There are 136 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Final 2015 Mock Draft

I've been slacking, so here's my 11th hour summary. My mock draft has remained fairly similar for the past two months although a few of the players I was interested in seemingly have fallen out of draftable range.

Round 1-49ers trade down with the Bengals who move up for a pass rusher. 49ers trade Pick #15 for Picks #21, #85, #120 and #197.

Round 1-Pick-21-Kevin Johnson-CB-Wake Forest-6'0", 185 My favorite cornerback in this draft. He would be an instant starter for the 49ers, a pure coverage guy that needs to improve his tackling but has tremendous agility, moves his hips very well, sticks like glue in coverage. Johnson's movement and change of direction abilities are smooth like silk, character wise he's a gold star sort of guy, a natural leader, good height for the position, needs to add some bulk, all in all you could throw him in there right with Brock from the get-go.

Round 2-49ers trade up with the New York Giants. 49ers trade Picks #46 and 120 for Pick #40.

Round 2-Devin Smith-WR-Ohio State-6'0", 190 Torrey Smith is a great first step but I do think that the 49ers still need more speed at wide receiver. From Baalke's comments and actions, his ideal seems to be a ground out running offense with a strong playaction passing offense that can attack all area's of the field. Devin Smith is very raw but he is a certified speed merchant and a guy who can get downfield and make big plays. He's a difference maker on offense and another guy that teams will have to account for and worry about beating them over the top. Having receivers all over the place that could stretch defenses out would open up more space for Kaepernick and the running game to operate.

Round 3-Henry Anderson-DE-Stanford-6'6", 295 Anderson would come in and provide instant depth at DE, not to bring up the usual white guy cliche's but Anderson comes with an outstanding work ethic and a tremendous motor. Has the ideal build for a 3-4 DE, not someone who appears to be a potential star but I could see him being a quality starter in the NFL for a long time.

Round 3(Pick from Bengals)-Mike Davis-RB-South Carolina-5'9, 217. Baalke drafting a RB is pretty much as predictable as the sun rising, I think this is a good spot for Davis who I feel is pretty underrated at this point. Perhaps this time the 49ers will have much better luck with a South Carolina RB.

Round 4-Jake Ryan-ILB-Michigan-6'2", 240. Ryan is a torn ACL special, gotta have at least one of those in the draft. He's a high motor guy that would provide vital depth at ILB. Good reaction time and anticipation, another player that I feel is rather underrated.

Round 4(Comp Pick)-David Parry-NT-Stanford-6'1", 308. Going back to the Stanford well for the second time with Parry who is an interesting developmental prospect at NT. Could serve as a replacement for either Ian Williams or Glenn Dorsey down the road. Another very high motor guy, arms on the shorter side a bit but plays with good leverage, an interesting prospect at this point in the draft. Longtime backup that finally got a chance to start.

Round 5-Jamil Douglas-OG-Arizona State-6'4", 304. Good fit inside at the NFL level, a highly athletic lineman that could wind up being a very good fit for a zone blocking system should that be indeed what the 49ers are going to run.

Round 6-Cedric Thompson-FS-Minnesota-6'0", 205 Thompson provides well needed depth at safety and a potential replacement for Dahl. Could contribute on special teams and be a spot starter on defense as well. Good tackler, has shown the ability to stick in coverage with both faster and bigger receivers.

Round 6(Comp Pick)- Zach Wagenmann-DE/OLB-Montana-6'3", 247. Late round small school pass rushing prospect. High character, high motor guy, very quick feet, pretty raw and in need of coaching but could be useful as a situational pass rusher and special teams contributor.

Round 7(Bengals Pick)-Austin Hill-WR-Arizona-6'2", 214. This is a Hail Mary toss right here. Hill looked like an absolute stud prior to his injury, a very good possession receiver that was looked at as a 2nd or 3rd round guy if he had come out. This is a very low downside, high upside pick at this point. If Hill plays up to his potential, he could be someone to help replace Boldin after he retires. Great hands, a top notch competitor, plays with a chip on his shoulder, outstanding blocker as a wide receiver. You're making this pick basically hoping that Hill gets back to playing at his previous level.

Round 7-DeShazor Everett-CB-Texas A&M-5'11", 185 49ers already had a meeting with Everett, at this point in the draft he's worth a flyer and someone that they could potentially stash on the practice squad if needed. Very experienced player, could compete for a backup spot at CB or a spot on special teams.

7th Round(Comp Pick)-Hutson Mason-QB-Georgia-6'2", 210 Highly underrated QB IMO. No, I don't ever see him being a fulltime starter in the NFL but I think he's got the ability to make a nice living for himself being a good, reliable backup quarterback. The prototypical game manager type, backed up Aaron Murray at Georgia but everytime I watched him I liked how composed he was throwing from the pocket. Doesn't have a very strong arm but a calm, fundamentally sound passer with good leadership skills, he may not come in and win the game for you, but he's not a guy you should expect to turn it over a whole bunch either. Relatively inexperienced, could use development but someone that I could see lasting on this roster for a long time.

Only question is why no ILB?

I'd take Peters over Johnson but nothing to be bad about. I like both guys.

Good job
  • evil
  • Veteran
Love the KJ pick and really love the Mike Davis pick. Not saying it won't happen because it could...but the Bengals have traded up in the draft something like 4 times in their franchise history.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Good job

Round 4-Jake Ryan-ILB-Michigan-6'2", 240.

Peters I think might fall out of the 1st round entirely, just too much stuff that has come up in regards to his character and his willingness to be coached. Johnson is a good kid, a natural leader, a guy who likely won't result in the team having egg on their face and has top notch cover skills, very fluid.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:32 PM ]
Love the first 3 picks. Anderson is one of my draft crushes.

Really good call on Mike Davis.

Thanks!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Good job

Round 4-Jake Ryan-ILB-Michigan-6'2", 240.

Peters I think might fall out of the 1st round entirely, just too much stuff that has come up in regards to his character and his willingness to be coached. Johnson is a good kid, a natural leader, a guy who likely won't result in the team having egg on their face and has top notch cover skills, very fluid.

I'm guessing he means someone who will play this year when we need an ILB. The post kind of makes it sound like Ryan is a redshirt ACL special.

But he tore his ACL last year and played this year. Change that pick to Taiwan Jones, who the Niners have met with and I think they might be targeting if they don't go ILB earlier, and I'd be very happy with this draft.

I really like the Everett pick as well. He's someone I also strongly suspect we may draft late or sign as a UDFA.
[ Edited by TexasNiner on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:01 PM ]
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I'm guessing he means someone who will play this year when we need an ILB. The post kind of makes it sound like Ryan is a redshirt ACL special.

Yes, I should have noted that Ryan has already recovered from his ACL injury.

As far as Jones and Ryan go, I'd definitely prefer Ryan, just because I think he's got better anticipation, football instincts and versatility as well as better agility and lateral movement.

If it weren't for the torn ACL in 2013, I would expect Ryan to go quite a bit higher. Its a bit of a tossup but I think most people have Ryan rated over Jones.

Not that combine results matter that much or anything, but here are their results for comparison.

Jake Ryan-40 time-4.65 Taiwan Jones-40 time-4.95

Jake Ryan-3 Cone Drill-7.11 Taiwan Jones-3 Cone Drill-7.25

Jake Ryan 20 yard shuttle-4.20 Taiwan Jones-20 yard shuttle-4.33

Agility definitely favors Ryan.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:12 PM ]
Well done Phoenix. I think it could look something very similar to this.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yes, I should have noted that Ryan has already recovered from his ACL injury.

As far as Jones and Ryan go, I'd definitely prefer Ryan, just because I think he's got better anticipation, football instincts and versatility. If it weren't for the torn ACL in 2013, I would expect Ryan to go quite a bit higher. Its a bit of a tossup but I think most people have Ryan rated over Jones.

I've seen it either way. But they are usually within shouting distance of each other. ILB is one position where I wouldn't want to take the injury risk though. We need someone who can stay on the field. Bowman has to be a question mark until he proves otherwise, plus it could take him a while to get back to game condition and instincts. And it gets pretty thin pretty quick after that. With Bowman on the field Wilhoite is a solid 2. As the #1 ILB, it's a little scary.

I would be excited for the Ryan pick as a player, but very worried about our depth and durability. This is an area where I'd go the safer route between two roughly equal options. The most important ability is availability.

Gonna be around for draft weekend? All hands on deck
I wouldn't complain about this, fills needs and you did a good job. But I think we need an ilb that can come in and compete for a starting job immediately.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Gonna be around for draft weekend? All hands on deck

Probably, been fighting off a bad cold for the past few days, planning on getting some rest but I'll do likely end up doing that in the draft "off hours."
I really like the Everett pick as well. He's someone I also strongly suspect we may draft late or sign as a UDFA.

I think Everett would be a nice pickup definitely, he's one of the names that kept coming up when I was looking at a developmental CB prospect. Another guy was Cam Thomas out of Western Kentucky, a bigger, physical press corner that I think the 49ers could also take a flyer on.
I like it I'm just not a big fan of a short RB in the third. He drafts a RB every year but, with the signing of Bush maybe he will skip a RB this year or pick one really late in the draft.
[ Edited by dlance on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:07 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone