LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Ivanm05's Make you feel better about draft Thread + Compilation Highlight Video

First off, I'd like to say that no draft is ever conducted in a vacuum. To understand and appreciate what Baalke did this year you have to look back at what he's done the past couple drafts, and also understand where this roster is now.

More than anything, what stood out to me this draft were the things Baalke didn't do. He didn't reach for a WR that may not start. Same with corner and ilb. He addressed different positions that may not be of need now but will definitely will be a need next year. He did the same the last draft, picking up all those db's and Borland. Unfortunately, we all know that didn't work out. But Acker, Reaser, Johnson, Martin, Thomas, Millard, and Ellington all have the opportunity to show if 2014 was a great draft class or not.

I think when we look back at this class of 2015 we will be able to say that we found Cowboy's, Anquan's, Behea's, Brooks, Andy Lee's, and possibly VD's replacements in this draft. I don't know about you, but that sounds very good. to me.

ROUND 1

Arik Armstead

This pick was all about projection. Everyone wants immediate gratification, an immediate starter., especially in round one. I get it. Everyone wanted a starting corner or wide receiver, but what many of you fail to realize is that while those positions are valuable they are nowhere near as pivotal to this team's success as a 3-4 defensive end, or 5 technique. He is going to be two-gapping in Mangini's defense and that is as important as any position on defense. Without someone holding those blocks, rushers like Aldon and Lynch are futile. They can't get to the quarterback.

Here is an excerpt from an interview regarding Mangini's defense in New York:

What type of players does Mangini need to make his defense work?

You need big linemen to eat up blockers and keep linebackers clean. You also need a very dynamic edge rusher since the linemen tend to be space eaters.

Arik Armstead is ideal for this position. Whether Cowboy returns this season or not, the team had to address this position, especially since Ray Mac is gone too. I know many of you wanted more explosiveness from Armstead, but if you look at his tape, he was never dominated. He was never punked. Sure you would like him to get off the ball faster but all that can be coached.

He's going to live in the weight room this offseason. This strength and conditioning staff has shown that they can beef guys up and get them right and strong. Look at Lynch from last year. They are going to fill that frame and get him proper.

In 2016, we are all going to be very happy we took Armstead. His upside is insane. I would almost say that he has the most upside out of any defensive players taken in the first round. If Tomsula can get undrafted guys to be serviceable on that line, imagine what he can do with a first rounder with all the potential in the world.

Armstead can be a Cowboy like player for us in the future for many many years .

An interesting stat: he recorded 46 tackles, including 5.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks despite facing constant double teams.

He proved to be at his best on the biggest of stages, posting a career-high nine tackles in the College Football Playoff National Championship against Ohio State along with recovering one fumble

ROUND 2

Jaquiski Tartt

This is probably my favorite pick. And I'm about to make him your favorite pick too. Everyone wants to say he's a reach, but this guy was the best Strong Safety right behind Collins. The 49ers even had him rated higher than Collins. He's 6-foot-1, 221 pounds, with long arms (32 5/8")

In order to get to the playoffs, and in order to do that you have to win in your division. We all know that, but in this division it's harder when you have Seattle. Seattle isn't going anywhere and now they have the threat of the run as well as the pass. You can't put a regular dime defense because Marshawn will just kill you, and you can't stack the box because Graham will beat you over the middle.

He's essentially going to take P. Willis spot on Dime and nickel packages. He is going to be the one policing the middle of the field along with Navarro. He's going to be Kam Chancellor. He is going to be Manigini's Rodney Harrison.

And aside from that he provides great depth. I do not want to see Craig Dahl starting if Reid or Bethea get hurt. This is going to be Bethea's last year and Tartt will be there to take over and play alongside Reid from 2016 and on, forming the best safety tandem in the league.

.If anything, what worries me the most about this pick has nothing to do with Tartt but with Ward. I pray he improves dramatically as a nickel corner because I don't see what other role he can fill with Tartt on the roster now.

Trust me, when he lays the lumber on Rb's and TE's you are going to forget about X receiver we didn't draft there in the 2nd.

ROUND 3

Eli Harold

This pick is all about value. Value and insurance. Everyone seems to think that the 49ers will automatically resign Aldon if there are no off the field incidents but I'm not so sure. If Aldon has a mediocre to down year, he will not be resigned especially because there will be other teams throwing money at him. I really do think this can be Aldon's last season as a 49er. And if it is, you need more than Lemonier behind him.

Eli will possibly force Baalke to make Lemonier a camp cut. Or maybe he tries to trade him for a late round pick a la Harralson.

This is going to be Brooks last season too, so we need another linebacker waiting in the wings.

I also get excited because I can potentially see a Nascar type package where the niners have Aldon, Lynch, and Harold all rushing the qb.

He is thin but like I mentioned before I am fully confident the staff can get him right, get him to bulk up.

ROUND 4

Blake Bell

I think we may have found a new Delanie. Not as athletic but definitely just as serviceable. He will not play much this season. Because he doesn't know the position as well as we need him to, but Sparano is a great O-line, TE coach and he will bring him along just fine.

As far as qualities, he has great hands. If you watch him against Oklahoma State, he's making one handed catches. This year he was blocking., they moves him all over the field, in the backfield. I think he has the potential to become the best offensive player that we took this draft.

On top of that I would love to see him get the ball directly from the center at goal line situations… the belldozer.

I see a lot of Jason Witten in him too. Sure hands.

I haven't lost faith in McDonald either. I think this is the season he shows his full potential.

Mike Davis

My second favorite pick. Physical. If Jonathan Stewart and Alfred Morris had a love child you would have Mike Davis. He's stout, and thick but athletic as hell. He can be an every down back if Hyde were to go down. We can't say that about any other rb in our roster.

In 2013, he was one of the best runningbacks in the nation and many considered him better than Lattimore. I think he will be the one to contribute the most on the offensive side of the ball this first year.

Baalke wants to punish defenses running the ball and now he has two bruisers in Hyde and Davis.

Deandre Smelter

A WZ favorite. Many wanted this guy in the later rounds and I'm sure he's the favorite pick around here. I like it, and not just for they type of player he is, but because he's going to allow Patton and Ellington to show what they really have.

One thing that worried me about getting a WR too high was that we were going to force these guys further down on the depth chart, and I'm tired of that. Patton has never done anything to warrant being pushed down the chart. When he's played hes made big plays. I know many will point out the fumble against SD, but that was just unlucky. Look at how dynamic he looked right before then.

And with regards to that same game, Ellington showed us what he can be. And it was the first game he was incorporated into the gameplan… what a coincidence. Smelter's rehab will give these players the opportunity to make a name for themselves.

And as for Smelter. I'm excited to see what he can do once he's better. I fully intend to see him start on the PUP list. But he's got huge hands. He's a monster when it comes to blocking. Physical. Fast. He's going to take Boldin's spot after next season. Can't get much better than that in the 4th round. Awesome value.

ROUND 5

Bradley Pinion

Punters are people too. Initially I was just as baffled as all of you with this choice. But the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. I'm sure Baalke took him because there were no other players there in the 5th that could become as important as Pinion can become for us.

Had a 42.6-yard average and 40.3-yard net average on 75 punts in 13 games (12 starts) ... had 28 punts inside the 20 with only two touchbacks ... first in school history in punts inside the 20 and sixth in net punting average. He also had a 43.1-yard average on seven punts and was 1-1 on extra-point attempts against Florida State

Now field-position wins games. Baalke want to win with time of possession and field position. Run the ball, kill the clock.. pin them inside their ten, and get to the quarterback.

Andy Lee's best years are behind him. He is still serviceable and can still be good but not for long. I see Pinion getting the Acker treatment and stashing him for next year. Baalke's not going to cut a Punter he took with a 5th round pick. Pinion is our future punter… it's just a matter of time.

And he has great hang time. If we're winning with great defense and field of position in the future I think we'll look back and appreciate what Baalke did here.

ROUND 6

Ian Silberman

He's a big Tackle/Guard that just adds more depth to the line. There's no reason to look at this pick with scrutiny. He's going to come in and compete. Best case scenario is he bumps Looney out of the depth chart.

Boston College has an athletic QB and runs the option a lot of the time, so Silberman will not have much of an adjustment, systemwise.

ROUND 7

Trent Brown

Hercules! Hercules! This is a big boy. He's 6-8. 350 pounds. He runs a 5.23. He has 36-inch arms.And I think there's a lot of promise here. I already liked that he's dropped some 30 pounds to go back down to 350. Like Tomsula said, there's a lot of clay to mold here.

If he shows some grit I think he has a chance to make the 53.

Busta Anderson

I liked this pic a lot. He's tall and athletic, his only hindrance have been his tricep injuries. I fully expect him to make the practice squad and learn for a season. Couldn't ask for more three picks shy from Mr. Irrelevant.

Also, I had some fun and made a video of all our draft picks Hope you guys like it.

[ Edited by ivanm05 on May 5, 2015 at 6:18 PM ]
Legit.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Dope Video
[ Edited by DeUh on May 5, 2015 at 7:02 PM ]
Good thread dude
Thanks man, love the write up and video
Awesome!
Enjoyed.
  • thl408
All aboard! Choo choo! Enjoyed the read (and video) and hope it's all accurate. Except the part about if Aldon has a mediocre year.
I'm so excited for Tartt! He's going to be our swiss army knife on defense!
Video got me freakin juiced!!!

Very nice job man!!

Pinion was only selected 23 picks higher than Lee. Not that bad if you think about it that way.
THANK YOU for getting some of the zoners who are on suicide watch to step away from the ledge. All drafted players for all teams are simply prospects at this time. Today someone posted the twitter feed of texan fans after they selected JJ Watt. Everyone was up in arms over what a bad draft Pick JJ Was.

I for one did not think about the fact the Tartt would be in dime package with Navorro the onhly ILB ont he field.

My dream is for the 2018 draft, when the fourth round starts the announcers will reference the Niners 4th round in 2015 as the best ever.

Starting TE in round 4
RB in round 4
Starting WR in round 4
OUTSTANDING!!
Originally posted by 9erred:
THANK YOU for getting some of the zoners who are on suicide watch to step away from the ledge. All drafted players for all teams are simply prospects at this time. Today someone posted the twitter feed of texan fans after they selected JJ Watt. Everyone was up in arms over what a bad draft Pick JJ Was.

I for one did not think about the fact the Tartt would be in dime package with Navorro the onhly ILB ont he field.

My dream is for the 2018 draft, when the fourth round starts the announcers will reference the Niners 4th round in 2015 as the best ever.

Starting TE in round 4
RB in round 4
Starting WR in round 4

Yeah no worries, man. It's easy yo get caught up with the sexy picks, but this draft was more about substance than it was sexy. And I love that. And I'm with you.

The 4th round has become my most favorite round, because Baalke seems to always have two or more picks there and always seems to get his runningbacks and wide receivers there. I'm hoping that his past three 4th rounds turn into something special, starting this year with Patton.
Nice write up

I agree with everything you wrote...I'm not to worried about Ward though. He was never gonna be a SS but is a ball-hawk FS. I hope Reid plays forever, but his concussions are pretty serious. Ward would be the next man up, not Tartt. Also I just don't see Smith going anywhere and Eli is far far away from being as good as him....you don't lose top 5 pass rushers in FA, I think that's one position the Baalke will not be cheap about.

I'm gonna love to see Tartt in certain packages knocking the snot out of softy Graham gotta be stout up the middle in the NFC West.

Loved the Davis pick, he was a stud in 2013, but had injury and conditioning issues in 2014. He reminds me of a better Bradshaw.

by now everyone knows how Baalke drafts...which is for the future not reaching for need. I love the idea of having most of you're rookies get a year to get adapted to the NFL, learn schemes, and get bigger/stronger. I'd rather have a well prepared 2nd year player than a rookie who gets throw out to the wolves.
Share 49ersWebzone