LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Connor Cook watch

Figures that the 49ers would have a down year right before a craptastic draft for QB's. I could get with drafting Goff but he's not a guy you throw out there as a starter right off the bat, he'd best off sitting for a season or two and its unknown if he'll even be an option.

Beyond that I'm not a fan of Hackenberg whatsoever. Cook is a solid but nothing he does is really elite, also guys who complete less than 60% of their passes in college don't typically do well in the NFL.

Not a fan of Cardale Jones, no more project QB's please.

If Goff doesn't come out or he goes too high, then I guess I'm on board with Wentz in the 3rd round.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2015 at 8:14 PM ]
i think cook has great accuracy and make those back shoulder throws. his ball placement is great.
Originally posted by rxrunner:
i think cook has great accuracy and make those back shoulder throws. his ball placement is great.
Unfortunately he is way too inconsistent. Cook is a nice guy if you put a dominant defense and a strong running game around him, he looks like he's capable of being a pretty good game manager. None of that is worth a 1st round pick. Compared to Goff, his footwork is a mess, he's very Kaepernick-like in the way he constantly seems to throw off his back foot.

Also you have to wonder why a senior QB got shunned for team captain by his own teammates.

Not saying he doesn't have talent, because he obviously does, he has a good arm and when he is on, he can place the ball anywhere he wants with great touch but thus far he's been way too inconsistent and needs too much work for him to be a 1st round pick, although no doubt some team will reach and take him super early and most likely they'll be looking for a new QB in three years.

If a team drafts Cook, I think they have to commit to giving him at least two season to simply develop his QB skills and footwork before they push him into the starting lineup.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by rxrunner:
Unfortunately he is way too inconsistent. Cook is a nice guy if you put a dominant defense and a strong running game around him, he looks like he's capable of being a pretty good game manager. None of that is worth a 1st round pick. Compared to Goff, his footwork is a mess, he's very Kaepernick-like in the way he constantly seems to throw off his back foot.

Also you have to wonder why a senior QB got shunned for team captain by his own teammates.

Not saying he doesn't have talent, because he obviously does, he has a good arm and when he is on, he can place the ball anywhere he wants with great touch but thus far he's been way too inconsistent and needs too much work for him to be a 1st round pick, although no doubt some team will reach and take him super early and most likely they'll be looking for a new QB in three years.

If a team drafts Cook, I think they have to commit to giving him at least two season to simply develop his QB skills and footwork before they push him into the starting lineup.

He does look good on tape, but i see what you mean. Id rather have a starter then
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I just can't see goff. Being a good starter day 1... it would blow my mind. Decision making is not the greatest.and whatever qb we get will either start or sit behind gabbert lol
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Observations:

A couple of passes were off target, but no picks. A few drops by the receivers.

Did a good job of stepping up in the pocket to avoid the pressure on a blitz. Made the defense pay.

Excellent back-shoulder throw early in the game to pick up a first down on 3rd.

Not an amazing arm. Reminds me of Peyton Manning (good but not great arm; tall; #18). Obviously he's not as polished or good as Peyton was.

Got rid of the ball very quickly (this is my favourite attribute of his). His first TD came hitting his TE on a seam route, and the ball came out really quickly.

Stared down a couple of his receivers on a couple of throws, but they were complete.

Pinpoint accuracy on his long passes (a little like Alex Smith in that respect). Even with a defender coming in to hit him on one really nice long pass.

His receiver dropped a would-be TD at around 58:54 (would've made 3 for him that day). Very impressive play because it was his 2nd option, and he still got rid of the ball quickly (I can't remember what it's like seeing a Niner QB do that).

At 1:17, he does something I REALLY like. He sees the inevitable sack (a guy broke through the middle) extremely quickly, and he IMMEDIATELY throws the ball away (in the direction of a receiver, and it actually wasn't that far off from being catchable).

Another really nice play at 1:34. Looks right; has nothing. Looks left; hits a guy deep on a rope. He could give Colin lessons.

REALLY sells his fakes. Kinda like Brett Favre. His movements are really smooth.

He looked terrible is this game. He missed throws that most high school QBs make. He's going to be a massive bust because you cannot get away with missing easy throws at the next level
Originally posted by fan49:
I just can't see goff. Being a good starter day 1... it would blow my mind. Decision making is not the greatest.and whatever qb we get will either start or sit behind gabbert lol

Thats a given. No ready made starters to be found. It should be expected that anyone they might draft would sit for at least a year.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Top 10 Quarterbacks for 2016
Player School Round Projection
10. Brandon Doughty Western Kentucky Round 5
9. Blake Frohnapfel UMass Round 4
8. Gunner Kiel Cincinnati Round 4
7. Cody Kessler USC Round 3
6. Jacoby Brissett North Carolina State Round 3
5. Carson Wentz North Dakota State Round 3
4. Connor Cook Michigan State Round 2
3. Cardale Jones Ohio State Round 2
2. Christian Hackenberg Penn State Top 10
1. Jared Goff California #1 overall

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2574389-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-notebook-for-week-4

Just because he was a top high school QB doesn't mean he should be taken anywhere near the first round. That same logic made Blaine Gabbert a top 10 pick.

Avoid Hackenberg at all costs.
really? i think he is a good specimen. What i like is that it looks like he goes through his reads very quickly. He can probably pick up a pro system faster than most other college QBs
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
really? i think he is a good specimen. What i like is that it looks like he goes through his reads very quickly. He can probably pick up a pro system faster than most other college QBs

For his career he completes 55.9% of his passes (this year 53%) If you aren't accurate in college you aren't going to be in the NFL. I don't think there has ever been a successful NFL QB that was drafted solely based on potential.
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 16, 2015 at 3:47 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
THE GUY WILL BE THERE LATE 3RD AND EARLY 4TH..

Connor Cook probably will go 1st because of need like Hackenberg or Goff.

Cleveland is another team seeking QB because Manziel got in to trouble again
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

For his career he completes 55.9% of his passes (this year 53%) If you aren't accurate in college you aren't going to be in the NFL. I don't think there has ever been a successful NFL QB that was drafted solely based on potential.

Yuck- That's like Jake Locker numbers in college
Figures that the 49ers would have a down year right before a craptastic draft for QB's. I could get with drafting Goff but he's not a guy you throw out there as a starter right off the bat, he'd best off sitting for a season or two and its unknown if he'll even be an option.

Beyond that I'm not a fan of Hackenberg whatsoever. Cook is a solid but nothing he does is really elite, also guys who complete less than 60% of their passes in college don't typically do well in the NFL.

Not a fan of Cardale Jones, no more project QB's please.

If Goff doesn't come out or he goes too high, then I guess I'm on board with Wentz in the 3rd round.

This. Except I don't think Cook is even solid, he's absolute garbage!

Brett Favre has a career 52.4 completion percentage and a career 6.6 YPA (5.7 his senior year).
Originally posted by 9moon:
THE GUY WILL BE THERE LATE 3RD AND EARLY 4TH..

I HOPE YOU'RE RIGHT.

Oh, whoops; left the caps lock on...

Bosa/ Nkemdiche in the first, Andrew Billings in the 2nd, Kyle Fuller in the 3rd and Connor Cook in the 4th would be my dream draft (at this point).
Share 49ersWebzone