LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Robert Nkemdiche-DL-Ole Miss

Oh, no doubt. Both are beasts.
Nkemdiche and Buckner are both very good players. But on sheer Talent, Will, Strength, and Technique Nkemdiche is the better player Right Now. Buckner doesn't have the red flags which helps him alot. But as of today I'd take Nkemdiche easily over Buckner with the 7 if both were there. Just my opinion. I would also not be upset if Buckner was taken by us over Nkemdiche but would think Nkemdiche would have more impact on Game 1.
Originally posted by amosmac28:

I will watch Buckner vs. Stanford though today.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/15/deforest-buckner-shuts-down-joshua-garnett/

Coming into this week's Oregon-Stanford showdown, DeForest Buckner was the highest-graded interior defender in the nation going up against Joshua Garnett, the highest-graded guard in the nation.

Buckner emerges having only enhanced his credentials and extended his lead atop the interior defender rankings, while Garnett has slipped off the top spot in the guard list thanks to their matchup. He was the clear winner when the two went head-to-head early every time. Coming into this game, Garnett has surrendered just two sacks, two hits and three hurries for a total of seven pressures on the season. Buckner beat him for a sack and three hits alone, and demolished him on a bull rush for two of them.

Bull rushes don't produce as much pressure as simply beating a player to the in or outside — because it's a hell of a lot tougher moving a 300-pound blocker all the way to the quarterback than it is just beating him there yourself — but they can lay down a real marker of sheet physical superiority. That's what this game felt like for Buckner who beat Garnett outside twice, but also just drove him back to the quarterback on a couple of occasions.

This is something Garnett simply hasn't experienced much, especially this season. In fact, Buckner is the only player to generate any positive pass-rush against Garnett by bull rushing him this season, and he did it as if it was no big deal. This was Garnett's first negatively-graded game of the season and only the fourth over the last two years.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/11/20/9761662/deforest-buckner-and-the-rise-of-the-strongside-de-Oregon-Ducks

The key to guys like Buckner.

Oregon just brought a base, four-man rush with the OLB on the opposite side of the formation blitzing the edge, but you'll notice that Stanford has their RB also check inside before releasing into a route because every other Duck pass-rusher has a 1-on-1 match-up with the lesser pass protectors across the Stanford OL.

If the Ducks had a great pass-rusher at any of their LB positions it would be child's play for them to work out ways for that player to attack the weakest parts of opposing teams' protections while Buckner tied up the left tackle and possibly another blocker as well. Even without that adjunct Buckner has a chance to finish the year with 10 sacks.

If you have to double-team Armstead and you have to double-team Buckner, at some point you're flat out going to run out of blockers.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Nkemdiche and Buckner are both very good players. But on sheer Talent, Will, Strength, and Technique Nkemdiche is the better player Right Now. Buckner doesn't have the red flags which helps him alot. But as of today I'd take Nkemdiche easily over Buckner with the 7 if both were there. Just my opinion. I would also not be upset if Buckner was taken by us over Nkemdiche but would think Nkemdiche would have more impact on Game 1.

Nkemdiche has the talent but has lacked the production. If there is anything consistent about Nkemdiche, its that he has been incredibly inconsistent. At times he looks completely unblockable, a guy who can beat double teams with ease, on the other hand, most of the time he just tends to vanish, motor dies out, he doesn't play up to his talent. Which guy will he be in the NFL?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 3, 2016 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Nkemdiche has the talent but has lacked the production. If there is anything consistent about Nkemdiche, its that he has been incredibly inconsistent. At times he looks completely unblockable, a guy who can beat double teams with ease, on the other hand, most of the time he just tends to vanish, motor dies out, he doesn't play up to his talent. Which guy will he be in the NFL?

Well if he is drafted by us then he better be his Dominant self. If he is taken by the Ram,SHawks,or Cards he should just be lazy.
The guy has flashed unbelievable talent. He just needs coaches and players to push him to be that guy all the time
Well if he is drafted by us then he better be his Dominant self. If he is taken by the Ram,SHawks,or Cards he should just be lazy.
The guy has flashed unbelievable talent. He just needs coaches and players to push him to be that guy all the time

A guy has to want it, pure and simple. With Nkemdiche, I don't know if he wants it. He looks like he can be absolutely dominant in one series and like a guy who should not be drafted in the next. He is a very tantalizing talent, ridiculously high ceiling but a very big downside as well.

Buckner for example had more sacks this season than Nkemdiche had in his total 3 years at Ole Miss.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 3, 2016 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A guy has to want it, pure and simple. With Nkemdiche, I don't know if he wants it. He looks like he can be absolutely dominant in one series and like a guy who should not be drafted in the next. He is a very tantalizing talent, ridiculously high ceiling but a very big downside as well.

Buckner for example had more sacks this season than Nkemdiche had in his total 3 years at Ole Miss.

Buckner is the safer pick. He will give you consistency. Nkemdiche can give you a grand slam and make you look smart as a GM or he can cost you your job. I would usually say go safe. But this is a year we need home runs.
I don't understand the lack of production as far as sacks go but that doesn't always tell the story.

Those 3 games in 2015 vs. Alabama, Auburn & Michigan State he was either in the backfield or wreaking havoc on multiple o-linemen. He fought through double teams, consistently applied pressure, shooting gaps & penetrating. He made multiple tackles for loss. He looked REALLY good.
[ Edited by amosmac28 on Feb 3, 2016 at 1:09 PM ]
Phoenix...he and a bunch of other DL would be great additions. Fortunately for the Niners, this is an excellent year for quality DL...and we can definitely use some. The sooner our DL gets back toward being dominant, the sooner our defense will turn around. A lot of people talk about pass rushers and I appreciate what they can bring, but until our DL gets significantly robusted up, they'll have minimal impact. Take care of the DL, then add pass rushers to compliment them.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I don't understand the lack of production as far as sacks go but that doesn't always tell the story.

Those 3 games in 2015 vs. Alabama, Auburn & Michigan State he was either in the backfield or wreaking havoc on multiple o-linemen. He fought through double teams, consistently applied pressure, shooting gaps & penetrating. He made multiple tackles for loss. He looked REALLY good.

Nkemdiche had 7 tackles for loss this year.

For comparison:

Deforest Buckner had 17 tackles for loss.

Joey Bosa had 16 tackles for loss.

Shaq Lawson had 24 tackles for loss

Noah Spence had 22 tackles for loss

Would it be crazy if this guy slips to the second round and Spence is there at our # 7 pick or what? I'm not sure if Baalke makes both picks or not. The team seems to be on high alert nowadays with players who have questionable characters. The question is in such a scenario could we afford to pass both guys up?

While both guys have exhibited stupidity at its finest in their past' but both are top 10 and even arguably top 5 talents. It would be a real interesting scenario to say the least.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Nkemdiche had 7 tackles for loss this year.

For comparison:

Deforest Buckner had 17 tackles for loss.

Joey Bosa had 16 tackles for loss.

Shaq Lawson had 24 tackles for loss

Noah Spence had 22 tackles for loss

Trust me I know the stats. I know he doesnt have the stats. But what i see on tape is impressive.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Would it be crazy if this guy slips to the second round and Spence is there at our # 7 pick or what? I'm not sure if Baalke makes both picks or not. The team seems to be on high alert nowadays with players who have questionable characters. The question is in such a scenario could we afford to pass both guys up?

While both guys have exhibited stupidity at its finest in their past' but both are top 10 and even arguably top 5 talents. It would be a real interesting scenario to say the least.

Ill be surprised if he does... but i would love to have him.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Trust me I know the stats. I know he doesnt have the stats. But what i see on tape is impressive.

What he has is size and athletic ability that has yet to really translate to the field.
Originally posted by Jcool:

What he has is size and athletic ability that has yet to really translate to the field.

Sounds like another guy we drafted last year...
Share 49ersWebzone