LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

MadDog49er Draft Analysis and Grade for 2015 NFL Draft

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Carl Davis and Erving have looked pretty good so far

Agree...I particularly liked Davis and was disappointed the 9ers didn't figure out how to move to select him. Not sure he will be better than Armstead in the long run but with Williams and Dorsey being injured or older...?

Purcell might change my perspective on Davis though and Tomsula probably knew what he had.

Center is one of those foundational positions so important. He doesn't have to be the most athletic guy but strong and smart would be nice. I didn't mind them passing on him because they have four guys with experience at center last year and thought they would be solid this year...little did I know! Still surprised they cut both Looney and Farrell. Is Easton really better than those two? Hope so!

Edit: forgot my biggest agreement/mistake...Strong! I loved this guys attitude and background story so much I thought they should have taken him at all cost! Now it appears, according to his coaches, that he doesn't work at his craft? Wow...the opposite of what I read in his bio. Thought he would be a faster Boldin. Now it looks like Smelter may have been the smarter move...even with a delayed start to his career.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 24, 2015 at 9:56 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agree...I particularly liked Davis and was disappointed the 9ers didn't figure out how to move to select him. Not sure he will be better than Armstead in the long run but with Williams and Dorsey being injured or older...?

Purcell might change my perspective on Davis though and Tomsula probably knew what he had.

Center is one of those foundational positions so important. He doesn't have to be the most athletic guy but strong and smart would be nice. I didn't mind them passing on him because they have four guys with experience at center last year and thought they would be solid this year...little did I know! Still surprised they cut both Looney and Farrell. Is Easton really better than those two? Hope so!

Edit: forgot my biggest agreement/mistake...Strong! I loved this guys attitude and background story so much I thought they should have taken him at all cost! Now it appears, according to his coaches, that he doesn't work at his craft? Wow...the opposite of what I read in his bio. Thought he would be a faster Boldin. Now it looks like Smelter may have been the smarter move...even with a delayed start to his career.

Yeah I'm super disappointed in Strong. I'll hold out hope he turns it around but damn.....Just complete opposite of what I heard about him out of ASU.

I actually like Purcell quite a bit (better than Armstead )
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

MadDog--I liked most of the guys on your list but in retrospect are they less than expected? (too early to tell, but?)

1st Cameron Erving C--2nd string--Browns
2nd Jaelen Strong WR--not listed on depth chart--Texans
3rd Carl Davis DE--2nd string--Ravens
4th Jay Ajayi RB--injured--Dolphins
4th Martrell Spaight ILB--3rd string--Redskins
4th Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB--not listed on depth chart--Browns
5th Tre McBride WR--not listed on depth chart--Titans
6th Joey Mbu NT--not listed on depth chart--Falcons
7th BJ Finney C/G--not listed on depth chart--Steelers
7th Anthony Harris SS--3rd string--Vikings
Edit: Irving and Davis would be intersting on the niners, but

Compare to niners picks--
1st Armstead DL--26 plays, 2 QB hits, rotational backup
2nd Tartt SS--31 plays in 2 games, one sack, rotational player
3rd Harold OLB--13 plays
4th Bell TE--18 plays
4th Davis RB--42 plays
4th Smelter--injured
5th Pinion--starer
6th Silberman--nada
7th Brown--nada
7th Anderson--injured
Something to remember though is a player getting drafted by a different team changes the entire scenario. If Erving gets drafted by us maybe he isn't a 2nd stringer anymore. Maybe he's good enough to play Center. Travis Fredrick for the cowboys started at center from day 1. If Erving comes to us maybe he starts at center and Marcus Martin moves to guard.

Same with Carl Davis. If he goes to the Niners maybe he does better learning from our coaches or our scheme

If Armstead went to the Ravens he could be a 2nd stringer right now.

Just saying a different environment and team and coaches changes everything.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Something to remember though is a player getting drafted by a different team changes the entire scenario. If Erving gets drafted by us maybe he isn't a 2nd stringer anymore. Maybe he's good enough to play Center. Travis Fredrick for the cowboys started at center from day 1. If Erving comes to us maybe he starts at center and Marcus Martin moves to guard.

Same with Carl Davis. If he goes to the Niners maybe he does better learning from our coaches or our scheme

If Armstead went to the Ravens he could be a 2nd stringer right now.

Just saying a different environment and team and coaches changes everything.

All true! No way to know these things unless there is a time machine and we have powers to make draft changes! But the main point I was trying to make, actually two, is that I feel Baalke is much better at this than I am and it's way too early to judge this team or any players.

Even great players have been benched in their rookie years, just to come back with a vengence. So far Armstead is getting reps behind two very decent vets and Tartt has been in games and may be a starter by next year if they decide to let Bethea go. I'm hoping Harold gets some playing time soon...more time that is. His speed and quickness is greatly needed since the rush has been less than ideal.
Henry Anderson looks like steal for the Colts. The NT they drafted, also from Stanford, looked really good too.
I get a chance to follow the players I selected in my version of the draft. Here is what I have seen so far:

Erving is a really good player, but stuck behind one of the best lines in the NFL. He played two positions in college, left tackle and center, currently occupied by Joe Thomas and Alex Mack. Mack is a free agent after this year, and will probably move on. When he went down last year, the team imploded. Hence, the pick. The Browns are really high on him. In their last preseason game, he was a healthy scratch, along with the starting five, and the beat writers really think he has a bright future. Erving would be a starter on the Niners OL.

Strong has been a horrific bust pick so far. He came in to rookie camp overweight, and although he arrived to training camp in shape, he simply did not show enough to pass some of the vets on offense. This year is going to be a wash for him, but it will be for most of the rookie WR class, which has not measured up to the last couple classes (especially last year's stud group). I should have stuck to my guns, and kept Tyler Lockett as the fourth best WR in this class. Although I had Lockett the 17th best player on my board on draft day, I did leap him with Strong late in the process. Oh, well. We will have to see if Strong can turn it on. He will get his opportunity with the Texans.

Carl Davis has been REALLY, REALLY good for the Ravens this draft. In fact, after Week 2 of the season, he graded out as the 7th best rookie in the 2015 draft. I am not sure his grade for Week 3, but he was a monster in the preseason, and the team loves him. He takes nearly every snap in the base defense, and comes off the field during most passing downs. The Ravens beat writers love the kid. He is first round talent, and productivity so far, but fell to the third round.

Ajayi is out for the year with injury. Up and down offseason. Bitterly disappointing early, and then looked very good in preseason game before going down.

Spaight is out for the year with injury.Had solid preseason (started one game). Concussion ended year. Sucks.

Ekpre-Olomu is out for the year with injury.(Stash pick)

McBride is on the practice squad. (Titans WR roster is fair deep. Just didn't show enough).

Mbu is on the practice squad. (The team really liked him, but very deep DT pool for the Falcons).

Finney would probably have made the Steelers roster (he had a really solid preseason and was a second teamer) but got injured in the last series of the preseason, and was cut. Bad timing.

Harris is on the practice squad. (Not going to start over Harrison Smith).

---------------------------------------------
Notes: Been very happy to see the development of Tyrod Taylor with the Bills. He was my fifth rounder in the 2011 NFL Draft (the same draft as Kaepernick). I always thought he would turn out to be a good player in the right system, and he was never going to get his shot behind Flacco. He might flame out at any moment, but for now, was a great 5th round value.

Notes: Really happy for the Stanford DL duo of David Parry and Henry Anderson. I graded Anderson as a second round prospect, above Armstead, and think he has a really bright NFL career. He just posted a 1.1 grade for Week 3, and continues to look like a first round quality pick. Parry also has been able to transition well. I think both will progress as the year goes along.

Wouldn't Tyler Lockett look good on this team. He scores a TD on special teams about every other week, and he is getting play at WR, too. Trust your judgment when watching college football. Lockett was almost always the best player on the field in every college football game. That usually transitions to success in the NFL.

From that disastrous 2012 NFL draft for the Niners, I have a few guys still looking great. It certainly was not Peter Konz, who has been a bust. Mo Sanu has been a really solid contributor as the number two/three WR for the Bengals. But, the best of the group has been Malik Jackson, who I grabbed in the 5th round. Really terrific talent for the Broncos. Hoping to see if Vick Ballard can shake off injuries and make another run next year for the Colts or another team. Brandon Thompson is rotational DT for the Bengals. Nothing compared to my 2011 draft with Watt, Hudson, T. Taylor, but still some guys making major contributions.

My top three players in this draft have fared this way, thus far:
1. Vic Beasley- going to be a monster for the Falcons. Simply too fast for LT's to win against. He has to gain strength, but the sky is the limit for him. Matched up against two very good LT's this year in Peters and Smith. Will get some numbers against less elite LT's.

2. Kevin White- On the PUP list. Can't wait to see what he can do once healthy. In the end, I see him as the Julio Jones to the AJ Green, where Jones eventually leapfrogs a stud in Green as the best from the class.

3. Amari Cooper- A no-brainer. Such a great pro already. Could easily emerge as the best player from this class. Impact right away. Got to love the direction of the Raiders, even though I hate the team. Smart picks in Carr, Mack (my number one best player in the 2014 draft), and Cooper already turning around the franchise.

I was dead-on with my analysis of Washington G Brandon Scherff. Watched a ton of games with him last year, and noted there was no way he could be a tackle in this league. Guard was always home for him. The Redskins seemed surprised he couldn't handle OT duties, so they shifted him inside. Not sure why they didn't see the same things I saw in college games.

Crapped by pants on the evaluation of Cards' OT DJ Humphries, who I had as the best OT in this draft. Had every opportunity to start at RT this year, his laziness has him benched. Fire in the belly is never overrated. Maybe he can turn it around.

Had Mariota as the best QB from this class, and Winston outside my top 50 picks. I like what I see from Mariota, and probably should have graded him higher going into the draft. He looks like a keeper so far. Meanwhile. Winston struggled against the Texans, who didn't record a sack, and didn't hit him that much (someone has to step up and help JJ, who is doubled on nearly every down).

In the end, the draft is part science, part hunch, and part witchcraft. GMs get great praise one day, and then are handed walking papers a few years later (hint: Baalke). The brightest minds flame out, and that is maybe the beauty of it: The unpredictable nature, the elusiveness to become proficient at player analysis.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 29, 2015 at 3:15 AM ]
I get a chance to follow the players I selected in my version of the draft. Here is what I have seen so far:

Erving is a really good player, but stuck behind one of the best lines in the NFL. He played two positions in college, left tackle and center, currently occupied by Joe Thomas and Alex Mack. Mack is a free agent after this year, and will probably move on. When he went down last year, the team imploded. Hence, the pick. The Browns are really high on him. In their last preseason game, he was a healthy scratch, along with the starting five, and the beat writers really think he has a bright future. Erving would be a starter on the Niners OL.

Strong has been a horrific bust pick so far. He came in to rookie camp overweight, and although he arrived to training camp in shape, he simply did not show enough to pass some of the vets on offense. This year is going to be a wash for him, but it will be for most of the rookie WR class, which has not measured up to the last couple classes (especially last year's stud group). I should have stuck to my guns, and kept Tyler Lockett as the fourth best WR in this class. Although I had Lockett the 17th best player on my board on draft day, I did leap him with Strong late in the process. Oh, well. We will have to see if Strong can turn it on. He will get his opportunity with the Texans.

Carl Davis has been REALLY, REALLY good for the Ravens this draft. In fact, after Week 2 of the season, he graded out as the 7th best rookie in the 2015 draft. I am not sure his grade for Week 3, but he was a monster in the preseason, and the team loves him. He takes nearly every snap in the base defense, and comes off the field during most passing downs. The Ravens beat writers love the kid. He is first round talent, and productivity so far, but fell to the third round.

Ajayi is out for the year with injury. Up and down offseason. Bitterly disappointing early, and then looked very good in preseason game before going down.

Spaight is out for the year with injury.Had solid preseason (started one game). Concussion ended year. Sucks.

McBride is on the practice squad. (Titans WR roster is fair deep. Just didn't show enough).

Mbu is on the practice squad. (The team really liked him, but very deep DT pool for the Falcons).

Finney would probably have made the Steelers roster (he had a really solid preseason and was a second teamer) but got injured in the last series of the preseason, and was cut. Bad timing.

Notes: Been very happy to see the development of Tyrod Taylor with the Bills. He was my fifth rounder in the 2011 NFL Draft (the same draft as Kaepernick). I always thought he would turn out to be a good player in the right system, and he was never going to get his shot behind Flacco. He might flame out at any moment, but for now, was a great 5th round value.

Notes: Really happy for the Stanford DL duo of David Parry and Henry Anderson. I graded Anderson as a second round prospect, above Armstead, and think he has a really bright NFL career. He just posted a 1.1 grade for Week 3, and continues to look like a first round quality pick. Parry also has been able to transition well. I think both will progress as the year goes along.

Wouldn't Tyler Lockett look good on this team. He scores a TD on special teams about every other week, and he is getting play at WR, too. Trust your judgment when watching college football. Lockett was almost always the best player on the field in every college football game. That usually transitions to success in the NFL.

From that disastrous 2012 NFL draft for the Niners, I have a few guys still looking great. It certainly was not Peter Konz, who has been a bust. Mo Sanu has been a really solid contributor as the number two/three WR for the Bengals. But, the best of the group has been Malik Jackson, who I grabbed in the 5th round. Really terrific talent for the Broncos. Hoping to see if Vick Ballard can shake off injuries and make another run next year for the Colts or another team. Brandon Thompson is rotational DT for the Bengals. Nothing compared to my 2011 draft with Watt, Hudson, T. Taylor, but still some guys making major contributions.

1. Vic Beasley- going to be a monster for the Falcons. Simply too fast for LT's to win against. He has to gain strength, but the sky is the limit for him. Matched up against two very good LT's this year in Peters and Smith. Will get some numbers against less elite LT's.

2. Kevin White- On the PUP list. Can't wait to see what he can do once healthy. In the end, I see him as the Julio Jones to the AJ Green, where Jones eventually leapfrogs a stud in Green as the best from the class.

3. Amari Cooper- A no-brainer. Such a great pro already. Could easily emerge as the best player from this class. Impact right away. Got to love the direction of the Raiders, even though I hate the team. Smart picks in Carr, Mack (my number one best player in the 2014 draft), and Cooper already turning around the franchise.

I was dead-on with my analysis of Washington G Brandon Scherff. Watched a ton of games with him last year, and noted there was no way he could be a tackle in this league. Guard was always home for him. The Redskins seemed surprised he couldn't handle OT duties, so they shifted him inside. Not sure why they didn't see the same things I saw in college games.

Crapped by pants on the evaluation of Cards' OT DJ Humphries, who I had as the best OT in this draft. Had every opportunity to start at RT this year, his laziness has him benched. Fire in the belly is never overrated. Maybe he can turn it around.

Had Mariota as the best QB from this class, and Winston outside my top 50 picks. I like what I see from Mariota, and probably should have graded him higher going into the draft. He looks like a keeper so far. Meanwhile. Winston struggled against the Texans, who didn't record a sack, and didn't hit him that much (someone has to step up and help JJ, who is doubled on nearly every down).

In the end, the draft is part science, part hunch, and part witchcraft. GMs get great praise one day, and then are handed walking papers a few years later (hint: Baalke). The brightest minds flame out, and that is maybe the beauty of it: The unpredictable nature, the elusiveness to become proficient at player analysis.

Good stuff maddog! Did you have us grabbing any QBs since Kap? Anything that would be an upgrade over our current backup situation?
Yea I wasn't too hypre about Cooper but I was dead wrong. And Anderson has been nasty for the Colts

Good drop

Erving hasnt played a single snap yet? How good can he possibly look?
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Good stuff maddog! Did you have us grabbing any QBs since Kap? Anything that would be an upgrade over our current backup situation?

In 2011, I drafted Tyrod Taylor. The only QB since was Aaron Murray in the 4th a couple years ago. I think Chase Daniels is going to get a shot next year, so Murray will probably be the number 2 in KC next year.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Preseason. Trade M. Martin, Levey and Pears and a pair of pants for him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Actually he has played some snaps, but very few. He is behind 2 great experienced NFL vets, He played in the pre-season, and I've followed the Browns beat writers who are very high on him.

Yeah its pretty fun to see how players work out.

I'm not surprised at all by Vic Beasley. I mean I am partial to Clemson as they have been one of my favorite teams to watch the last few years.

Amari Cooper . I don't know how many Raiders games people have seen, but the dude is KILLING it. I don't even know what the stats are, but he is constantly beating coverage. Guy is legit. If Carr improves, Cooper is a lock for a 1000 yard reciever for some years.

Dorsett got a chance to show off some of his speed last game, probably won't see much action this year though. But man the Colts future recieving core looks great. Moncrief, Hilton, Dorsett.
Share 49ersWebzone