LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Connor Cook watch

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Not sure why they took him when they have Carr. Should of taken someone later.

Who do the Raiders have behind Carr??

Carr's fingers/ hand is sus. I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices that Dave gets a hand injury every month, ....man.
But even though Cook has the talent to contribute in the NFL, sources made it clear why he slid so far in the draft. Teams view Cook as arrogant, a player whose personality flaws could be an issue in a locker room full of alpha males. In the NFL, any ego that doesn't fit can be problematic, especially at quarterback.

While many players fall because of an isolated incident, there was no such issue with Cook, but teams questioned his behavior — off the field and toward teammates.

Cook not being a captain as a senior was an obvious red flag, but considering the undeniable leadership of center Jack Allen, that might've been an issue teams could overlook. Instead, as teams questioned Cook's leadership, they found other reasons to lower his stock.

"His teammates haven't spoken well of him through the draft process," one high-ranking NFC scout said. "Just not a leader and doesn't have top QB intangibles."

As much as Cook contributed to Michigan State's impressive 36-5 record the past three years, teams also had doubts about his accuracy, particularly on short passes.

Of the 14 quarterbacks drafted this year, only one had a lower completion percentage than Cook's 56.1 percent – Penn State's Christian Hackenberg at 53.5 percent. And unlike Hackenberg, two of Cook's offensive linemen were drafted, Jack Conklin in the first round and Donavon Clark in the seventh.

One NFL agent described Cook as having Kobe Bryant's cockiness without the skills to match. Skipping the Senior Bowl and acting as if he had already earned the right to be a highly-selected quarterback during the pre-draft process rubbed many NFL people the wrong way.

"Have you ever met someone who looks you up and down just to dismiss you? That's Cook," the agent said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/spartans/2016/04/30/personality-issues-caused-connor-cooks-fall-draft/83773076/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/04/30/connor-cook-nfl-draft-michigan-state-spartans/83740594/

Here's the reality: The questions about Cook's intangibles – personality, leadership, maturity, whatever – have existed for a while and they are widespread. They just got louder once Cook's teammates didn't elect him a team captain last fall. I know, because I heard the same thing last summer that I heard this spring.

Cook could have helped himself with at least some teams by walking into pre-draft interviews and saying, "You're right, I wasn't a captain. But you know what? I go out and win games. If that's not leadership, everyone can go screw themselves."

At least that would've come across as authentic. Instead, Cook reverted to his cue cards, rattled off his resume, said he really was a leader. Right or wrong, many people walked away thinking there was something missing, something off, something they didn't trust about him, etc.

If you still believe this was a giant conspiracy by the media and/or NFL teams to hurt his draft stock, take off your Spartans hoodie and explain how Cook – notwithstanding on-field concerns, such as his accuracy and command of the football – isn't taken before North Carolina State's Jacoby Brissett, USC's Cody Kessler, even Penn State's Christian Hackenberg.

This has to be a humbling experience for Cook, and maybe he can use that. I'll repeat something else I wrote the first time: Nobody says he's a bad kid. But the quarterback position is unique and so is the way teams scrutinize the makeup of anybody who wants to play it.

Cook can play. We've seen him do it, in a pro-style offense even. But his chances for getting to show it in the NFL anytime soon – and start proving people wrong, as he's surely motivated to do now – may depend on his willingness to stop laughing, start listening and figure out if there are some things he can do better.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
But even though Cook has the talent to contribute in the NFL, sources made it clear why he slid so far in the draft. Teams view Cook as arrogant, a player whose personality flaws could be an issue in a locker room full of alpha males. In the NFL, any ego that doesn't fit can be problematic, especially at quarterback.

While many players fall because of an isolated incident, there was no such issue with Cook, but teams questioned his behavior — off the field and toward teammates.

Cook not being a captain as a senior was an obvious red flag, but considering the undeniable leadership of center Jack Allen, that might've been an issue teams could overlook. Instead, as teams questioned Cook's leadership, they found other reasons to lower his stock.

"His teammates haven't spoken well of him through the draft process," one high-ranking NFC scout said. "Just not a leader and doesn't have top QB intangibles."

As much as Cook contributed to Michigan State's impressive 36-5 record the past three years, teams also had doubts about his accuracy, particularly on short passes.

Of the 14 quarterbacks drafted this year, only one had a lower completion percentage than Cook's 56.1 percent – Penn State's Christian Hackenberg at 53.5 percent. And unlike Hackenberg, two of Cook's offensive linemen were drafted, Jack Conklin in the first round and Donavon Clark in the seventh.

One NFL agent described Cook as having Kobe Bryant's cockiness without the skills to match. Skipping the Senior Bowl and acting as if he had already earned the right to be a highly-selected quarterback during the pre-draft process rubbed many NFL people the wrong way.

"Have you ever met someone who looks you up and down just to dismiss you? That's Cook," the agent said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/spartans/2016/04/30/personality-issues-caused-connor-cooks-fall-draft/83773076/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/04/30/connor-cook-nfl-draft-michigan-state-spartans/83740594/

Here's the reality: The questions about Cook's intangibles – personality, leadership, maturity, whatever – have existed for a while and they are widespread. They just got louder once Cook's teammates didn't elect him a team captain last fall. I know, because I heard the same thing last summer that I heard this spring.

Cook could have helped himself with at least some teams by walking into pre-draft interviews and saying, "You're right, I wasn't a captain. But you know what? I go out and win games. If that's not leadership, everyone can go screw themselves."

At least that would've come across as authentic. Instead, Cook reverted to his cue cards, rattled off his resume, said he really was a leader. Right or wrong, many people walked away thinking there was something missing, something off, something they didn't trust about him, etc.

If you still believe this was a giant conspiracy by the media and/or NFL teams to hurt his draft stock, take off your Spartans hoodie and explain how Cook – notwithstanding on-field concerns, such as his accuracy and command of the football – isn't taken before North Carolina State's Jacoby Brissett, USC's Cody Kessler, even Penn State's Christian Hackenberg.

This has to be a humbling experience for Cook, and maybe he can use that. I'll repeat something else I wrote the first time: Nobody says he's a bad kid. But the quarterback position is unique and so is the way teams scrutinize the makeup of anybody who wants to play it.

Cook can play. We've seen him do it, in a pro-style offense even. But his chances for getting to show it in the NFL anytime soon – and start proving people wrong, as he's surely motivated to do now – may depend on his willingness to stop laughing, start listening and figure out if there are some things he can do better.

Despite everything else that happened in the draft, the fact Baalke and Co passed up Cook time and time again gives me great hope that this organization knows what they are doing. Watching this guy talk to Gruden, you could tell how self-absorbed he is. Bad personality for a team trying to find it's identity. At least a guy like Kap has shouldered blame when things have gone wrong in the past. Guys that play the denial game and never own up to their faults are toxic leaders and incapable of evolving. I think it's funny that our team gave this kid every chance to prove his worth in the pre-draft process, he even proclaimed how high we were on him, but he probably just took a shovel and buried his own grave. Wise people know a narcissist when they see one, and run.
Starting the Raiders playoff game
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:

How did he look today? I didn't get to watch...
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

How did he look today? I didn't get to watch...

Not bad but obviously a rookie. Finished 14/21 for 150 with a TD and INT
"Suck so hard mother#$#!$s wanna bench me!"

Dude has been absolutely brutal today.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"Suck so hard mother#$#!$s wanna bench me!"

Dude has been absolutely brutal today.

Yep. He's clearly not ready to start at this point (which is what I said about him last year; he needed at least a year to sit).

Let's see if he can surprise everyone in the 2nd half...
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jan 7, 2017 at 3:11 PM ]
Lol I think most of us saw this one coming from many miles away.

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Yep. He's clearly not ready to start at this point (which is what I said about him last year; he needed at least a year to sit).

This. And vs the #1 defense on the road at that
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

This. And vs the #1 defense on the road at that

Doesn't help that they have a backup LT trying to block a rejuvinated monster in Jadaveon Clowney (now that he's healthy).
lol and the raiders traded up for this guy.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Webzone logic: Blast Connor Cook in first ever start against #1 D, say Jared Goff just needs more time.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Webzone logic: Blast Connor Cook in first ever start against #1 D, say Jared Goff just needs more time.

Lol a 4th round pick playing vs the best defense in the league on the road compared to the #1 overall pick who looked like s**t even vs the worst defense in the league at home
Share 49ersWebzone