LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

2016 Draft Picks

Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Millard will likely play more of a pure FB role IMO.
Really? How can they even justify having him on the roster if he's just going to be a traditional FB? I thought he had "Delaine" written all over him.

Agree.

He has a lot of talents - plural - and I think [hope] they get creative w/him.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Right now OTC(OverTheCap.com, not our OTC here) has us at 3, a 4th, 5th, and 6th.

4th for Cully, 5th for Cox, and 6th for Skuta.

They also count Josh Johnson as a lose, even though he signed a vet minimum deal, will depend on how much he plays, and if he even makes the Bengals roster.

Iupati and Smith cancel each other out.

Bellore, Pears, and Wright cancel out Crabs, Gore, and Josh Johnson.

And correct Bush, Dockett, Simpson, and Wheeler don't count as they were either cut or out of football in 2014.
Thanks for the clarification! Was bugging me all day.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jogr49:
After this draft, the competence of this entire staff is in question.

Been that way for a few years now.
Originally posted by REB4:
In a way, this was very much like a Scot McCloughan draft...head-scratching is the initial reaction, but 2-3 years down the road you start to see the impact of their contributions.

Arik Armstead - Likely inactive a lot in 2015, but should anchor the LDE position for years to come.
Jaquiski "Pop" Tartt - Special teamer now, but could be the eventual starter next to Reid with size, speed and athleticism
Eli Harold - Could be an excellent nickel pass rusher or eventual starter should Aldon/Lynch regress
Blake Bell - Love his size at the TE position and could be a match-up nightmare
Mike Davis - LOVE THIS PICK. Reminds me a lot of Gore and think he's an ideal compliment to Hyde
DeAndre Smelter - LOVE THIS PICK EVEN MORE. IMO, potential #1 talent once healthy. Major steal here
The punter - No comment
Ian Silberman - ???
Trenton Brown - If he can keep his weight in check, has the potential to be a dominating o-lineman
Rory "Busta" Anderson - Great height/speed combo at TE; could be a major steal if he can develop and stay healthy

Clearly it all depends on how they develop, but there is absolutely no doubt that they drafted a ton of talent with the common themes of size, speed and ability.
Respect your posts, but have to just point out that your comments on our top 3 picks all have qualifiers of could/should. That's a lot of maybe/possibly/hopefully wishful thinking. Unless they are QBs, the top 3 picks are supposed to be guys that are ready to help/compete RIGHT NOW! We have holes RIGHT NOW at WR, CB, OL, ILB. If this was a top elite team, then it can afford to draft guys that are would/could/should help you at some point in the future. But those types of projects need to be drafted in later rounds.This isn't a top elite team anymore.

Anyone who speaks about the draft in terms of "certainties" is either delusional, ignorant, uninformed or all of the above. NOBODY knows what any of these guys will do for certain, ever. That's the nature of the draft whether it be football, baseball, basketball, chess, tag or marbles. Also, what you call "projects" are what other people call "system fits."

IMO, teams get into trouble when they chase after needs in the draft...it often leads to getting guys who might fill a hole today all while passing on guys who you've graded as better football players who could end up being stars in your system down the road. I liken it to companies who cut corners in order to meet their short-term quarterly numbers, sacrificing more sustainable practices and negatively impacting their long-term health and viability. Short-term sugar highs as opposed to lesser-tasting-but-much-healthier fruits and veggies is another way of looking at it.

It definitely takes discipline to stay true to your vision and do the right things for your long-term viability (see Jeff Bezos as an example of this)...it's also very often mistaken for hubris or incompetence.

Anyway, that's my take.
Great evaluation of the overall scheme of things,some guys don`t see that chasing after need and missing out on a better player that you can stash and let them grow,is for the long term and Not waht some people want,instant-gratification.
Share 49ersWebzone