LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Not watching any more of the 2015 draft

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Ok i vote ice cream party as we watch day 3 draft

Don't tempt me, I have a Baskin Robbins right next to an Einstein Bagels just down the street, will end up in a carb coma and sleep through the last couple of rounds.
Mmmmm bagels to oohhhh h*lls yea
  • Jiks
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Ok i vote ice cream party as we watch day 3 draft

Don't tempt me, I have a Baskin Robbins right next to an Einstein Bagels just down the street, will end up in a carb coma and sleep through the last couple of rounds.

[ Edited by JiksJuicy on May 1, 2015 at 10:48 PM ]
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Jaquiski Tartt...Best player available? Seriously? At pick 46.....Jaquiski Tartt was the BPA?

On their draft board, he very well might have been.

and there is the problem

He could have been BPA but these choices are far from impact choices. We have projects and 3rd stringers. Surely we could have done better than that
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

F**k.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
He could have been BPA but these choices are far from impact choices. We have projects and 3rd stringers. Surely we could have done better than that

Its not like they had a ton of spots where rookies could come in and start. The 49ers reportedly weren't impressed by any of the top ILB's in the draft, as far as CB goes, Baalke routinely seems to pull them out of his ass. No WR was going to start over Boldin and Smith, on a running team, there aren't many snaps to go around.

Basically, short of a guy like Erving, they were drafting for backups and depth at DL was essential, Armstead happened to be the second best DE in the draft and has a very high ceiling, with Smith on his way out, with Dockett up in years, with McDonald gonee, developing another potential replacement was a must, so that is what they did.
It's too painful.

I haven't been this disgusted with a draft in a very long time. It's like they are trying to ruin this team on purpose. It's like every pick is a panic move.

How about looking at the talent level on the roster...and upgrading where needed.....hmmm...like...ILB? WR? CB?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OneMoreRing:
It's too painful.

I haven't been this disgusted with a draft in a very long time. It's like they are trying to ruin this team on purpose. It's like every pick is a panic move.

How about looking at the talent level on the roster...and upgrading where needed.....hmmm...like...ILB? WR? CB?

So you suggest they draft positions of need rather than just draft the best player available, and you think taking the best player that falls to them is a panic move, as opposed to drafting for need. Hmm.

BPA? Hahhahah, don't make me laugh!! At 15th we could have had Melvin Gordon, so much for BPA huh?!
Originally posted by ivanm05:
People just become too consumed with perceptions and names .. I like.doing mocks and having my draft crushes but I never really get too involved that I become upset if they're not taken..if I some how hit on one or two a year then I think it's awesome but that's it.

Because what happens then is that you're judging the draft based on your own wants...how silly is that

I've long learned that these guys all know what they're doing. They study these players all years and construct meticulous boards and contingency plans...we watch a 5 minute video on YouTube and think the player is the second coming of such and such.... It's fun to do don't get me wrong but by no means should we use that add basis to judge draft picks...

I understand a lot of you wanted a wr today but d Smith was of the board... So was Dorial ... U could make the case for strong but maybe the wrist scared them away..

All I can recommend is too sit back and enjoy the show Don't get too caught up with your own wants because more than likely it's not gonna happen..

When Reid has.to miss a game because of a hamstring or whatever you'll be happy Tartt is on the field instead of Dahl... So don't trip.

Nice post.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

They were the best players available for the scheme we play in our GMs opinion.
[ Edited by Since07 on May 2, 2015 at 1:46 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
It's too painful.

I feel you, man. With a team and organization like the 9ers, you really have to learn how to distant yourself from it. The moment you care a tad too much about this team as in keeping taps with what's going on, personnel moves, drafts and so on, you will only be disgusted by it.

Let me tell you something, what has transpired from the firing of Harbaugh to the hiring of Tomsula, the most inept and unqualified head coach in NFL history to now the draft, it has been nothing but total disappointment.

I have learnt, just take things easy, let Baalke sink the ship and hopefully may be one day we can start afresh.

Just relax, I rather get more immersed into the Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight myself, there are other and better things in life that we can enjoy.

i dont watch the draft anymore but for different reasons. IT's too lame to watch on tv. Besides, the dumbass commish always seems to lag behind when the picks are in. The draft will be on its 40th pick, and goodell brings in his special guest, take his sweet time, and gives the longest introduction for his special guest. And the worst part is that special guest would announce the 36th pick, 4 picks behind schedule. It's WAAAAAAAAAAAY too slow for me. They need to really speed up the "announcement of picks" process in the draft. And stop with these goofy ass red carpet, special guest, opera wearing, celebrity gimmicks. The NBA draft is way more entertaining, faster, and much simpler. I can watch the nba draft all day.
I was like many when the names were called asking, "What the Hell is going on out there" (to quote Coach Lombardi). After taking a deep breath and doing some research it's not that bad. AA was picked by everyone going to the Niners, can they all be wrong? I knew nothing about Tartt till I found out he's a big hitter and was considered by some to be the best safety in the draft. Harold is a gift at three that was projected for the first round. He said after being selected he has a huge chip on his shoulder after being dissed.
It's too painful.

None of the picks have been panic picks. It is quite the opposite as you admit in your last paragraph.

Baalke drafts for the long term. You want him to panic pick, which makes your comment about panic moves ironic.

But if you don't want to watch the draft, fine. Don't.
I'm sorry but even though most of us aren't working as scouts or are draft gurus, the public can tell good talent vs projects.

I remember in 2012 when everyone was freaking out about the picks one after the other (expert for the 2nd round pick). Everyone was scratching their head as to why we went with a project, no name WR. People pulled up highlights and nothing jump out at you to say he was a 1st round pick. People tried to give excuses as to why he was a good 1st round pick and so on. Now we know we witnessed the worst draft in 49er history. Not a SINGLE player has produced for us. The ONLY guy here from that draft might not even make it this year.

People like to bring up Aldon Smith. Yes, I remember many were perplexed as why we took him and who he was, but you can tell immediately after watching highlights/film that he was going to be a beast of a pass rusher. The talent just jump at you. Also, we NEEDED a pass rusher badly. We knew he would come in and make an impact. We just didn't know how much.

This year people are scratching their heads as to why we took the picks we did when we have big holes to fill (specially on offense). Projects that don't jump out at you when watching highlights (specially the first pick!). Players that were not in divisions that were ultra competitive. Players that will not have much impact, if at all, this season because they were drafted where we actually have DEPTH this year. Yes, we should draft for the future but that should be with pick three and up. The first two picks should be guys that can help immediately or at least throughout the season when needed. Impact players. None of the players we drafted jump out as impact players.

What side of the ball have we struggled the most in the past couple of seasons? The offensive side. The offense was miserable last year. Almost as bad as the dark ages. Have we addressed this side with playmakers/impact players? OL to protect Keap? Nope. Not at all in this draft. I guess Balkee thinks we can win with field goals only. I think Balkee expects to get his offensive talent from the Ravens every year since he can't draft any talented/impact offensive players.

I'm sorry but I understand why people are hating this draft and Balkee. The products he is drafting are players that will not be contributing as much unless a few major injuries occur this year. Its good to draft for the future but not every f**king pick. Specially if your on the short leash and your boss wants Superbowls every year.

This is a make or break year for Balkee IMO. The roster is pretty much all his draftees and free agents. Let's see how good his drafting has been and if it can carry this team in 2015. He believes that the player talent is what drove us to success these past few years with Harbaugh. That the coaching wasn't the main reason as to why we made a turn around and made it to the Super Bowl. If we fail this year to make the playoffs then Balkee needs to be kicked out of the building immediately come November. If he succeeds then we all win and he can shut us up. Until then, I'm in the side of doubters about this draft and the whole process this year.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ivanm05:
People just become too consumed with perceptions and names .. I like.doing mocks and having my draft crushes but I never really get too involved that I become upset if they're not taken..if I some how hit on one or two a year then I think it's awesome but that's it.

Because what happens then is that you're judging the draft based on your own wants...how silly is that

I've long learned that these guys all know what they're doing. They study these players all years and construct meticulous boards and contingency plans...we watch a 5 minute video on YouTube and think the player is the second coming of such and such.... It's fun to do don't get me wrong but by no means should we use that add basis to judge draft picks...

I understand a lot of you wanted a wr today but d Smith was of the board... So was Dorial ... U could make the case for strong but maybe the wrist scared them away..

All I can recommend is too sit back and enjoy the show Don't get too caught up with your own wants because more than likely it's not gonna happen..

When Reid has.to miss a game because of a hamstring or whatever you'll be happy Tartt is on the field instead of Dahl... So don't trip.

Nice post.

Me too! Great post

People get their knickers in a twist in the draft when the team doesn't get "value" according to some draftnik's big board. Or they get them in a double twist when they DO pick whom everyone thought they'd pick (see Armstead, Arik). Then there's the draft crushes, and the bizarre situation when EVERY player who gets picked before we get to pick elicits a or from 2 or 3 people. It's not only the WRs in this year, though the toy throwing over DGB was extremely funny to see. What was even funnier was that during Round 3, pretty much EVERY single player who was picked before we got on the clock got an overventilating reaction from half the board. Oh, Duke Johnson, I wanted him. Oh, there goes Strong - angry smiley. Oh, no more Conley - I'm not watching any more of the draft! As if we could sign (and start) all those players, even if the other teams didn't get to pick too. It's beyond silly.

Now, I'm not saying that all our picks will pan out. We might hit a series of homers like in '11. Or strike out like no other time like in '12. Who knows? In '11 everyone started breathing into a paper bag when we picked Smith. OMG, a "reach"! My pills, now! That idiot Walter Football yelled at us because we didn't pick, wait for it, Gabbert. But in '12 everyone thought AJ Jenkins was a horrible pick, and he was. I'm not normally a rosy glasses person either. I actually expect us to finish around .500 again this year, which would suck. But the great fun of the draft is this eternal hope that all your picks will be Pro Bowlers, and that all our out-of-the-box "reaches" are in fact "steals". And most of all, I LOVE bizarre picks like Tartt. They make me think, "OK, now what was the team ACTUALLY thinking? Is he depth? Are we trying to move to the Big Nickel, and how? Is it better to get a really good strong safety than an iffy ILB?". I get to think schemes, go and READ about the player, but really read about him.

These are the things that make the draft interesting for me, not the half-arsed game theory of "steals" and "reaches" and "value" of the draft sites. Let's face it: as a spectacle the draft is beyond silly: a bunch of people in suits reading out names. A kind of bingo, only with added embarrassing man hugs on Goodell, and hearing the phrase "I'm blessed" 64 times per night. It's the pondering over what the picks might mean for my team's scheme that make it interesting for me.
Share 49ersWebzone