There are 226 users in the forums

OTC's Best Available Board Top 100: Day Three

Another draft day is in the books and a few surprises, some reaches, some steals here and there, but overall nothing too-too far out of the ordinary. I know the draft has been less than thrilling for most 49ers fans, but it's obvious the team is full-blown planning for the future. The picks have all been of the "solid-but-unexciting" variety, which while disappointing is not terribly surprising. In the past, this has been somewhat of Baalke's style. I wouldn't fret too much folks because it's still early, and tomorrow will be busy for the 49ers early. Plenty of talent left to acquire. Below you will find the Top 100 remaining players on my overall best prospect board, which includes their original ranking on my Big Board. But first, a few notes.

1. Several players that I graded very lowly compared to the media hype machine are still yet to be selected. Notables: T.J. Clemmings (4th round grade and not among my top 10 OTs in this class) and Jay Ajayi (9th out of my top 10 RBs)

2. At this point, the indications are that the Niners are very confident in Patton and Ellington going into 2015. While Boldin may not return in 2016, Patton and Ellington's performances this season may be enough to make WR a non-need going into 2016. I still think we take a WR at some point to add competition and for insurance.

3. Carl Davis - At this point I think most of us can say there must have been a lot of truth to the interview flunking report because a guy as unblockable as him one-on-one would've never made it to where he did if he had aced those interviews. Ravens got themselves a major steal.

4. Eli Harold - Another guy who people though would crack the 1st round. I didn't see it, and graded him a late 3rd rounder. I actually had a hunch we might target his teammate, sophomore Max Valles (we still might), but Harold is another guy who won't be needed right away, but will have time to develop. He does need to develop a LOT of areas, but he's just scratching the surface. I do think being in the Tomsula training academy will help, and being implemented more in stunts in our scheme as opposed to taking on OTs constantly will help him look better.

5. What will the 49ers do now? The team scouted a LOT of WRs and CBs. I think we should expect at least one of each tomorrow, hopefully in the 4th. I personally would like to see the team do more to try to fortify the OL and add competition there. Perhaps they are the ones that take Clemmings. He's a perfect value in the 4th and comes with upside to work with. Tre' Jackson is falling some due to medical, but none of us knows the severity there. If it's not too bad, Jackson would be another big value in the 4th.

2015 NFL Draft BPA Board
OTC's Top Remaining 100 Prospects
Pick Player Position School
41 Grady Jarrett DT Clemson
45 Tre Jackson OG Florida State
47 Trey Flowers DE/OLB Arkansas
65 James Sample S Louisville
70 Marcus Hardison DE Arizona State
75 Dres Anderson WR Utah
77 Javorius Allen RB USC
78 Rashad Greene WR Florida State
81 Justin Hardy WR East Carolina
82 Mike Bennett DT Ohio State
84 Tre McBride WR William & Mary
88 Anthony Chickillo DE Miami
92 Josh Shaw CB USC
93 TJ Clemmings OT Pittsburgh
95 Jeremy Langford RB Michigan State
96 BJ Finney C Kansas State
98 Jay Ajayi RB Boise State
99 Doran Grant CB Ohio State
100 Shaquille Mason C/OG Georgia Tech
101 Brett Hundley QB UCLA
102 Martrell Spaight LB Arkansas
103 Bobby Richardson DT Indiana
104 Clayton Geathers SS UCF
105 Andrew Donnal OT/OG Iowa
106 Za'Darius Smith DE Kentucky
107 Bryce Petty QB Baylor
109 Kwon Alexander LB/SS LSU
110 Jamil Douglas OG Arizona St
111 Arie Kouandjio OG Alabama
116 Christian Covington DT Rice
117 Cody Prewitt FS Mississippi
118 Derron Smith FS Fresno St
119 Mike Davis RB South Carolina
121 Ibraheim Campbell SS Northwestern
122 Ramik Wilson ILB Georgia
123 Stefon Diggs WR Maryland
124 Max Valles OLB Virginia
125 Corey Robinson OT South Carolina
126 Tyrus Thompson OT Oklahoma
127 Gerod Holliman FS Louisville
128 Nick O'Leary TE Florida St
129 Rakeem Nunez-Roches DT Southern Miss
130 Gabe Wright DT Auburn
131 Andy Gallik C Boston College
132 David Cobb RB Minnesota
133 Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon
134 Kurtis Drummond FS Michigan St
135 Blake Bell TE Oklahoma
136 Jesse James TE Penn State
137 Anthony Harris S Virginia
138 Jake Ryan ILB Michigan
139 Jamison Crowder WR Duke
140 David Parry DT Stanford
141 Taiwan Jones ILB Michigan State
142 Wes Saxton TE South Alabama
143 Sean Hickey OT/OG Syracuse
144 Mario Alford WR West Virginia
145 Josh Robinson RB Mississippi State
147 Davis Tull OLB Chattanooga
148 Ben Heeney ILB Kansas
149 Shaquille Riddick OLB West Virginia
150 Leterrius Walton DT Central Michigan
151 Damien Wilson ILB Minnesota
152 Corey Crawford DE Clemson
153 Deontay Greenberry WR Houston
154 Jarvis Harrison OG Texas A&M
155 Rannell Hall WR UCF
156 Darren Waller WR Georgia Tech
157 Zach Hodges OLB Harvard
158 Titus Davis WR Central Michigan
159 Vince Mayle WR Washington State
160 Bryce Hager ILB Baylor
161 Kenny Bell WR Nebraska
163 Karlos Williams RB Florida St
164 Kevin White CB TCU
165 Kyle Emanunel DE/OLB North Dakota State
166 Tyeler Davison DT Fresno St
167 Blake Bell TE Oklahoma
168 Louis Trinca-Pasat DT Iowa
169 Ryan Russell DE/OLB Purdue
170 Justin Coleman CB Tennessee
171 Cashaud Lyons DE Tusculum
172 Cedric Reed DE Texas
173 Jordan Taylor WR Rice
174 Tony Lippett WR Michigan State
176 Cameron Artis-Payne RB Auburn
177 Austin Shepherd OG Alabama
179 Bobby McCain CB Memphis
180 Hayes Pullard ILB USC
181 Daryl Roberts CB Marshall
182 Quayeshawn Buckley DT Idaho
183 Quinton Spain OG/OT West Virginia
184 Terrence Magee RB LSU
185 Obum Gwacham DE/OLB Oregon State
186 Joey Mbu DT Houston
187 Chris Hackett S TCU
188 Derrick Lott DT Chattanooga
189 Kaleb Eulls DE Mississippi St
190 Robert Myers OG/OT Tennessee State
191 Xzavier Dickson OLB Alabama
192 Damian Swann CB Georgia
193 Mike Hull OLB Penn State
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM ]
Doran Grant, Josh Shaw, David Parry, Justin Hardy, Mike Davis, Jamil Douglas, Ifo Ekpre-Olumu, Mario Alford, Jake Ryan, those are all names that jump out at me.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 1, 2015 at 10:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Doran Grant, Josh Shaw, David Parry, Justin Hardy, Jamil Douglas, Ekpre-Olumu, Mario Alford, Jake Ryan, those are all names that jump out at me.

Plenty of talent left on the board. I understand the "Webzone way" in that it's the perfect time to panic before the draft is even halfway through (nevermind the fact that the team has 7 picks still left to utilize), but we're in good position to get some contributors. The more players you have in camp, the more chance someone surprises and earns a shot. For me, I'd like the team to target WR, CB, and OL.

CB: Shaw/Grant/Ekpre-Olomu/Roberts
WR: Anderson/Greene/Hardy/McBride
OL: Jackson/Clemmings/Finney/Shaq Mason/Donnal

(Side note: I would not rule out the team taking one of the top remaining QBs)
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Doran Grant, Josh Shaw, David Parry, Justin Hardy, Jamil Douglas, Ekpre-Olumu, Mario Alford, Jake Ryan, those are all names that jump out at me.

Plenty of talent left on the board. I understand the "Webzone way" in that it's the perfect time to panic before the draft is even halfway through (nevermind the fact that the team has 7 picks still left to utilize), but we're in good position to get some contributors. The more players you have in camp, the more chance someone surprises and earns a shot. For me, I'd like the team to target WR, CB, and OL.

Those CBs all sound great. I think I like Grant the best, but they all have talent. I admit I know nothing about the remaining WRs. Are any of them or the remaining RBs able to be KR/PRs? I would like to see more competition with Ellington.

Along with a RB, I would love to see us grab O'Leary or James at TE. I hope for a bounce back from Vernon, but McDonald has been disappointing and Carrier is still a little raw.
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Those CBs all sound great. I think I like Grant the best, but they all have talent. I admit I know nothing about the remaining WRs. Are any of them or the remaining RBs able to be KR/PRs? I would like to see more competition with Ellington.

Along with a RB, I would love to see us grab O'Leary or James at TE. I hope for a bounce back from Vernon, but McDonald has been disappointing and Carrier is still a little raw.

McBride is the only one with both KR and PR experience, but the others have fielded punts before. Niners have looked at some special teams/returner types among the prospects that are unlikely to get drafted, like Marcus Murphy for example. We might take one very late, or try to pluck one for competition in the undrafted free agent pool.

Not sure how much TE is in the mix, but a tall red-zone threat would be nice. Wouldn't mind Jesse James or Blake Bell later on. A player who I think some teams are looking at as a TE, Darren Waller, I think is very much on the 49ers radar, but they specifically spoke to him about being a WR. Dez Lewis (Central Arkansas) and Jordan Taylor (Rice) are other options for taller WR targets.
If Brett Hundley is still on the board at #117 I think we should draft him. It's pretty much a freebie considering we didn't have that pick at the start of the draft, and the kid has a ton of potential. Yes, he's raw and has some pocket-awareness issues, but he could sit and learn the NFL game for at least a few years before he's ready to challenge Kap. Low risk, potential high-reward pick right there.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If Brett Hundley is still on the board at #117 I think we should draft him. It's pretty much a freebie considering we didn't have that pick at the start of the draft, and the kid has a ton of potential. Yes, he's raw and has some pocket-awareness issues, but he could sit and learn the NFL game for at least a few years before he's ready to challenge Kap. Low risk, potential high-reward pick right there.

I have no idea what Hundley is like, but it has been a frustration for me for some time that there has been no move to try to develop a youngster whilst we still have plenty of time. Even by the "QB whisperer". Having no confidence in Gabbert I would love to see some activity at QB.
Great work as usual, OTC, by the way. Nice to come into a thread with a calm conversation and no one calling for Baalke to be sacked
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If Brett Hundley is still on the board at #117 I think we should draft him.

Hundley is not an NFL-caliber QB IMO. It's gotta be Bryce Petty or stick with Gabbert.
Doran Grant, Josh Shaw, David Parry, Justin Hardy, Mike Davis, Jamil Douglas, Ifo Ekpre-Olumu, Mario Alford, Jake Ryan, those are all names that jump out at me.

Would love to get Ifo. Adrian Amos would be a great pick too.

Can't believe Hardison is still on the board and Anderson went where we could have drafted him with our 3rd or even moved up relatively cheaply to the bottom of the 3rd to get him.

That is my real issue with the Armstead pick. To me, the talent combo of the first round CB/WR we could have gotten at 15 or 17 plus someone like Hardison/Anderson in the 4th (or by moving up with our 4th to a late 3rd) would have been a much better value and fit our immediate needs more than Armstead and whatever CB/WR we are likely to pick up in the 4th.
Clemmings or Tre Jackson or J. Harrison
Josh Shaw or Doran Grant or Ifo
Petty or Hundley
J. Allen or Langford
Robinson or Thompson
Mayle or Waller or Titus Davis or Smelter
Heeney or Tiawan Jones or Jake Ryan
Still lots of good choices!
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Can't believe Hardison is still on the board and Anderson went where we could have drafted him with our 3rd or even moved up relatively cheaply to the bottom of the 3rd to get him.

That is my real issue with the Armstead pick. To me, the talent combo of the first round CB/WR we could have gotten at 15 or 17 plus someone like Hardison/Anderson in the 4th (or by moving up with our 4th to a late 3rd) would have been a much better value and fit our immediate needs more than Armstead and whatever CB/WR we are likely to pick up in the 4th.

Its clear that the front office is looking long-term, and in that case, with Armstead you're talking about a guy with a much higher ceiling than Anderson.
What's the knock on Diggs? Seems like a great value at WR but I haven't had time to look into him more than YouTube deep?
Its clear that the front office is looking long-term, and in that case, with Armstead you're talking about a guy with a much higher ceiling than Anderson.

I agree with that. But I don't think the difference between Armstead and Anderson or Hardison is nearly as great as the difference between Johnson/Peters and the CBs we could get now, so for me Johnson or Peters and Hardison or Anderson would be a much better combo than Armstead and say Grant.

IMO, that would fill both our long term and short term needs with a higher combination of talent.
Share 49ersWebzone