LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

The prospects before our pick vs. after our selection vs. our board

Baalke said that DB didn't land the way he wanted, and it's obvious we reached for Tartt and Pinnion. I just wonder what they were really thinking, what our board may have looked like, vs. what we should have gotten. I don't think DB was a need like 80% faithful thought that is was, but if he wanted one they were def. available...

Round 1.. Obviously traded back to get what most had them getting in mocks.. Arik Armstead

Available in that area= Marcus Peters CB need
Kevin Johnson= CB need
Nelson Agholor= WR need and my mock selection
Breshad Perriman= WR need, fell and could have moved back a 2nd time to get.

Round 2- Jaquiski Tartt- reach

Available in that area= ILB Perryman who I wanted bad! and mocked to us.
Eric Kendricks= ILB need and rated round 1
B. McKinney= ILB need and rated round 1 by some.
Eric Rowe= DB need who I thought was better than Tartt.
Ronald Darby= DB need
Senquez Golson= CB need, who I had mocked to us.

Round 3- Eli Harold- steal, so IMO no need to see what was in that area

Round 4- Blake Bell- Mike Davis- Deandre Smelter- all needs, but bigger needs in other areas.

Available= OL TJ Clemmings rated in round 1, but fell due to injury.
Ramik Wilson= ILB need and was the following pick to KC
Josh Shaw= DB
Doran Grant= DB
Marcus Hardison= DL who I had mocked to us. Went 3 picks later.
Buck Allen= RB pick before Davis. Didn't fit as well as Davis, but did they want him instead of Davis?
Vince Mayle= WR who I had mocked to us. Went 6 picks after Bell.

The later rounds are a crap shoot anyways, so I won't go there...
While I've come to grips with Tartt, I still have trouble believing someone else would have pounced that early and/or around that part of the round.

Even if Baalke REALLY wanted him and didn't want to risk out on missing him, I think the team had the ammo to jump back into the 2nd to grab him. #46 just seemed too high.
Baalke clearly didn't see ILB or CB or WR as a need. Considered we drafted or signed 0 rookie CBs or ILB, I take it as a clue it wasn't a necessity to Baalke. And considering our only WR pick was a guy who'll be in IR, I think he's comfortable with WR also. Your entire "who we should have actually drafted" definitely doesn't align with the way Baalke views the team.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Baalke clearly didn't see ILB or CB or WR as a need. Considered we drafted or signed 0 rookie CBs or ILB, I take it as a clue it wasn't a necessity to Baalke. And considering our only WR pick was a guy who'll be in IR, I think he's comfortable with WR also. Your entire "who we should have actually drafted" definitely doesn't align with the way Baalke views the team.

True. And depending on who's board you use, all 31 teams were "reaching" too on MANY MANY picks. It's about each team's OWN board, value and need and preference. That's what makes evaluating drafts difficult. At the end of the day, Baalke was going to get 10 players he really valued for our team for this year, next and beyond plus two more picks for next year including Bell from the SD trade this year. When you simply look at who we expect to lose next year, you'll understand why Baalke valued his guys higher than say, another team who had other needs, immediate holes to fill, value, a whole team to build, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 5, 2015 at 4:37 PM ]
I don't get why people think CB was a need at our 15th pick.

Perrish Cox- 5th round pick
Chris Culliver- 3rd round
Trumaine Brock- UDFA
Dontae Johnson- 4th round
Tarell Brown- 5th round

We were ranked 5th in pass defense last year and we were missing Brock

This defense isn't built around the CB position, its built around our pass rush and dedication to stopping the run. CB is a position that is benefits from those two aspects of our defense.

That being said Peters, Johnson, and Jones were not worthy our 15th pick with the guys that were still on the board. To be honest I'm happy the way the 1st pick turned out for us.
I went over the picks mostly cause I wanted to see what we missed out in the 5th round. And man there was some talent we passed on. I will be the first to admit Baalke knows more about football than me and I'm not complaining about the draft except the 5th round. But this is the guys we coulda had.

1. Pick 17 - Shane Raye - a joint doesn't make him a DGB or Randy Gregory.
2. Pick 46 - Jake Fisher
3. Pick 79 - Paul Dawson
4. Pick 117 - Josh Shaw
4. Pick 126 - Jay Ajayi
4. Pick 132 - DeAndre Smelter - I love this pick
5. Pick 165 - Michael Bennett
6. Pick 190 - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
7. Pick 244 - Kurtis Drummond/Anthony Harris/Durell Eskridge - Take your pick
7. Pick 254 - Antwaan Goodley

If someone woulda posted this as a mock draft no one would have thought it was possible and it could have been had.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I went over the picks mostly cause I wanted to see what we missed out in the 5th round. And man there was some talent we passed on. I will be the first to admit Baalke knows more about football than me and I'm not complaining about the draft except the 5th round. But this is the guys we coulda had.

1. Pick 17 - Shane Raye - a joint doesn't make him a DGB or Randy Gregory.
2. Pick 46 - Jake Fisher
3. Pick 79 - Paul Dawson
4. Pick 117 - Josh Shaw
4. Pick 126 - Jay Ajayi
4. Pick 132 - DeAndre Smelter - I love this pick
5. Pick 165 - Michael Bennett
6. Pick 190 - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
7. Pick 244 - Kurtis Drummond/Anthony Harris/Durell Eskridge - Take your pick
7. Pick 254 - Antwaan Goodley

If someone woulda posted this as a mock draft no one would have thought it was possible and it could have been had.

You would still have people losing their minds about drafting 0 day 1 starters.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I don't get why people think CB was a need at our 15th pick.

Perrish Cox- 5th round pick
Chris Culliver- 3rd round
Trumaine Brock- UDFA
Dontae Johnson- 4th round
Tarell Brown- 5th round

We were ranked 5th in pass defense last year and we were missing Brock

This defense isn't built around the CB position, its built around our pass rush and dedication to stopping the run. CB is a position that is benefits from those two aspects of our defense.

That being said Peters, Johnson, and Jones were not worthy our 15th pick with the guys that were still on the board. To be honest I'm happy the way the 1st pick turned out for us.

Cox had some off-field issues when he got drafted, but was considered one of the most talented CB's in his draft class. Cully had injuries he dealt with in college and only played CB senior year after playing WR freshman year and then FS. It took both of these guys a while to develop, but they were much more talented than their draft position would indicate which is why they got paid this offseason. We're way worse at CB than we were last year and picking a CB at 15 would have addressed a more immediate need than 3-4 DE. Dontae Johnson looked good as a rookie, but he's not a finished project and his ceiling may be lower than Cully's.

I'd rather have Armstead than one of the corners available in the first, but I'm not going to pretend our CB situation is okay. I'm completely fine with the team deciding to punt the season and would have chosen to do the same thing this draft (albeit with some different selections).
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Cox had some off-field issues when he got drafted, but was considered one of the most talented CB's in his draft class. Cully had injuries he dealt with in college and only played CB senior year after playing WR freshman year and then FS. It took both of these guys a while to develop, but they were much more talented than their draft position would indicate which is why they got paid this offseason. We're way worse at CB than we were last year and picking a CB at 15 would have addressed a more immediate need than 3-4 DE. Dontae Johnson looked good as a rookie, but he's not a finished project and his ceiling may be lower than Cully's.

I'd rather have Armstead than one of the corners available in the first, but I'm not going to pretend our CB situation is okay. I'm completely fine with the team deciding to punt the season and would have chosen to do the same thing this draft (albeit with some different selections).

If Brock stays healthy our CBs will be as good or better then last year. Brock on one side with either the underachieving cook or wright playing better then expected on the other side and ward/Johnson as the third and 4th. Depth scares me because that's what really hurt us last year with scrubs like chromartie and McFadden playing big minutes but its no more of a need then the other positions we picked that would also be in trouble with injuries.
Lets revisit this thread in 5 years...

Share 49ersWebzone