There are 242 users in the forums

Bronson Kaufusi - BYU - 3-4 Defensive End

BRONSON KAUFUSI - SENIOR

HT: 6'8
WT: 290
POS: 3-4 DE

I have been watching the BYU games because they are an exciting team to watch. The guy who really jumps off the screen to me Bronson Kaufusi. He is massive. He is fast. He makes plays all over the field. I think his tape is better than Armsteads and he has about the same size. I know we have a ton of defensive lineman on the 49ers roster but if we can grab this guy in the 2nd or 3rd round in next years draft I would not be mad.
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Sep 16, 2015 at 6:17 PM ]
He is nowhere near 290, I'm guessing he's about 255-260. Nor would I say that he's a better talent than Armstead or close. He's a little bit up there in years due to having gone on mission.

On the upside, I think he's a pretty solid DE prospect for a 4-3, possibly a 3-4 OLB if he can answer questions about his lateral movement and agility. He is fairly athletic, smart kid, shows good awareness out on the field, good motor and has very good length but there's definitely some doubt about him. He's one of those guys who is a really good college player but needs to prove that he has a position to play in the pro's. I see him as a 4th or 5th rounder currently.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He is nowhere near 290, I'm guessing he's about 255-260. Nor would I say that he's a better talent than Armstead or close. He's a little bit up there in years due to having gone on mission.

On the upside, I think he's a pretty solid DE prospect for a 4-3, possibly a 3-4 OLB if he can answer questions about his lateral movement and agility. He is fairly athletic, smart kid, shows good awareness out on the field, good motor and has very good length but there's definitely some doubt about him. He's one of those guys who is a really good college player but needs to prove that he has a position to play in the pro's. I see him as a 4th or 5th rounder currently.

He is easily 280+. Not only does he look it but his profiles on byu websites but he played basketball for byu and that profile on espn has him at 280.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
He is easily 280+. Not only does he look it but his profiles on byu websites but he played basketball for byu and that profile on espn has him at 280.

That profile is from years ago. Last year when he played a lot of LB he was in the 250's, this year he supposedly put on 10-15 more pounds to play more DE.

From August of this year.

"Bronson Kaufusi weighed about 280 pounds when the 2013 season ended, and he went on a strict diet to get to about 255 so he could play linebacker in 2014. He said he's back up to 270 now, which is about ideal.

"It is always difficult to change weight, but it is worth it?" Kaufusi said. "My body responds pretty well when I go up and down. Right now, I am right around 270. That's where I want to be — right in there."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 16, 2015 at 3:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

That profile is from years ago. Last year when he played a lot of LB he was in the 250's, this year he supposedly put on 10-15 more pounds to play more DE.

From August of this year.

"Bronson Kaufusi weighed about 280 pounds when the 2013 season ended, and he went on a strict diet to get to about 255 so he could play linebacker in 2014. He said he's back up to 270 now, which is about ideal.

"It is always difficult to change weight, but it is worth it?" Kaufusi said. "My body responds pretty well when I go up and down. Right now, I am right around 270. That's where I want to be — right in there."

even if he put on another 10 pounds and played at 280 he could be a great DE for nickel situations. and like you said if we could get him in the 4th or 5th I think that would be a great deal.
He needs to add some bulk to occupy blockers in the 3-4 and he I dont think he is fast enough to be a standup OLB.

Im interested to see how much he benches at the combine.
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
He needs to add some bulk to occupy blockers in the 3-4 and he I dont think he is fast enough to be a standup OLB.

Im interested to see how much he benches at the combine.
His frame does not look like as if he can add more bulk.
Played center for the Y...dudes athletic

You'd have to be real strong playing center at 6'8
I like this guy and Nassib as project DEs in the 2nd/3rd. If they don't land a FA at DE or with their first pick, then I'd want them to look hard at these two

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think he's a 4-3 DE, tall and lanky but not much standing up, he's also too light to be a 3-4 DE I don't buy it that he's 290 pounds.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think he's a 4-3 DE, tall and lanky but not much standing up, he's also too light to be a 3-4 DE I don't buy it that he's 290 pounds.

Weighed 281 yesterday at the senior bowl. I don't doubt he can add more weight to get up there
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by saniner:

Weighed 281 yesterday at the senior bowl. I don't doubt he can add more weight to get up there

I still don't buy it that Kaufusi would be a 3-4 DE, I just think that's not his game.
Originally posted by saniner:

I still don't buy it that Kaufusi would be a 3-4 DE, I just think that's not his game.

That's fair. Any of those taller guys hovering around 270-280 will get that. Bosa, Nassib, Oakman, and Kaufasi are all sort of position-less right now. 4-3 DE makes sense for all of them, but I like the idea of them making a successful transition
I think he needs to shed 10 to 15 pounds and play OLB for us. Reminds me of Aaron Lynch. The two would be bookends for years to come! Remember Aaron Lynch played inside on the DL at Notre Dome with his length. They have similiar movement skills and body type.
[ Edited by CountryNiner on Jan 27, 2016 at 7:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone