LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

The #SuckForGoff Watch

Originally posted by Kolohe:
No offense, but where was this list a few years ago, anyone could say that now......just sayin.

It was on hoopla, where I used to post (those guys are now on realGM mostly).

I still get crap for predicting Matt Ryan as a bust (even though I think he's the most overrated QB in the league), and I did really like Chad Henne; but overall I think I've been pretty accurate. I've been debating this stuff w/ these guys since Chad Pennington & Gio Caramazzi.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
And by the way, to be completely fair and transparent, here were my takes on the first-round QBs of recent memory:

Winston: bust
Mariota: Kaepernick 2.0 (so average to below average).
Bortles: bust
Manziel: bust
Bridgewater: Below average
Manuel (liked him as a late-round propect (backup material), but hated him as a first rounder. Below average).
Luck: loved. Duh.
RGIII: said would be below average.
Tannehill: liked a little bit. Didn't love.
Weeden: bust
Newton: bust (and he's a worse QB than Kaepernick, so I say I was right).
Locker: liked his potential. Thought he could be good with the right coaching.
Gabbert: bust
Ponder: Thought he was 5th-round material like Manuel.
Badford: called him Bustford.
Tebow: super bust.
Stafford: Liked a little less than Tannehill
Sanchez: liked about as much as Cutler (who I thought was a pretty good prospect & far better than Young & Leinart).
Freeman: bust
Jamarcus: bust
Ryan: bust (was wrong on that one).
Flacco: liked about as much as Tannehill.

...Anyway, I think that's a pretty good track record. You may disagree.

No offense, but where was this list a few years ago, anyone could say that now......just sayin.

Glad someone else was thinking this too
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
And by the way, to be completely fair and transparent, here were my takes on the first-round QBs of recent memory:

Winston: bust
Mariota: Kaepernick 2.0 (so average to below average).
Bortles: bust
Manziel: bust
Bridgewater: Below average
Manuel (liked him as a late-round propect (backup material), but hated him as a first rounder. Below average).
Luck: loved. Duh.
RGIII: said would be below average.
Tannehill: liked a little bit. Didn't love.
Weeden: bust
Newton: bust (and he's a worse QB than Kaepernick, so I say I was right).
Locker: liked his potential. Thought he could be good with the right coaching.
Gabbert: bust
Ponder: Thought he was 5th-round material like Manuel.
Badford: called him Bustford.
Tebow: super bust.
Stafford: Liked a little less than Tannehill
Sanchez: liked about as much as Cutler (who I thought was a pretty good prospect & far better than Young & Leinart).
Freeman: bust
Jamarcus: bust
Ryan: bust (was wrong on that one).
Flacco: liked about as much as Tannehill.

...Anyway, I think that's a pretty good track record. You may disagree.

Glad someone else was thinking this too

This plus the Kessler "analysis"
And for the record I'm not saying sickness is lying, just saying all those claims don't really mean anything to me.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
And for the record I'm not saying sickness is lying, just saying all those claims don't really mean anything to me.

Ok, well I've been making a first-round- bust pick every year since 1998 and posting them annually. Anyone is free to go on Hoopla or realgm and ask them if I'm lying if they want to. It would be really easy to prove me a liar if I were. For the record my busts picks have been:

98: Curtis Enis
99: Akili Smith
2000: Rashard Anderson
2001: Damoine Lewis
2002: Lito Sheppard
2003: Rex Grossman
2004: Chris Perry
2005: Braylon Edwards
2006: Vince Young
2007: Jamal Anderson
2008: Matt Ryan
2009: Percy Harvin
2010: Timmy! (easiest bust pick of all time)
2011: Cam Newton
2012: Michael Brockers
2013: Kenny Vaccaro
2014: Johnny Manziel
2015: Jamies Winston
Originally posted by Geeked:

This plus the Kessler "analysis"

Kind of a weak move to criticize someone else's analysis without stating your own. Or at least a prediction of how good he'll be / how high or low he'll be drafted.

At least I put my stuff out there and never change my story.

Come on Nostradamus. Enlighten us with a prediction.

EDIT: ...Oh wait, I think I've figured It out. You're a USC fan right? Hard to be objective about your own guy I guess (I don't know why; I was always objective about Kaepernick).
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Sep 12, 2015 at 9:50 PM ]
Kind of a weak move to criticize someone else's analysis without stating your own. Or at least a prediction of how good he'll be / how high or low he'll be drafted.

At least I put my stuff out there and never change my story.

Come on Nostradamus. Enlighten us with a prediction.

EDIT: ...Oh wait, I think I've figured It out. You're a USC fan right? Hard to be objective about your own guy I guess (I don't know why; I was always objective about Kaepernick).

The joke is that you aren't providing much in the way of analysis. You're just saying "bust" without offering any reasoning.
Matt Ryan and Cam Newton are top 12 QB's. Ryan had no line or running game and no defense and Cam has literally nothing around him on offense (Greg Olsen, but he was mediocre in Chicago so I attribute a lot of his success to Newton and the lack of other options in Carolina).

I'd take Newton over Russell Wilson who I also think is a top 10 QB. Calling him a bust is laughable when he puts up decent numbers and wins games with no help. He struggled a bit late last season because he was playing hurt after getting hit all the time. Put him in a good offense and he'd look like an elite QB.

Like others, I'm a little skeptical about your list of QB evaluations. Most of us, including myself, tend to have selective memories when it comes to past predictions.

You liked/loved 6 players and 4 of them turned out pretty good (not Sanchez/Locker). I'm skeptical about you liking Tannehill though given some of your other predictions. It wouldn't shock me if you revised up your prediction of Tannehill and revised down your prediction of some of the other QB's who didn't pan out.

On topic, I still haven't given up on Kaepernick and think we need to address our O Line before bringing in a rookie QB.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
The joke is that you aren't providing much in the way of analysis. You're just saying "bust" without offering any reasoning.

How can you know that when you didn't even read my post? He's referring to another thread. I mentioned arm strength, delivery, turning his head really far to see the field...

And I didn't say Kessler would be be a bust; I just said I didn't see him as an NFL starter. You can't be a bust until you're drafted. If an UDFA QB doesn't work out he's not a bust; he just wasn't that good. If Winston isn't good, he's a bust.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Sep 13, 2015 at 1:36 PM ]
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Matt Ryan and Cam Newton are top 12 QB's. Ryan had no line or running game and no defense and Cam has literally nothing around him on offense (Greg Olsen, but he was mediocre in Chicago so I attribute a lot of his success to Newton and the lack of other options in Carolina).

I'd take Newton over Russell Wilson who I also think is a top 10 QB. Calling him a bust is laughable when he puts up decent numbers and wins games with no help. He struggled a bit late last season because he was playing hurt after getting hit all the time. Put him in a good offense and he'd look like an elite QB.

Like others, I'm a little skeptical about your list of QB evaluations. Most of us, including myself, tend to have selective memories when it comes to past predictions.

You liked/loved 6 players and 4 of them turned out pretty good (not Sanchez/Locker). I'm skeptical about you liking Tannehill though given some of your other predictions. It wouldn't shock me if you revised up your prediction of Tannehill and revised down your prediction of some of the other QB's who didn't pan out.

On topic, I still haven't given up on Kaepernick and think we need to address our O Line before bringing in a rookie QB.

Cam Newton is not a top-12 QB. He's worse than Kaepernick, who's been average if you're being nice about it.

And I never said I was right on every single first-round bust pick I've made. I was wrong about Brockers, Lito Shepard, Percy Harvin (kind of), and you could make a case I was wrong about Braylon Edwards (although 1 good year doesn't justify the 3rd pick of the draft, so I say I was right). But I was definitely right about the others except possibly Winston, who hasn't had a chance to do anything yet.

And I didn't "like" Locker; I actually thought he was extremely raw. But I thought he could develop into a god QB with time. Injuries ruined his career like Chad Pennington, so I don't think we got a fair chance to see what he could be.

And all I can say about Tannehill is that I'm telling the truth about liking him a little bit. I didn't love him as a prospect, but I liked him a little. I would've been mildly happy to see him as a 49er on draft day. If you don't believe me, I suppose I could get others to vouch for me if you really, really, really don't believe me. Lying about football predictions would be a pretty pathetic way to get anonymous cred'.

P.S. Matt Ryan has had one of the best supporting casts around him of all time over his career. He rivals Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner and Steve Young in that department.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Sep 13, 2015 at 1:47 PM ]

I didn't get to watch much of the game vs SDSU but in what I was able to watch and then review Goff had another really good game. The INT in this one was all on him though (can't find video of it).

Highlights

Knocks on his arm strength are highlighted at 21 seconds when an under thrown ball probably keeps the WR from running for a TD. Much better throw at 1:05 (and great job selling the pump fake to the short side) although if you nitpick the throw is still a bit behind.

There were other several nice throws in this game

http://gfycat.com/ConcreteInsidiousAuk

really looking forward to this road game at Texas on national TV. Should be a good test.
[ Edited by vrabbit on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM ]
Goff's passes look just a little bit tighter & faster than last year IMO. Next week will be a huge test when Cal travels to play UT. It's one thing to do it against SDSU, but UT will be much tougher.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:29 PM ]
You know, you don't really have to bold player's names. You ESPECIALLY don't need to bold Goff's name in the Goff thread lol
for those of you sitting there like "I don't really know anything about Goff" this is an OUTSTANDING (also lengthy) read.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25297136/how-cals-jared-goff-became-nations-top-nfl-quarterback-prospect

I'll add this link to the OP as well.
Share 49ersWebzone