There are 120 users in the forums

Which Rookie is in the best situation to excel his first year

this is a 2 part question..

Firstly which rookie on the 49ers is in the best situation to make an imposing impression his rookie year for the team..

Secondly which rookie around the league was drafted in the best situation to have an imposing rookie season.
For us I would say either Eli Harold or Mike Davis. Both of those guys play positions where we are likely to get a rotation going. I also think tha Tartt will likely have an impact on special teams.

As far as other teams I would say Cooper just due to the fact that the Raiders are likely to lean heavily on him for production.
Can't speak to other teams but for us:

DE Arik Armstead - Will be rotated in on some base downs, most pass rush situations to help free Lynch/Aldon
SS/ILB Jaquiski Tartt - Will be on the field in dime-nickel sets
OLB Eli Harold - Rotational pass rusher
TE Blake Bell - RZ TE and in-line blocker in the running game (will see the field the most)
RB Mike Davis - Backup RB
WR DeAndre Smelter - Most likely red-shirted
P/PK Bradley Pinion - See the field on kickoffs and punts (hopefully WAY more kickoffs )
T Ian Silberman - Cut or backup swing-T
G Trenton Brown - Cut or backup swing-T
X WR Rory 'Busta' Anderson - Backup behind Boldin and the TE's
Armsted hands down. Will have the best chance to start. The only way to make a name for yourself is to see the field.
After that eli harold if we cut brooks. He will be part of the rotation.
Everyone else depends on how they do. Tartt has the roughest path with two probowlers in front of him.
1- Armstead
2- Melvin Gordon
Definitely Armstead. Learning from Tomsula and has a chance to start early on.

As for the league, I think Vic Beasley
I think it is between Armstead and Harold. Brooks is going to be cut, so Harold competes with Lynch for a starting spot opposite Smith. If Smith gets in trouble, Harold is a nice insurance policy.

I'd like to see the Niners get all three on the field on some passing downs by kicking Smith inside on occasion. He was very effective doing this at Missouri, and has the length to pull this off in the NFL. It would be an interesting alignment.

I am sticking with Vic Beasley as the best player in this draft class. Double digit sacks this first year. The Falcons are building a nice defensive front with their free agent pickups and draft class of Beasley and Clemson teammate, Grady Jarrett
1) Eli Harold I think has the best chance to contribute.

2) Amari Cooper I believe got drafted into the best situation to have a good rookie year.
Hard to say for us. For Harold it will depend on if Brooks and/or Lemonier stick around. I don't think the coaches are ready to give up on Lemonier at this point. I think Davis will get carries but will be behind Hyde, Bush, and Hunter. I think you can include Millard in this group since he didn't play last year.
I'm HOPING Armstead makes the biggest impacts of our rookies.

I expect Amari Cooper and Melvin Gordon to have big rookie seasons.
  • thl408
Leonard Williams joins an already potent DL with the Jets. Todd Bowles fortified his secondary through free agency. That defense will look good and LW will get high exposure in NY.

With the 49ers, I think Mike Davis has the potential for the most snaps this season. He needs to beat out KHunter who just had two major knee operations. Bush will be a sub package RB and Bell may end up being the primary backup behind Hyde.

AA is a partial project. Tartt is log jammed behind two good safeties. Harold is a project. Bell has two TEs in front of him, possibly 3 if Carrier shows up. Pinion would be my second candidate for biggest contributor. If he beats out Lee, he's the man.

Originally posted by thl408:
Leonard Williams joins an already potent DL with the Jets. Todd Bowles fortified his secondary through free agency. That defense will look good and LW will get high exposure in NY.

With the 49ers, I think Mike Davis has the potential for the most snaps this season. He needs to beat out KHunter who just had two major knee operations. Bush will be a sub package RB and Bell may end up being the primary backup behind Hyde.

AA is a partial project. Tartt is log jammed behind two good safeties. Harold is a project. Bell has two TEs in front of him, possibly 3 if Carrier shows up. Pinion would be my second candidate for biggest contributor. If he beats out Lee, he's the man.

Agreed on Pinion. If the competition is close between he and Lee they'll get rid of the veteran. Regarding offensive players, I definitely think Davis makes the most impact (relatively speaking) but only because Bell, Smelter, Busta and the o-lineman will likely not make any at all. I think Armstead will make the least impact on defense given how difficult it is for a rookie to play that position/play it well. Tartt should be a demon on special teams.
  • 909er
  • Veteran
First year rookie I think Harold
Second year rookie I believe Ramsey is going to be a beast.
And melvin Gordon for league wide rookie
1. Tartt should be the first man up if there's an injury at safety, which unfortunately is a likely case. Plus, he'll get a lot of work on a STs.

-Runner-up: Armstead. He's in great position to crack the starting lineup by the end of the year, especially if Justin retires.

2. Gordon is a perfect fit for SD. He's an immediate upgrade and a day 1 starter.

-Runner-up: Agholor. I think he's a better prospect than Maclin was coming out and he should surpass Cooper and Mathews early in the season. He's a perfect fit in Chip's offense. He would be my early pick to lead all rookie WRs in receiving yards.
[ Edited by strickac on May 9, 2015 at 5:09 PM ]
I think armstead and tartt see the largest chunk of snaps early on, but I think Blake Bell becomes TE#2 and we see him gain Colin's trust.

Overall throughout the league I think Winston and Kevin white are in a battle for offensive rookie of the year.
Arik A will be a Good Pro. I liked the pick it made a lot of sense and he will be a good 49er for a long time hopefully.
Share 49ersWebzone