So it appears that we will have the following:
1st-1
2nd-1
3rd-1
4th-1
5th-2 *Includes Sand Diego's pick
6th-2 *Includes Dallas' pick
7th-1

That makes 9 picks without even considering our Comp picks which I've read should be good and bountiful. Guess we will be maxed out.
After this draft, the competence of this entire staff is in question.
^ nothing to do with this thread.

Yeah an extra 5 and extra 6 plus should have a 4th or 5th round comp. Maybe a 7th too.

I put this in another thread but it fits here too:

1. WR - It depends on if boldin leaves and how Patton/Ellington play and what they think of Smelter.
2. TE - If vernon is gone it could be a big need depending on how McDonald, Bell and Carrier do.
3. G - Boone likely gone can the guys who dont win LG this year take over (say Thomas LG, then Martin/Looney/Brown)
4. ILB - Ideally we upgrade over Wilhoite but he's likely here long term at least as a backup. How do Wheeler/Bishop do? Need a #3/2?
5. CB - Depends on how all these young guys play.

Could be needs but probably mid to lower rounds if at all: RB, FB, QB?, OLB, S, DL?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 2, 2015 at 4:27 PM ]
Originally posted by jogr49:

In a way, this was very much like a Scot McCloughan draft...head-scratching is the initial reaction, but 2-3 years down the road you start to see the impact of their contributions.

Arik Armstead - Likely inactive a lot in 2015, but should anchor the LDE position for years to come.
Jaquiski "Pop" Tartt - Special teamer now, but could be the eventual starter next to Reid with size, speed and athleticism
Eli Harold - Could be an excellent nickel pass rusher or eventual starter should Aldon/Lynch regress
Blake Bell - Love his size at the TE position and could be a match-up nightmare
Mike Davis - LOVE THIS PICK. Reminds me a lot of Gore and think he's an ideal compliment to Hyde
DeAndre Smelter - LOVE THIS PICK EVEN MORE. IMO, potential #1 talent once healthy. Major steal here
The punter - No comment
Ian Silberman - ???
Trenton Brown - If he can keep his weight in check, has the potential to be a dominating o-lineman
Rory "Busta" Anderson - Great height/speed combo at TE; could be a major steal if he can develop and stay healthy

Clearly it all depends on how they develop, but there is absolutely no doubt that they drafted a ton of talent with the common themes of size, speed and ability.
The only 1 I question is Busta Anderson. we have Davis and Mcdonald. We have 4th rounder Bell. We also have last years H-back drafted that we redshirted. Add to that Carrier and others who probably won't make the team unless there are injuries I just don't see a roster spot available.

Since no kicker was drafted I would have liked to draft the best kicker in the draft and have him compete to replace Dawson and save us a fortune in cap space
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The only 1 I question is Busta Anderson. we have Davis and Mcdonald. We have 4th rounder Bell. We also have last years H-back drafted that we redshirted. Add to that Carrier and others who probably won't make the team unless there are injuries I just don't see a roster spot available.

Since no kicker was drafted I would have liked to draft the best kicker in the draft and have him compete to replace Dawson and save us a fortune in cap space

You gotta figure Busta will be a practice--squadder this year, getting him ready to compete for a spot once Vernon leaves in 2016. Millard will likely play more of a pure FB role IMO.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Millard will likely play more of a pure FB role IMO.
Really? How can they even justify having him on the roster if he's just going to be a traditional FB? I thought he had "Delaine" written all over him.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Millard will likely play more of a pure FB role IMO.
Really? How can they even justify having him on the roster if he's just going to be a traditional FB? I thought he had "Delaine" written all over him.

I'm not the final authority on this, it was just an opinion, but FB is actually a critical position on this team. Look at how important Miller has been over the last few years...Millard is a way better athlete and could make an even bigger impact than Miller so I wouldn't minimize it.
I'm not the final authority on this, it was just an opinion, but FB is actually a critical position on this team. Look at how important Miller has been over the last few years...Millard is a way better athlete and could make an even bigger impact than Miller so I wouldn't minimize it.
Well, I did appreciate your perspective. It's just, could you envision them both being on the roster at the same time? Bruce is under contract for three more years with most of his money guaranteed, so I'd be surprised if they replaced him. Millard's highlights are so dynamic though, I see what you mean... I just doubt he could block as well as Miller.
Originally posted by jogr49:

In a way, this was very much like a Scot McCloughan draft...head-scratching is the initial reaction, but 2-3 years down the road you start to see the impact of their contributions.

Arik Armstead - Likely inactive a lot in 2015, but should anchor the LDE position for years to come.
Jaquiski "Pop" Tartt - Special teamer now, but could be the eventual starter next to Reid with size, speed and athleticism
Eli Harold - Could be an excellent nickel pass rusher or eventual starter should Aldon/Lynch regress
Mike Davis - LOVE THIS PICK. Reminds me a lot of Gore and think he's an ideal compliment to Hyde
DeAndre Smelter - LOVE THIS PICK EVEN MORE. IMO, potential #1 talent once healthy. Major steal here
The punter - No comment
Ian Silberman - ???
Trenton Brown - If he can keep his weight in check, has the potential to be a dominating o-lineman
Rory "Busta" Anderson - Great height/speed combo at TE; could be a major steal if he can develop and stay healthy

Clearly it all depends on how they develop, but there is absolutely no doubt that they drafted a ton of talent with the common themes of size, speed and ability.

I don't quite understand 2 TEs, we just gave Carrier a $400K bonus on a 2yr extension, we have former 2nd rd pick McDonald, and Vernon, plus Celek re-signed, plus we have Asante Cleveland and Xavier Grimble under contract, now we have 8 TEs on the roster, 9 if you count Kyle Nelson.

I love the Harold, Davis, and Smelter picks. I think Brown can beat out Looney for a spot, I've never been impressed by Looney.

I don't get Tartt in the 2nd, we needed an ILB more than a SS. Does this mean we have no faith in Ward, who is a SS.

Armstead is a risky 1st rd pick, when if Justin retires, he may have to play year 1.

A Punter? Why? Andy Lee is still good, sure he cots $2.5M, but only $500K is guaranteed in that, so maybe they cut him, which idk if is smart.

Nice haul for next year even without the comp picks. I wonder if Baalke will make a move up to get an impact player. We certainly will have plenty of picks to work with. I am really going to miss have two All-Pro's on the inside.
  • REB4

The punter - No comment
Ian Silberman - ???

Respect your posts, but have to just point out that your comments on our top 3 picks all have qualifiers of could/should. That's a lot of maybe/possibly/hopefully wishful thinking. Unless they are QBs, the top 3 picks are supposed to be guys that are ready to help/compete RIGHT NOW! We have holes RIGHT NOW at WR, CB, OL, ILB. If this was a top elite team, then it can afford to draft guys that are would/could/should help you at some point in the future. But those types of projects need to be drafted in later rounds.This isn't a top elite team anymore.
According to Matt Maiocco, we should be getting 3 comps for 2016. A 4th, 5th, and 6th.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-pick-another-2016-draft-pick-trade-cowboys
hahahaha scumbag Walter Football has us picking 4th overall:

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/49ersb_logo.gif

San Francisco 49ers: Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Missimage: http://walterfootball.com/college/Mississippi_logo.gif

2015 NFL Mock Draft Pick (as of 4/30): Arik Armstead, DE/DT

The 49ers miss out on the top three receivers in my 2015 NFL Mock Draft, but given that they're sure to have a much worse record this upcoming season, they might be able to nab Laquon Treadwell, who would be the consensus No. 1 wideout in the class if it weren't for a knee injury he sustained late last year. Still, Treadwell has an entire year to rehab his injury, and if he has a dominant 2015 campaign, he could end up being a top-five selection. Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php#0wZ3qmTmXcd9MVV2.99
Originally posted by REB4:
Respect your posts, but have to just point out that your comments on our top 3 picks all have qualifiers of could/should. That's a lot of maybe/possibly/hopefully wishful thinking. Unless they are QBs, the top 3 picks are supposed to be guys that are ready to help/compete RIGHT NOW! We have holes RIGHT NOW at WR, CB, OL, ILB. If this was a top elite team, then it can afford to draft guys that are would/could/should help you at some point in the future. But those types of projects need to be drafted in later rounds.This isn't a top elite team anymore.

The qualifiers are on account of Ghost understands the draft. Incidentally, where does it say that the top three picks are supposed to be contributors? You haven't picked up on the way Baalke drafts.
Share 49ersWebzone