There are 193 users in the forums

2016 Tackle prospects?

• Buchy
  • Veteran
I have a feeling we're going to be looking to draft a left tackle in 2016 to train behind Staley. Can any of you college football scouts and draft experts give an idea of who might be of interest? I think it will be someone we will develop for a season or two so I don't think it will be an instant starter.

Thanks
trade all our picks up for Laremy Tunsil, have him play LG till Staley is ready to retire
I doubt it..not a 1st rd pick..Anthony Davis will be back next yr and is still only 25 so when staley decides to go Davis will slide over as either Trent brown or Brandon Thomas..or even if they resign Alex Boone he can slide over to tackle..they have good young players who will develop..olb and wr are the 2 biggest needs next yr in my eyes..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Aug 24, 2015 at 6:58 AM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Buchy.
Anthony Davis isn't good enough in pass protection to play LT and I think we'd be better trading him than retaining him - I am not sure he has the desire to play and if he did want to come back he would need to spend this year keeping in real shape, I don't think he will.

Boone will want tackle money to stay and Staley has a couple of years left yet. As such I think we will definitely look to draft a tackle.
Baylor redshirt senior T Spencer Drango "has the skills to fight for top-40 overall status next spring, likely as a guard," CBS Sports' Dane Brugler observes.

"Entering his fourth season as Baylor's starting left tackle, Drango plays with a wide base with easy natural quickness in his kickslide, positioning himself to stonewall rushers with brick hands. Drango relies on timing and awareness and is rarely caught on off-balance with a quick-thinking approach that limits his mistakes," Brugler wrote. Last season, Drango was a consensus All-American and a unanimous first-team All-Big 12 selection, and enters the 2015 season with a team-high 35 career starts on his resume."

Would be a nice fit sounds like
Kansas State senior OT Cody Whitehair "could be this year's version of Zack Martin or Brandon Scherff," according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

"The draft analyst believes Whitehair is a "dominant college left tackle with a first round skill-set at guard in the NFL, that is "is built well for the position and uses his wide base to handle speed off the edge, staying balanced and sinking his hips at the point of attack." The 6-foot-4, 309-pounder started at left guard as a sophomore, and moved to left tackle as a junior in 2014, earning All-Conference honors. The Kansas State prospect is one of the best and most versatile offensive linemen in the Big 12."
From the PAC-12:
Kyle Murphy, Stanford
Zach Banner*, USC
Tyler Johnstone, Oregon
Caleb Benenoch*, UCLA
Ronnie Stanley out of Notre Dame would be my choice. He might be the best carbon copy of Staley in the 2016 draft, hell their last names are even similar. Jason Spriggs of Indiana is another, a former TE like Staley, very athletic, great agility, super athletic prospect at tackle.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 26, 2015 at 2:40 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Tyler Johnstone, Oregon

This, if he checks out health wise. Perfect fit if they want to continue to run zone blocking looks.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ronnie Stanley out of Notre Dame would be my choice. He might be the best carbon copy of Staley in the 2016 draft, hell their last names are even similar. Jason Spriggs of Indiana is another, a former TE like Staley, very athletic, great agility, super athletic prospect at tackle.

What a score that would be!

Staley has been excellent for us.

Another pick panned by many!

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Problem with Stanley or Tunsil is we would be drafting Top 10 to have a chance at them IMO. Both are prototypical NFL Left Tackles IMO.

Johnstone, if healthy, is a nice choice as a RT.

Another kid I like is Ohio State's Taylor Decker.
I wouldn't mind doing what we did a few years back...two OL early. Kind of boring, but we need some top talent there. In a perfect world, we would be happily surprised by some of the new guys we have and not need to spend these early picks. But a great OL helps everyone, even the defense, by increasing our time of possession, so.....let's get good.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Problem with Stanley or Tunsil is we would be drafting Top 10 to have a chance at them IMO. Both are prototypical NFL Left Tackles IMO.

Johnstone, if healthy, is a nice choice as a RT.

Another kid I like is Ohio State's Taylor Decker.

Thanks AB!

Question: If we were picking a mid to late first rounder, which is more realistic, who are the guys we can all start to look at as possible targets?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Everyone should start with the OT kid from NOTRE DAME!!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
Everyone should start with the OT kid from NOTRE DAME!!!

Kid is huge and looked very good out there
Share 49ersWebzone