LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Myles Jack ILB UCLA

Originally posted by BobS:
Who is advising this young man? Obviously underclassman injured linebackers are worth less than the same guy coming back for a productive Senior year. With NFL slotted fixed term rookie contracts he cannot outplay his contract and get it renegotiated. He could be costing himself millions by coming out early.

He gets $5 mil if he's not a 1st round pick. So whether he's a 1st rounder or not, he's going to be alright.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 6, 2015 at 6:05 PM ]
Check out this play with UCL LB Myles Jack. He's at the left of the screen. An O-lineman, #78, tries to block him. Keep in mind, Jack is listed at 225 pounds.

He had a few plays like this as well. Extremely good at the point of attack. I don't like undersized players, but the dude doesn't play small.

If he didn't hurt his knee, could he have been a top-20 pick?
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Dec 20, 2015 at 9:57 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Check out this play with UCL LB Myles Jack. He's at the left of the screen. An O-lineman, #78, tries to block him. Keep in mind, Jack is listed at 225 pounds.

He had a few plays like this as well. Extremely good at the point of attack. I don't like undersized players, but the dude doesn't play small.

If he didn't hurt his knee, could he have been a top-20 pick?

He's still expected to be a top 20 pick even after the injury and he could go top 10. In a 3-4, I'd prefer Jaylon since I think he's a little bigger and more physical. They're pretty similar athletes though.
Smith isn't "bigger" than Jack. Maybe an inch or so taller, but Myles is thicker and stronger.
Can't wait until the combine
Draft Scout has Jack at 6-1+ 245, Smith at 6-2+ 240, so not a lot of difference in size. Myles est 40 time is faster by .1 or so.
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
Draft Scout has Jack at 6-1+ 245, Smith at 6-2+ 240, so not a lot of difference in size. Myles est 40 time is faster by .1 or so.

Huh... I saw Jack listed at 225. Maybe that was out of date.

He's extremely strong though. Wonder how far he'll far due to the meniscus tear.
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
Draft Scout has Jack at 6-1+ 245, Smith at 6-3+ 240, so not a lot of difference in size. Myles est 40 time is faster by .1 or so.

Jaylon Smith's 40 time on draftscout makes no sense. The guy was running 4.4's consistently in high school (hand timed so add 0.1 second) and looks much faster than 4.67 when you watch him play. Jack is not close to 245 in his highlight video from 2014.

Jack is definitely fast, but there's no way he was 245 last season. If he's gained 10-15 pounds since 2014 to get up to 245, I'm not sure he'll be as quick. He looks closer to CJ Procise's size (very similar build) in this video than Derrick Henry's.

Smith has gained a lot of weight since coming to ND, but appears to have maintained his speed. We don't know if Jack has maintained his speed from 2014 especially if he put on a lot of weight since then. If Jaylon Smith is actually a couple inches taller than Jack, I expect he'll weigh as much if not more. One of the criticisms of Jack is that he doesn't play as physically as his weight indicates, but he's incredible in coverage for a linebacker so I wouldn't be mad if we traded back a bit and grabbed him.
Recruiting profiles (from same site) show Smith an inch taller, with Jack being a few pounds heavier .1 faster. Seems consistent.
I'd be interesting to see if Jack's a full combine participant. If my math is correct, the combine is 5 months into his recovery and his rehab is estimated at 4-6 months. He could just hold off until pro day, where he can showcase his movement talent. I suppose that strategy would be a little risky, but he only needs to catch one team's attention and he has that insurance policy.

In draft prep, I'd expect both Smith and Jack to bulk up to the 240s. Assuming Jack's knee is okay, I'd think his acceleration and agility might top Smith's. Their 40s might be about even, though Smith's lankier frame looks like he can better support more weight.

Found this too:
[ Edited by zonkers on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM ]

I watch his highlights he was lined up everywhere. Playing ILB, OLB, RB, CB, and even slot CB.
BEAST!!
Total baller. This Guy is will be one of those playmakers, I just hope it's not for Seattle given his Washington upbringing.
A definite 2round draft crush.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Looked like a beast RB
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
This guy will be Giant, they need a playmaker like Jack on their defense.
Share 49ersWebzone