LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

Need people's honest opinions on PigskinProspects.com

Ok, so I'm asking the Webzoners here, since most of the followers of my site, http://pigskinprospects.com/ are from here, I want to know what you guys think, everything, content, quality of it, layout, is it good mobile wise? Is it a site that you would go back year after year, etc....

Really need the peoples thoughts, really want to find out what I need to improve on. My weakness for scouting players is Offensive Lineman, dont know why, just is.

So please take a look, look around, and let me know what is good, bad, and maybe ugly.
[ Edited by AB81Rules on Aug 27, 2015 at 3:39 AM ]
bump, c'mon guys, be brutualy honest. I can take it,
OK I'll check it out
I would like more content in reports, video clips as well
Also a very detailed report, like nfl draft profile does, small niche's to players game,
I would condense your Basics and Measurables (takes up half the page content/space)
I would not use a cover photo (field), it looks nice but websites with background pics like that make the site appear confusing
I would make the text size smaller and use a cleaner font, also darker text color

*I am in no way a pro. My advice might be terrible.
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:05 PM ]
Harbout... Agree with the basics and measurable being too spread out. I can see where you are coming from with the field background but it's very clean to me and adds a lot. Looks great with that football up in the corner. I can see how some might like it without it. I like the overall design but I have told AB that before.

I can agree you need more videos. Let's get you on camera AB if you are comfortable with that. More videos especially on the scouting reports. Maybe make some highlight tapes or tapes showing examples of the strengths and weaknesses of each prospect. Make a video talking about the strengths and then show some clips where you talk about how joe smith is great vs the run and here are some clip examples. Or how joe smith is horrible vs the pass and show him getting out of position in coverage. I'd link those videos below your written pros/cons.

I'd also say people love comparisons. When I see a comparison for a prospect it helps me relate. Some times you might say I dont see it but others youre like that's prefect. Gives the casual fans a sense of who they are. Maybe a ceiling and a floor for a comparison. Maybe put that in your prospect videos where you talk about the strengths of weaknesses.

Maybe something with fantasy. Players you could see busting out year 1 and could be sleepers for fantasy. Could do it before the draft or even after since it would be easier once you know the team they play for. Helps a bit in saying how successful or unsuccessful they could be year one.

I just think it's more of a waiting game as well. Many of these sites are up 10 years before they become big. You just have to keep your website name and keep it updated and it will get more popular. do you talk about it on twitter and facebook and instagram? Each site you should have an account for the website and post on it. Get followers on there and send them to the site. Also, did you put up a message board? That can really help although it's hard to get enough people on there to get the site going. Takes many years.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:42 PM ]
Gore_21 I agree alot with your post.

*Comparisons are huge and I actually forgot to add that in my post.

*I would scratch the on video part, and focus all my energy to searching game tape, grouping plays together, and using that to reinforce players pro's con's.

*I would also try to get clipped game tape of game's like breakdown and others do

*Also maybe an overall rating system

* Anything you can add fantasy wise is a plus. I spend so much time on fantasy analysis sites it's ridiculous.
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on Aug 28, 2015 at 9:29 PM ]
  • thl408
- More info on how the player was used. For example, this CB was asked to play mainly press bump and run, or give a cushion - zone or man coverage. This RB ran in a zone blocking scheme without a fullback, or mainly gap blocking. This QB operated mainly in a zone-read offense. This DE was part of a 4-3 defense or was a 3-4 DE. A mention of the scheme they were used in. Many teams will rate a prospect higher because they are a good scheme fit, making them more likely to be a contribute as a rookie.

- There are certain traits that should be mentioned for certain positions. For example:
DL: how quickly they get off at the snap
LB: how well they tackle; diagnose run/pass; was he a LB used in coverage or asked to rush the passer.
QB: throwing while pressured; can he make all the throws (deep post, deep out)
WR: how they handle being re-routed; adjusting to a poorly thrown ball; run after catch ability

Fundamental things that any person reading about a prospect want to know right away based on that player's position.

- Your Overall section is just the positive and negative put into a sentence. Perhaps include how you project his skillset to adapt, or not adapt, to the NFL game.

- Personally, I am always more interested in a player's negatives. Those tell me more than a player's positives. Some negatives can be coached out of them, some aren't so easily coached out.

- The layout is very nice and clean. Like the Big Board on the side. Perhaps link the names on the Big Board to the player's scouting report.
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
I would like more content in reports, video clips as well
Also a very detailed report, like nfl draft profile does, small niche's to players game,
I would condense your Basics and Measurables (takes up half the page content/space)
I would not use a cover photo (field), it looks nice but websites with background pics like that make the site appear confusing
I would make the text size smaller and use a cleaner font, also darker text color

*I am in no way a pro. My advice might be terrible.

The issue with videos is I can't actually legally host them, I would need to put them on youtube, and I don't actually have any type of software or technology that will allow for game capture.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Harbout... Agree with the basics and measurable being too spread out. I can see where you are coming from with the field background but it's very clean to me and adds a lot. Looks great with that football up in the corner. I can see how some might like it without it. I like the overall design but I have told AB that before.

I can agree you need more videos. Let's get you on camera AB if you are comfortable with that. More videos especially on the scouting reports. Maybe make some highlight tapes or tapes showing examples of the strengths and weaknesses of each prospect. Make a video talking about the strengths and then show some clips where you talk about how joe smith is great vs the run and here are some clip examples. Or how joe smith is horrible vs the pass and show him getting out of position in coverage. I'd link those videos below your written pros/cons.

I'd also say people love comparisons. When I see a comparison for a prospect it helps me relate. Some times you might say I dont see it but others youre like that's prefect. Gives the casual fans a sense of who they are. Maybe a ceiling and a floor for a comparison. Maybe put that in your prospect videos where you talk about the strengths of weaknesses.

Maybe something with fantasy. Players you could see busting out year 1 and could be sleepers for fantasy. Could do it before the draft or even after since it would be easier once you know the team they play for. Helps a bit in saying how successful or unsuccessful they could be year one.

I just think it's more of a waiting game as well. Many of these sites are up 10 years before they become big. You just have to keep your website name and keep it updated and it will get more popular. do you talk about it on twitter and facebook and instagram? Each site you should have an account for the website and post on it. Get followers on there and send them to the site. Also, did you put up a message board? That can really help although it's hard to get enough people on there to get the site going. Takes many years.

I like the message board idea, there's a lot of free software out there available to me, and others, I need people to just sign up.

I do have a twitter account, @NFLdraftpig

Originally posted by thl408:
- More info on how the player was used. For example, this CB was asked to play mainly press bump and run, or give a cushion - zone or man coverage. This RB ran in a zone blocking scheme without a fullback, or mainly gap blocking. This QB operated mainly in a zone-read offense. This DE was part of a 4-3 defense or was a 3-4 DE. A mention of the scheme they were used in. Many teams will rate a prospect higher because they are a good scheme fit, making them more likely to be a contribute as a rookie.

- There are certain traits that should be mentioned for certain positions. For example:
DL: how quickly they get off at the snap
LB: how well they tackle; diagnose run/pass; was he a LB used in coverage or asked to rush the passer.
QB: throwing while pressured; can he make all the throws (deep post, deep out)
WR: how they handle being re-routed; adjusting to a poorly thrown ball; run after catch ability

Fundamental things that any person reading about a prospect want to know right away based on that player's position.

- Your Overall section is just the positive and negative put into a sentence. Perhaps include how you project his skillset to adapt, or not adapt, to the NFL game.

- Personally, I am always more interested in a player's negatives. Those tell me more than a player's positives. Some negatives can be coached out of them, some aren't so easily coached out.

- The layout is very nice and clean. Like the Big Board on the side. Perhaps link the names on the Big Board to the player's scouting report.

I can definitely get into how the player was used, what scheme, etc..

I tried to go with a somewhat basic, and definitely clean layout, nothing too fancy.
One more thing Gore_21, I agree it takes a long time for a site to be popular, or widely known.

Traffic is really up over past few months, it was high in April-May around draft time, and then picked up this month, over 6.3GB transferred in bandwidth.

We're also getting 4-8 times the views each week over this time a year ago.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Traffic is really up over past few months, it was high in April-May around draft time, and then picked up this month, over 6.3GB transferred in bandwidth.

One thing I forgot... have you ever thought about adding various polls to your site? Especially on the home page where everyone can see. People love voting in polls. Maybe a new poll every week or few weeks or month... kind of a fun idea to add to the site. You see polls on many sports sites now a days. Use to be rare but they are all over now. Example: Who will be the best player from this draft class? Who will be the first quarterback taken? Which player is most likely to bust?

Originally posted by Gore_21:

One thing I forgot... have you ever thought about adding various polls to your site? Especially on the home page where everyone can see. People love voting in polls. Maybe a new poll every week or few weeks or month... kind of a fun idea to add to the site. You see polls on many sports sites now a days. Use to be rare but they are all over now. Example: Who will be the best player from this draft class? Who will be the first quarterback taken? Which player is most likely to bust?

Good idea. I like it.

I forgot to mention the auto linking, we're working on that, where when I update something I can auto link that player to there profile, on the side where I have big board, and positional rankings.
Good idea. I like it.

I forgot to mention the auto linking, we're working on that, where when I update something I can auto link that player to there profile, on the side where I have big board, and positional rankings.

I agree with whoever said link your big board on the front page to that players profile page. That will get more people to check out your player profiles.
Gore_21 I added the first Poll, check and vote, http://pigskinprospects.com/

Underneath the latest 3 articles on the right side.
  • Jiks
This is actually pretty damn cool dude! The format will taking some getting used to but it's got a of really good stuff. I've just barely skimmed through it so I will give you my thoughts after I get a little more acclaimed.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
This is actually pretty damn cool dude! The format will taking some getting used to but it's got a of really good stuff. I've just barely skimmed through it so I will give you my thoughts after I get a little more acclaimed.

Awesome, sounds good, and enjoy the season bud, glad you got your team, you deserved it. Hope the players do well for you, I'll be rooting for you.
Share 49ersWebzone