LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

The #SuckForGoff Watch

Goof was solid in a half yesterday vs FCS Grambling State. Couple of dimes, 3 TD's to Kenny Lawler who may become a WR prospect to watch for and a pick that needs to have an asterisk because he hit Bryce Treggs on the numbers but it went through he his hands (wasn't a Kap-rocket) and to a defender. His O-line gives up too much pressure/hits though but at least it's not Hackenberg bad.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Goof was solid in a half yesterday vs FCS Grambling State. Couple of dimes, 3 TD's to Kenny Lawler who may become a WR prospect to watch for and a pick that needs to have an asterisk because he hit Bryce Treggs on the numbers but it went through he his hands (wasn't a Kap-rocket) and to a defender. His O-line gives up too much pressure/hits though but at least it's not Hackenberg bad.

Was that a typo or a jab?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
This seems like a down year for QB prospects. That could change as who saw Cam Newton as a #1 overall pick or RGIII as a top 3 player.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Was that a typo or a jab?

Lol typo. GOFF.
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Vrabbit I'm a Cal fan and agree with your assessment. Our offense is extremely QB friendly but he makes the best of it. Consistently makes NFL throws. He's skinny but look at guys like Brady, Cousins, or even Kap who have filled out since their days in college.

The one thing that makes me nervous is a rainy game from his freshman season. I remember the ball slipping out of his hand 4 or 5 times. Can't remember who we were playing. Correctable, no doubt. Just kind of scared me.
If Goff's arm strength doesn't improve vastly this season, I wouldn't even touch him in the first 2 rounds. Right now, he looks like Alex Smith.
And by the way, to be completely fair and transparent, here were my takes on the first-round QBs of recent memory:

Winston: bust
Mariota: Kaepernick 2.0 (so average to below average).
Bortles: bust
Manziel: bust
Bridgewater: Below average
Manuel (liked him as a late-round propect (backup material), but hated him as a first rounder. Below average).
Luck: loved. Duh.
RGIII: said would be below average.
Tannehill: liked a little bit. Didn't love.
Weeden: bust
Newton: bust (and he's a worse QB than Kaepernick, so I say I was right).
Locker: liked his potential. Thought he could be good with the right coaching.
Gabbert: bust
Ponder: Thought he was 5th-round material like Manuel.
Badford: called him Bustford.
Tebow: super bust.
Stafford: Liked a little less than Tannehill
Sanchez: liked about as much as Cutler (who I thought was a pretty good prospect & far better than Young & Leinart).
Freeman: bust
Jamarcus: bust
Ryan: bust (was wrong on that one).
Flacco: liked about as much as Tannehill.

...Anyway, I think that's a pretty good track record. You may disagree.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Sep 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Homer:
Vrabbit I'm a Cal fan and agree with your assessment. Our offense is extremely QB friendly but he makes the best of it. Consistently makes NFL throws. He's skinny but look at guys like Brady, Cousins, or even Kap who have filled out since their days in college.

The one thing that makes me nervous is a rainy game from his freshman season. I remember the ball slipping out of his hand 4 or 5 times. Can't remember who we were playing. Correctable, no doubt. Just kind of scared me.
Ten to fifteen percent of those throws transfer to the NFL. I'm finding it amusing people feel otherwise.
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Temecula49ersfan:
Ten to fifteen percent of those throws transfer to the NFL. I'm finding it amusing people feel otherwise.

He's had over 1000 attempts so far, so even if your numbers are right that's still a decent sample size.
And so did Tim Couch... how did that work out?

I love the kid and the offense but how many snaps has he taken under center? That offense doesn't require you to read defenses. Seems like a high priced project if he is taken in round 1 or the first half of round 2.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
fales > goff
Suck for Goff isn't catchy enough....How about Horid for Jared..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
And by the way, to be completely fair and transparent, here were my takes on the first-round QBs of recent memory:

Winston: bust
Mariota: Kaepernick 2.0 (so average to below average).
Bortles: bust
Manziel: bust
Bridgewater: Below average
Manuel (liked him as a late-round propect (backup material), but hated him as a first rounder. Below average).
Luck: loved. Duh.
RGIII: said would be below average.
Tannehill: liked a little bit. Didn't love.
Weeden: bust
Newton: bust (and he's a worse QB than Kaepernick, so I say I was right).
Locker: liked his potential. Thought he could be good with the right coaching.
Gabbert: bust
Ponder: Thought he was 5th-round material like Manuel.
Badford: called him Bustford.
Tebow: super bust.
Stafford: Liked a little less than Tannehill
Sanchez: liked about as much as Cutler (who I thought was a pretty good prospect & far better than Young & Leinart).
Freeman: bust
Jamarcus: bust
Ryan: bust (was wrong on that one).
Flacco: liked about as much as Tannehill.

...Anyway, I think that's a pretty good track record. You may disagree.

No offense, but where was this list a few years ago, anyone could say that now......just sayin.
I'm pretty impressed by that USC game last year. Goff was constantly under pressure and the Trojan D kept his receivers contained for most of the game. Still he kept fighting and almost led a comeback. His arm strength is pretty average and he misses some throws. However he seems to have good pocket presence and can make quick decisions. He reminds be a little bit of Brady, but a better comparison might be a less timid Alex Smith. He's looking like a guy who should go around the 3rd from what I've seen.
Share 49ersWebzone