Cougars to huge road wins in 2015 and threw for 4580 yards and 38 touchdowns. He demonstrated good accuracy to all parts of the field and his 78.7 adjusted completion percentage ranks No. 1 among all returning FBS quarterbacks. We expect Falk to match or exceed his 2015 numbers and emerge as a top-10 quarterback.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-luke-falk-2016-season-preview-washington-state-cougars/
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's the closest thing to Goff in this upcoming draft, similar build, fast release, throwing accuracy, shows patience in the pocket, Falk also comes out of pretty much the same offense.

This. I've said the same thing in his similarities to Goff. I've got a strong feeling that he's going to be the Wentz of the upcoming draft and rise into the top 10 or 5.
Share 49ersWebzone