There are 219 users in the forums

2015 NFL Entry Draft Thread - Do NOT post the Pick before it's Announced

[ Edited by NJNiner on May 2, 2015 at 5:26 PM ]
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

My opinion is that every brilliant move Baalke has drafting (and he HAS had several), he also makes multiple mistakes by ignoring obvious choices. And eventually those mistakes come back to haunt us.

This is a lot of how I feel. And looking back at the last few drafts, it's easy to understand why. Since 2011, the draft so many consider Baalke's gem, we have seen him ignore seemingly obvious needs at CB, WR, and NT, and attempt to address other needs with picks that are reaches, position changes or injury specials.

Somehow he's gotten the reputation for being great on day 3. He certainly like to acquire extra day 3 picks. But how well has "Trader Trent" done when he has bucked the system with these "huh?" picks?

4th round picks from 2011 on:

2011 - Hunter - Solid player, but can't stay healthy - 4th round
Kilgore - Solid is a stretch, but he's servicable. Not a bust. - 5th round
Miller - Very good pick. 7th round position switch. Great value.
Rest of the draft - Johnson, Jones, Person, Holcomb 2 6ths, 2 7ths, all complete busts and off the team.

2012 - entire draft busts - 4th - Looney, closest thing to an NFL player. Flemming, Robinson, Slowey and Johnson (5th, 2 6th and 7th) are all gone and deservedly so.

2013 - Certainly no impact players so far. Just question marks or busts mostly.

4th Patton - Hard to tell. Some of us are optimistic, but has been up and down in limited playing time.
4th Lattimore - waste of a pick. Never played a down
5th Dial - flashes of potential, we will see
6th Moody - He's still on the team, I guess that's something.
7th Daniels - Not with the team. But not a terrible pick.
7th Bykowski - off team, waste of a pick
7th Cooper - off team, waste of a pick

A little early to judge 2014, especially when most of them haven't seen the field yet due to pre-existing or training camp/early season injuries.

4th Ellington - Again, some potential, but limited playing time, we will see.
4th Dontae Johnson - Showed some signs. I'm not as high as others, but he could have potential.
5th Aaron Lynch- Give credit where it is due. This guy looks like the real deal as long as he can stay healthy.
5th Keith Reaser- Injured
6th Kenneth Acker - Injured
7th Kaleb Ramsey - Injured
7th Trey Millard - Injured

So, the "genius" of Baalke on day 3 is Lynch and Miller. Those are the only two players to be better than average at best and/or guys with potential who have yet to put it together or be given the chance to play enough to know for sure. Everyone else is a bust, injured or TBD.

Are a few serviceable to solid at best depth players worth going against conventional wisdom and stocking up on picks late in rounds at positions of relative strength instead of staying put and/or trading up to try and get players who might have more of an impact at positions of need? Ever? This constant trading back and taking developmental, injured and/or position switch players does not seem to be yielding particularly great results.

This is what scares me about Baalke, he nails in free agency, and is average at the draft.

His best pick is Bowman from 2010, and even that wasn't fully his draft, since Scot McCoughan was there up until a month before the draft.

From 2011-2014, it's a tough choice, I love Aldon, except his off the field issues he has had, hoping he is done with them. Miller was a great 7th rd pick. Kap needs time to develop, he isn't a franchise QB yet, despite his pay, just because you're paid franchise QB money, doesn't make you elite.
Originally posted by bors:
We have to see what we have in Patton and Ellington....

This
Originally posted by NJNiner:

This

Agree as well. Looking forward to these guys getting an increased role. Add Torrey Smith to the mix, and we practically re-made our WR core already. Baalke must be high on these guys to not draft a WR who will contribute this year. Smelter was a great pick for the future.
So, the "genius" of Baalke on day 3 is Lynch and Miller. Those are the only two players to be better than average at best and/or guys with potential who have yet to put it together or be given the chance to play enough to know for sure. Everyone else is a bust, injured or TBD.

You have to take into account overall team strength and FAs. Taking Borland made the LB group perhaps the strongest in the NFL. Even with Borland's surprise retirement and Willis' less surprising retirement the group is still fairly strong. They played without Willis and Bowman last year and the defense was solid. Bowman is back and they have three or four guys to vie for the other ILB spot. None of them will make us forget Willis but great players retire every year in this league.

DL is a strong unit that is now deeper. The front seven should be very good. If J Smith comes back it could be much better than last year...subject to injuries.

DBs could be much better and with so many injuries last year we can only hope they establish starters and backups who can remain healthy. I believe they didn't draft a CB because no one in the draft was better than the four or five young guyes they already have. The took Tartt because they needed a big safety...one of the missing pieces after drafting Ward, who is more of a slot guy...though he's a tough little guy. With Reid, Ward and Tartt the niners have three 23 year old safeties for the future.

OL is in fairly good shape.

Backup QB will likely be handled by FAcy. Rookies seldom help much, especially late round guys.

RB is stocked and they added a good young one in Davis.

So my only reservation is with WR but they addressed that in FAcy with Smith and late round Smelter, who may be really good once healthy.
People do realize that 3-7 round picks don't generally develop into starters on most teams. Take a guy like Lemonier. If all he ever develops into is a depth player who plays on special teams that's not a bust. Those picks are about getting depth. If Aaron Lynch ends up a starter that's not a good pick that's an A+ pick.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
A complete train wreck. LOL.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

This

Agree as well. Looking forward to these guys getting an increased role. Add Torrey Smith to the mix, and we practically re-made our WR core already. Baalke must be high on these guys to not draft a WR who will contribute this year. Smelter was a great pick for the future.

It's was such b.s.. that we couldn't see what we had last year..that was all on the last staff.looking forward t o camp and pre season.also excited about the red rocket out of Utah..looking forward to our o line as well..pop tart need to see him on the field..do like the size we added this draft but I choose to be positive.would be real easy to throw in towel before season.but I can't do that...eli Harold.bring the heat..Armstead could be a monster
  • Jiks
Excited that we signed Dres Anderson. First and foremost, I admit I am a hardcore Utah Ute homer but here are my thoughts.

Good- Solid shifty route runner with good speed. Get's open a lot and can find the holes in zone matchups. Can make some amazing head scratching catches. Solid possession receiver as well. Uses blocks well and a decent YAC receiver. Adjust really well with the ball in the air. Good football IQ. "Win with class" type of guy. Decent size. Son of Flipper Anderson.

Bad- Infuriating how he can make the hardest catches but drops the easiest of passes as well. As I said, he get's open but it's pointless when he drops an easy slant route, out route, or deep ball. Often looks up field for the homerun instead of catch the ball. Had a knee injury last year which could hamper him. Disappears at times, but keep in mind Utah's passing games and QB's were dismal.

Overall- If he could just learn to catch the ball I could see him being a viable slot option. It will be hard for him to make the team, but I feel he has a chance with proper coaching and an actual QB. Again, he has a knack for getting open and hauling in big plays.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on May 2, 2015 at 10:56 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

This

We also have Simpson to evaluate.

Originally posted by Temecula49ersfan:
D. Walker mold?

They said "more of a WR being used at TE, but when youre an athletic TE, you have to catch the ball 9%% of the time, and he doesnt".

So we just drafted a very poor mans version of Vernon Davis.
Ah, I see now. It's Trenton Brown, OT from Florida. ESPN listed him as Trent Brown OG. That's why I couldn't find him at first.

6'9, 355 lbs.

And thats after he lost 21 lbs. between the Senior Bowl and the Combine. So he was 376 lbs.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Ah, I see now. It's Trenton Brown, OT from Florida. ESPN listed him as Trent Brown OG. That's why I couldn't find him at first.

6'9, 355 lbs.

And thats after he lost 21 lbs. between the Senior Bowl and the Combine. So he was 376 lbs.

Supersized Bubba Paris? LOL!
Originally posted by Niners99:
6'9, 355 lbs.

36" arms to go with that.........
Share 49ersWebzone