LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 309 users in the forums

Connor Cook watch

Originally posted by okdkid:
Webzone logic: Blast Connor Cook in first ever start against #1 D, say Jared Goff just needs more time.

Yea i'm lost on this one and I'm not a fan of Cook at all. But dam folks talking like his career is over. I just don't get it.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Webzone logic: Blast Connor Cook in first ever start against #1 D, say Jared Goff just needs more time.

Yea i'm lost on this one and I'm not a fan of Cook at all. But dam folks talking like his career is over. I just don't get it.

I'm not a fan of either QB. I think both QBs were mediocre prospects. But at least Connor Cook was drafted in the appropriate round. Goff needed to be taken around the same area. But it's always funny to see different logic applied to different QBs in the same draft class. The only reason Goff gets the "he just needs time" excuse around here is because people pounded the table so hard for him. They have emotional investment in him. He couldn't win in college, and he can't win now.
I'm not a fan of either QB. I think both QBs were mediocre prospects. But at least Connor Cook was drafted in the appropriate round. Goff needed to be taken around the same area. But it's always funny to see different logic applied to different QBs in the same draft class. The only reason Goff gets the "he just needs time" excuse around here is because people pounded the table so hard for him. They have emotional investment in him. He couldn't win in college, and he can't win now.

Goff is much much better than Cook IMO. Goff's issue is the system he was in during college AND the fact that Ram's staff had zero guys in there that could develop a QB. Cook was in a pro-style offense in college for 4 yrs and still can't run a offense

I have no emotional attachment what so ever, obviously I live in NY so I could careless that he went to Cal or liked the 49ers. He's got the tool to be a good QB but that Ram's OL, coaching staff, and WRs core was a joke. You could say the exact opposite about the Raiders in that regard.

Right now like you said they both blow but I'll take Goff any day
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Goff is much much better than Cook IMO. Goff's issue is the system he was in during college AND the fact that Ram's staff had zero guys in there that could develop a QB. Cook was in a pro-style offense in college for 4 yrs and still can't run a offense

I have no emotional attachment what so ever, obviously I live in NY so I could careless that he went to Cal or liked the 49ers. He's got the tool to be a good QB but that Ram's OL, coaching staff, and WRs core was a joke. You could say the exact opposite about the Raiders in that regard.

Right now like you said they both blow but I'll take Goff any day

That's the problem with Goff. It's always somebody else's fault. They said he had not talent around him in college... then several of his offensive teammates get on NFL squads. Now it's that his NFL coaching staff sucks. Well, that just got changed out. Next year it'll be that he has had too many coaches. It's always something. The only constant is that this dude has never won against top flight competition. Not once.

Like I said I don't think Cook is a good QB either. But at least he was drafted appropriately -- and, oddly enough, he delivered Jared Goff-like results.
That's the problem with Goff. It's always somebody else's fault. They said he had not talent around him in college... then several of his offensive teammates get on NFL squads. Now it's that his NFL coaching staff sucks. Well, that just got changed out. Next year it'll be that he has had too many coaches. It's always something. The only constant is that this dude has never won against top flight competition. Not once.

Like I said I don't think Cook is a good QB either. But at least he was drafted appropriately -- and, oddly enough, he delivered Jared Goff-like results.

I get it, you feel like it's always been blaming someone else other than him (sounds like Bradford lol). BUT the truth is he has had trash around him in college that OL was f**king awful, what skilled player is making a name for himself from Cali when he was there?

Truth is Jeff Fisher has produced s**t at he QB position outside of McNair his whole coaching career lol, Chris Weinke is the QB coach what the hell has he done to help a QB? His last gig was director of football at IMG Academy before going to the Rams lol. Rob Boras was the OC dude couldn't scheme his way out of a wet paper bag (go look at his past jobs it's a joke).

Put a bunch of s**t around someone that is totally new to the NFL with no real understanding of pro-schemes and s**t will be the product...he didn't even have a chance with that staff, one of the worst OLs in the league, and no skilled players worth a damn.

Cook had 4 yrs in a real offense, and came onto a team flush with talent and great coaches and looked like a pile of dog crap. I mean it's really not worth talking about cause it doesn't affect us but still lol.

This. Neither QB were ready to start this year but one QB went 99 picks later while the other QB went #1 overall after a team traded their immediate future away for him. For a team to trade that much, it isn't unfair to expect to see SOMETHING, even in their rookie season. He had a chance to show at least a little of why he was selected #1 overall when he played the worst defense in the league late in the season. He didn't show me s**t. A defense that allowed over 30 a game and this guy couldn't show anything?!? Wentz showed stuff multiple times throughout the year and he was very raw as well. Dak looked great all season albeit in a better situation than all of the rookies. Goff got a chance to sit for half a season, which is more than most 1st round QBs get nowadays, and still looked completely lost, talentless and overwhelmed, even vs the worst defense in the league But yeah, "just give him time" while Cook is trash and should have never been drafted lol okay
Originally posted by Jasta:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Cook sounds like the 2nd coming of Ryan Leaf.

Yeah because the expectations of a QB picked 2nd overall and one picked 100th overall are totally comparable.

No not that!

His personality is what I meant.
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
This. Neither QB were ready to start this year but one QB went 99 picks later while the other QB went #1 overall after a team traded their immediate future away for him. For a team to trade that much, it isn't unfair to expect to see SOMETHING, even in their rookie season. He had a chance to show at least a little of why he was selected #1 overall when he played the worst defense in the league late in the season. He didn't show me s**t. A defense that allowed over 30 a game and this guy couldn't show anything?!? Wentz showed stuff multiple times throughout the year and he was very raw as well. Dak looked great all season albeit in a better situation than all of the rookies. Goff got a chance to sit for half a season, which is more than most 1st round QBs get nowadays, and still looked completely lost, talentless and overwhelmed, even vs the worst defense in the league But yeah, "just give him time" while Cook is trash and should have never been drafted lol okay

Go look at that Rams team and coaching staff, you think wentz or Dak would be rolling lol? Fisher and his Goof Troop of a coaching staff had no clue how to develop a QB. That OL was one of the worst lines in the league and helped Gurely avg 55 yards a game and 3.2 ypc lol.

Cook had a offense flush with talent and a top 5 WRs, OL & coaching staff and couldnt even complete the easiest of passes lol.

I'd bet money Goff would have performed much better than Cook if he was the Oakland QB this past weekend.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I agree I thought this whole class was kinda crappy. I didn't expect much from Dak. And I thought Goff and Wentz were both going to struggle. Didnt really see much difference between Cook and Goff. I was wrong on Dak and Wentz. But Goff I'm not holding out hopes that he's gonna get it. Though I do agree wiht NY that working under Fisher isn't a recipe for success for any qb not named McNair
Cook never had a college season above 59% pct.
Only one NFL starter has a college career without at least one season above 60%.
That QB is Tyrod Taylor.

Cook's chances of being a starter in NFL are 3% or virtually none

Go look at that Rams team and coaching staff, you think wentz or Dak would be rolling lol? Fisher and his Goof Troop of a coaching staff had no clue how to develop a QB. That OL was one of the worst lines in the league and helped Gurely avg 55 yards a game and 3.2 ypc lol.

Cook had a offense flush with talent and a top 5 WRs, OL & coaching staff and couldnt even complete the easiest of passes lol.

I'd bet money Goff would have performed much better than Cook if he was the Oakland QB this past weekend.

He couldn't even outperform Case Keemun dude won zero games despite having a decent defense and lost to the talentless 49ers...he couldn't do s**t vs the worst defense in the league! We were handing out TDs all season long and this dude faces us at home 16 weeks into the season, 7 games into his career and looked that bad??? 45% for 90 yards and 2 INTs??? Gross
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Jan 9, 2017 at 5:38 PM ]
He couldn't even outperform Case Keemun dude won zero games despite having a decent defense and lost to the talentless 49ers...he couldn't do s**t vs the worst defense in the league! We were handing out TDs all season long and this dude faces us at home 16 weeks into the season, 7 games into his career and looked that bad??? 45% for 90 yards and 2 INTs??? Gross

Again different teams Oakland flush with talent the rams bottom of the league...Cook was also the :rd string and the only reason he played is because matt mcgloin was hurt most of the week.

18 for 45 with 160 yards 1 TD and 3 INTs (should have been more) f**king awful.

I'm not trying to stick up for goff he's got work to do but was put in a horrible position, Cook was put in a spot to play much better but he played awful...which didn't surprise me because he's not good.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 9, 2017 at 5:55 PM ]

Again different teams Oakland flush with talent the rams bottom of the league...Cook was also the :rd string and the only reason he played is because matt mcgloin was hurt most of the week.

18 for 45 with 160 yards 1 TD and 3 INTs (should have been more) f**king awful.

I'm not trying to stick up for goff he's got work to do but was put in a horrible position, Cook was put in a spot to play much better but he played awful...which didn't surprise me because he's not good.

Cook completed 66% of his passes vs Denver. Had a Murphy's Law game vs Houston. Didn't help that Crabs was dropping some of Cook's better throws. Cooper too. Outside of that, he played horrible. Goff played horrible all season and again, was the #1 overall pick. Case Keenum helped win 3 straight games. Goff couldn't even look decent vs the worst defense he will probably ever face
Cook completed 66% of his passes vs Denver. Had a Murphy's Law game vs Houston. Didn't help that Crabs was dropping some of Cook's better throws. Cooper too. Outside of that, he played horrible. Goff played horrible all season and again, was the #1 overall pick. Case Keenum helped win 3 straight games. Goff couldn't even look decent vs the worst defense he will probably ever face

Dude cook blows and until he shows he can actually play there nothing to talk about...I'm guessing and Oakland fans are hoping they won't have to find out anytime soon.

Goff would play better in Oakland then cook did without question. We will see who has the better career cause end of the day that's all that matters, just glad SF didn't draft either

Dude cook blows and until he shows he can actually play there nothing to talk about...I'm guessing and Oakland fans are hoping they won't have to find out anytime soon.

Goff would play better in Oakland then cook did without question. We will see who has the better career cause end of the day that's all that matters, just glad SF didn't draft either

Definitely glad we didn't take either and glad the Rams took Goff so we can beat up on his sorry ass for years to come
Share 49ersWebzone