LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Round two draft strategy

I agree, Fischer looks good and he could eventually take over tackle responsibilities if need be.
Still hoping they go big and take Eddie Goldman...sure didn't think he'd slip out of the 1st rd. Even Malcolm Brown went 32nd to the Pats...who once again got great value with their 1st pick. Another 2nd rd thought...with the signing of Wheeler today, it could be a sign Baalke wants TE Clive Walford, most likely a 2nd rd pick. He can arguably still get his ILB in Dawson in the 3rd. In Walford, he could be Vernon's eventual replacement...a deft playmaker, he can also block. With the addition of more speed at the WR position, it should open up considerable space underneath for our TE's and Boldin to make a ton of plays.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Take Fisher at #46 or trade down into lower 2nd for either Devin Smith or Sammie Coates.
Originally posted by ntournahu:
I agree, Fischer looks good and he could eventually take over tackle responsibilities if need be.

He was a top performer in every speed based test among offensive lineman, including the vertical, so he's a great athlete. If he added some muscle he could even have some pro-bowl potential. He certainly has a big frame at 6'6.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
My best remaining(Next 32)

19 DE/OLB Randy Gregory*, Nebraska
20 SS Landon Collins*, Alabama
24 WR Dorial Green-Beckham*, Oklahoma
26 WR Jaelen Strong*, Arizona State
27 ILB Eric Kendricks, UCLA
30 RB Tevin Coleman*, Indiana
31 DT Carl Davis, Iowa
33 DT Jordan Phillps*, Oklahoma
35 OG A.J. Cann, South Carolina
37 DE Nate Orchard, Utah
38 DT Eddie Goldman*, Florida State
39 DT Michael Bennett, Ohio State
41 CB Jalen Collins, LSU
42 CB Quinten Rollins, Miami(Ohio)
43 OT Jake Fisher, Oregon
44 OT T.J. Clemmings, Pittsburgh
46 OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, Louisville
47 OLB Max Valles*, Virginia
48 OT Daryl Williams, Oklahoma
50 ILB Paul Dawson, TCU
51 QB Brett Hundley*, UCLA
52 WR/TE Devin Funchess*, Michigan
53 TE Maxx Williams*, Minnesota
54 TE Clive Walford, Miami(Fla.)
55 RB Jay Ajayi*, Boise State
56 RB Duke Johnson*, Miami(Fla.)
57 OLB Hau'oli Kiakaha, Washington
58 OLB Eli Harold*, Virginia
60 CB Eric Rowe, Utah
61 WR Devin Smith, Ohio State
62 FS Cody Prewitt, Ole Miss
63 RB Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska

Mine and all players we met with.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Still hoping they go big and take Eddie Goldman...sure didn't think he'd slip out of the 1st rd. Even Malcolm Brown went 32nd to the Pats...who once again got great value with their 1st pick. Another 2nd rd thought...with the signing of Wheeler today, it could be a sign Baalke wants TE Clive Walford, most likely a 2nd rd pick. He can arguably still get his ILB in Dawson in the 3rd. In Walford, he could be Vernon's eventual replacement...a deft playmaker, he can also block. With the addition of more speed at the WR position, it should open up considerable space underneath for our TE's and Boldin to make a ton of plays.

Can't believe he AND Carl Davis are still available. I called DGB would not be drafted in the 1st...projected him at 46 for us. We have additional ammunition to trade up now too if need be. Or trade back a bit and pick up more.
DGB/Devin Smith/Strong/Coates and Jalen Collins tomorrow.
If Devin Smith is there or close to 46 I guarantee we take him. I don't like it. Would rather trade up into round 2 have two 2s and take Gregory and either DGB, Strong or CB Jalen Collins.
The extra 4th rounder that we got in the Dago trade could really help us get another need/want player in round 2.

Our 2nd pick in the 4th would move us up 6 spots.
Our 1st pick in the 4th would move us up 8 spots.
Both 4th rounders would move us all the way up to the 2nd pick in round 2.

However, the other projected teams' needs and what is available, we will still have some great options. With the signing of Wheeler, I wonder if we still take a ILB which will be bountiful in round 2. There are also still several high quality CB's and RB's and a couple edge rushers. DGB and Strong are tempting at WR and the OT, Clemmings from PITT and Fisher from Oregon could be there.

We will get a fine quality selection in round two which can fit a need more than a want if needed.

Carl Davis and Armstead would be flat out sick. That seriously adds beef and athleticism to what we had to start 2014. McDonald and Smith albeit pretty darn good players were slightly undersized for a 3-4.
Originally posted by 9erz4Life:
If Devin Smith is there or close to 46 I guarantee we take him. I don't like it. Would rather trade up into round 2 have two 2s and take Gregory and either DGB, Strong or CB Jalen Collins.

If we somehow landed Gregory, DGB, and Collins tomorrow, I wouldn't even care how the rest went as long as we didn't give up a first next year. Maybe that extra 4th and Boone as trade bait could get it done.
Originally posted by 9erz4Life:

Gregory, from everything I've been reading, might keep falling and falling, at this point it seems he's likely to be there Saturday.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
If we somehow landed Gregory, DGB, and Collins tomorrow, I wouldn't even care how the rest went as long as we didn't give up a first next year. Maybe that extra 4th and Boone as trade bait could get it done.

DENZEL PERRYMAN
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Apr 30, 2015 at 9:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone