LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Replacing Aldon in the Draft

Talk Haley into coming out of retirement for a 2nd time.
This year - the only guys left on the board that MIGHT have been up to Aldon's abilities were Shane Ray and Gregory - but both of them were high risks for off field problems. 9ers could get an insurance policy that essentially replaced one high risk with yet another possible catastrophe. Bummer.

Clearly the 9ers planned well with Aldon's contract restructure - to demand that per game payment 9ers knew there was a 50/50 chance Aldon failed again. At least that part was smart.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Dont think anyone will be there at pick 32
Originally posted by Overkill:
Bosa (projected top 5), Ogbah, Scooby Wright, and Calhoun could make a good group provided they produce this year. I also want to see Clemson's Lawson. He backed up Beasley on a stacked defense last year.

i think Scooby is more of a ILB isn't he? Would like him on this team though
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i think Scooby is more of a ILB isn't he? Would like him on this team though

Yeah he is a MLB.

OLB Pass Rush player to watch:
1. Joey Bosa*, Ohio State - May project better as a 4-3 end
2. Dadi Nicolas, Virginia Tech
3. Shilique Calhoun, Michigan State
4. Kamalei Correa*, Boise State
5. Emmanuel Ogbah*, Oklahoma State
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 10, 2015 at 12:07 PM ]
Crazy thought but after his season suspension I honestly think the niners could look at resigning him..they have put so much into him and have helped him..he has a serious problem..and knows and feels the niners organization care..crazy that supposedly 3 teams are trying to sign him now..but I would not be surprised if in a year he was on the niners..
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Crazy thought but after his season suspension I honestly think the niners could look at resigning him..they have put so much into him and have helped him..he has a serious problem..and knows and feels the niners organization care..crazy that supposedly 3 teams are trying to sign him now..but I would not be surprised if in a year he was on the niners..

That would really be a happy ending scenario for everyone. Don't see it happening, but you never know.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I like Lousiville's DeVonte Field the most... but personally, I think Tank will be as good as Aldon Smith ..
Originally posted by 9moon:
I like Lousiville's DeVonte Field the most... but personally, I think Tank will be as good as Aldon Smith ..

Problem with fields is he is lucky he's still playing college ball..IF he has a clean season and stays out of bs id def take him..but that's a big IF..
We already have that guy, his name is Eli Harold. Dude was a 1st rd talent in the eyes of many people and we got him in the 3rd. Daniel Jeremiah said he comparied favorably to Bud Dupree, who went 1st rd, and in some areas was better.

The biggest question mark about him was a thin waist line (lmao..srsly?) When he's on the field he has no problems converting speed to power. That shouldn't be an issue. Already has an array of pass rush moves. Dude has very high character and work ethic. VERY excited about him.

This year he probably plays on 3rd down/ passing situations a la Aldon rookie year. Will start full-time next year.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
We already have that guy, his name is Eli Harold. Dude was a 1st rd talent in the eyes of many people and we got him in the 3rd. Daniel Jeremiah said he comparied favorably to Bud Dupree, who went 1st rd, and in some areas was better.

The biggest question mark about him was a thin waist line (lmao..srsly?) When he's on the field he has no problems converting speed to power. That shouldn't be an issue. Already has an array of pass rush moves. Dude has very high character and work ethic. VERY excited about him.

This year he probably plays on 3rd down/ passing situations a la Aldon rookie year. Will start full-time next year.
This sounds good to me!
The Niners have to target WR and TE in this draft, and early. Torry Smith is a number two, at best, and Boldin is going to be 35 in about two months. Vernon turns 32 right after the season finishes and is a free agent.

I am not worried about the defense. It is the offense that is going to stink this year
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Niners have to target WR and TE in this draft, and early. Torry Smith is a number two, at best, and Boldin is going to be 35 in about two months. Vernon turns 32 right after the season finishes and is a free agent.

I am not worried about the defense. It is the offense that is going to stink this year

I agree, but feel like Baalke might prioritize OL instead. That's been his tendency. Depends how the recent draft choices from that unit perform.

Boldin and Vernon are definitely getting up there. You start to get a little worried when the skill position players on offense get older, less explosive, more injury prone.

I will say this about Boldin, if he has another year like 2013-2014, I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him even at his age. He's so important to this team as a chain-moving possession receiver. One of the clutchest receivers in the game imo.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
we CAN NOT target the WR and TE position now... we have young TEs that can play in the league... we don't need 1st round talent at the TE position.. Winslow Sr, Ozzie, Gonzalez may have been the best TEs to ever play the game and non of them ever got their team to the Super Bowl...

2016 is the year we MUST go after CBs.... i JUST really don't feel good about the CBs we have now...
Originally posted by 9moon:
we CAN NOT target the WR and TE position now... we have young TEs that can play in the league... we don't need 1st round talent at the TE position.. Winslow Sr, Ozzie, Gonzalez may have been the best TEs to ever play the game and non of them ever got their team to the Super Bowl...

2016 is the year we MUST go after CBs.... i JUST really don't feel good about the CBs we have now...

lol I agree with the first part, but disagree with the second part. I think Brock is about to breakout as a true #1 CB, and I love Reaser, Acker, DJ's potential. And even Cromartie if he sticks around. + we have Ward playing nickel and probably Tartt at the dime.

Also if Wright plays well, we might actually re-sign a CB for once considering we'll have the cap space.
[ Edited by Escobar on Aug 11, 2015 at 3:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone