LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

49ers Draft Grade

49ers Draft Grade

What grade do you give the 49ers draft?
B
D
D only because I'm a fan.....

In a draft with a ton of talent we missed way too often and failed to address key needs including ILB and CB
[ Edited by aclarke49 on May 2, 2015 at 3:51 PM ]
C+

Need to see AA be worth that pick, and that punter....
  • Tman
  • Veteran
C-
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
D+
If that was going by the "board" us fans deserve much better. Reaches, projects and punters oh my!
For some, nothing this team ever does is good. Ever. I am not saying this is Baalke's shining moment, but this wasn't a bad draft. There are some really good players (3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th rounders) and some guys with a lot of talent (1st and 2nd). A few questions here and there, but these aren't bad picks. People complained about about Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald and Baalke got guys to come in and compete. People wanted Craig Dahl gone, and Baalke went out and got a potential replacement. We got a plug and play RB. We have added to our pass rush. Brought in more depth at O-line to replace the departed Mike Iupati. We have a VERY good receiver to look forward to in 2016. A guy that can potentially start in the 4th round. I think the big play potential on both sides of the ball has gone up. With the offense, it's a result of free agency, and with the defense, it's a result of the draft.
F+

C-

There's things I liked. The 4th round saved it from being a much lower grade. But too many head scratching picks that I don't think will pan out when there were really good prospects available that I think will really contribute to their teams.
I'm giving it a B.

The only real head-scratcher was the punter, but if he's really good in camp we can save some money going with him over Lee.

I didn't want Armstead but I don't think he was a bad pick based on potential.

CB wasn't nearly as big of a need as people think. We have Brock, Johnson, Ward, Cook, Wright, Acker, and Reaser. I don't think anyone picked after Peters could've bumped any of those guys off the roster. I would've liked to have seen Ifo picked to stash on IR but we've seen how that can work out with Lattimore.

It would've been nice to get an ILB but Im comfortable with Bowman, Wilhoite, Wheeler, Moody, Skov, and Bishop.

There's maybe 5-7 rookies that were in this draft that would have started for us.
D+. Didn't address needs, and I feel they reached on quite a few picks. Very inconsistant draft! Time will tell how we did...
A solid B. They addressed needs, future and present, a lot of people will criticize them because the needs perceived by fans were different than the needs perceived by the team. This was a draft where they brought in a lot of raw players that they feel can be coached up to their full potential, lots of intriguing talent, from Armstead who has the potential to be a monster, Tartt who could be the starting strong safety in a short time, who has been compared to Landon Collins but having a higher ceiling, you have Eli Harold, a young, super athletic pass rusher, they added some depth on the OL, some guys who will compete for roster spots, a terrific pick of Mike Davis at RB, they added a WR for the future in Smelter, a TE prospect with a whole of upside, a replacement for Andy Lee which will better allow them to re-sign players in the future, all in all, a solid effort, lots of raw talent for the coaches to work with.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM ]
D

I'm not one to generally give too much or too little credit to a team after a draft, but based on perceived value I thought Baalke & Co were atrocious this year.

First off, I'm not a fan of Armstead. Sure he MIGHT become a good, hell even great, player but he's got an incredibly long way to go and if the 49ers wanted a tall, long, athletic project then they have one on the roster - his name is Lawerence Okoye and he looked pretty damn good last year towards the end of the preseason. More alarming are the concerns over this kids heart. I have a bad feeling this guy will be much more like Kentwan Balmer than Richard Seymour. Not only that, but DL is one of the deepest positions on the team, even if Smith doesn't come back, so not only was he far from BPA but it doesn't come close to filling a need.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the 2nd round pick, but unless everyone in the NFL had Tartt as the 2nd coming of Kam Chancellor I'm going to say this was maybe the biggest reach of the draft. I think S is a big need for the team b/c I don't see Bethea staying past this year and Reid is potentially one more concussion from hanging it up. But with guys like Perryman and Rowe going right after this one was a total head scratcher.

Harold is the one pick I like. He reminds me of Bruce Irvin and by all accounts plays hard and is a leader. With Brooks likely gone before training camp he also gives us more depth. OLB is by far the strongest position on the team.

The entire 4th round was a huge debacle for me. Blake Bell?!? A former QB with one year at TE experience and not particularly impressive measurables was worth a 4th rounder? To me thats a 6th or 7th round pick at best. The 49ers would have been best served taking the Bell pick and trading for a 2016 3rd rounder. Mike Davis is intriguing and Smelter has potential, but it's just that - potential.

The rest of the picks seem like throw aways. Andy Lee is signed through 2018 so unless the 49ers want to part ways with his $2.5-3M salary over the next couple years the P pick is mind numbing. Then a couple OLs with serious limitations.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but right now this draft looks as bad if not worse than the dreaded 2012 draft.
Share 49ersWebzone