There are 140 users in the forums

2016 49ers Draft Needs - What Will Be Our #1 Need?

2016 49ers Draft Needs - What Will Be Our #1 Need?

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I just hate how just about everyone around here is if a player doesn't play now and doesnt play at pro bowl level they're a bust ...Let players develop even Montana and Rice had bad yrs in tha beginning but was able to develop and a Hall of Famers....

Where did I call anyone a bust?

Edit: I can understand not wanting to draft someone high and letting those young guys develop. I might be on board with that depending on how they play and how the RT spot is as well. If Pears and/or Brown are getting Kap killed all season we have to at least think about drafting a RT high next season. We will have to see if Anthony Davis is back as well and what shape he is in. Anyways, my point was more so we haven't really invested that much into the OL position since we took Iupati and Davis in the 1st 5 years ago. Of course we haven't really needed too until now with guys leaving/retiring. So maybe it's time to invest another high pick in the OL because 5 years with a few 5-7th rounders and 2 3rds and a 4th isn't a lot to invest. Just stock pile and let the best man win. Can't have enough good OL. The cowboys spent many many years ignoring the position and the few years they put something into it all of a sudden they can run the ball and advance as far or further than they did all those years with 10+ pro bowlers. It wasn't just Murray, it was mostly that great OL and it helped adding guys like Tyron Smith, Zach Martin and Travis Frederick.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 26, 2015 at 12:58 PM ]
Well i said offensive line 1st, but now it is definitely OLB for sure. Damn it
We haven't seen much of some of the younger offensive linemen like Thomas, but the coaches have. It wouldn't shock me if we missed on 1-2 of those mid-late round picks. The last pick in the 3rd round is not a huge investment and a ton of late 3rd round picks don't work out across the league. We have one of the worst lines in the league right now, so I hope we spend an early pick there. ILB is also a hole, but offensive line may be a bigger hole - you can have a good defense without great linebackers, but we don't have a QB who can perform with a bad offensive line.

Either way, we're at least a couple years away from being competitive again. There are way too many holes right now.
pass rusher
A fall guy
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Pass rusher then WR.
QB.
I
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
QB.

I'll hate if this is true, but I sort of think maybe. We'll find out soon, I think.
As of Preseason # 3 IMO, OLine!

Oline in th e 1st or 2nd round and maybe 2 more along the way

This of course can/will change as we keep playing.
Depends on how the team does, who is available, and if Kaepernick shows he can bae the QB.

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
QB.

Certainly not out of the realm of possibility!! This thought makes me sick to my stomach. Here's what I'd love to see (and I doubt it happens this year). I'd love to see what CK can do with a little bit of time in the pocket. This would allow Torrey Smith to exploit the deep stuff, Vernon to fill in the middle of the field and Boldin to work underneath.

If CK fails to deliver THEN we start looking at drafting QBs. In other words, I don't want a crappy OL dictating CK's ultimate outcome.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
9ers NEED a pass rusher and they also NEED a RT. So the better of the two in the 1st round is fine for me.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
9ers NEED a pass rusher and they also NEED a RT. So the better of the two in the 1st round is fine for me.

Agreed
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Thinkin' the same. I think OL is a much more glaring need, so I'd say

1. Tackle
2. Defensive End/Outside Linebacker
3. TE (McDonald isn't cutting it)
Oline
Share 49ersWebzone